996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

First Porsche - Buy Modded or Stock?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 07:12 PM
BeenThere is infamous around these parts
I went through the same dilemma three years ago. Having been out of sports cars and horsepower for a while (70s muscle and 240Zs back in the 80s), I wasn't sure whether to go stock or go all the way. I went midway with a 525-550 hp modded (K24s, flash, exhaust). I essentially got $30,000 of engine, suspension and body mods for free due to the aforementioned "depreciation" on mods. 15,000 miles later - no complications or breakage - I know I made a good compromise. Go ahead and do the same.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Romans 1:16 is just really niceRomans 1:16 is just really niceRomans 1:16 is just really niceRomans 1:16 is just really nice
Deciding on what and how much you want to do with your car is half the fun. If you're planning on keeping it somewhat mild, go with stock and have fun learning about what you want to do.

Plus a stock motor will almost always be "fresher" at the same mileage as a modded one.

However, if you can find one with suspension work and other mild mods, go for it and get the best of both worlds.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:22 PM
M3ANMACHINE is infamous around these parts
The GMG car without question!

How much are they asking for it if you don't mind me asking?

Old 09-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Having bought my 996TT nearly stock and having been able to look back on that decision for 2.5 years, I can say I would have purchased a more heavily modified car without any reservations if it was the right car for you (color, mileage, passed PPI, etc.). The prices of modifying these cars is really high relative to the world of cars I was used to, and even things like an exhaust are going to set you back a lot of money.

I think buying a car that already has wheels, a reflash, and an exhaust is great because you're getting all those expensive mods nearly for free (relative to prices when new). The most important thing is getting the right car attached to those mods though, so be prepared to look around. For instance, if you dream of a white 996TT, don't settle for any other color. If you want a 6MT, don't settle for a tiptronic equipped car. Do it right the first time!

Best wishes to you!

Old 09-14-2011, 05:19 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Get the modded one if it is well documented and comes through clean on the PPI. It will save you lot's of dollars in the long run.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:43 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I bought a modified car 4.5 years ago from the original owner (Well actually it went from the original owner, back to the dealer he originally bought it from new and then to me). It's not been a bad experience because I got all the documentation with the car. I was able to find the tuner (Kevin at UMW) and other vendors who sold the parts that were installed.

I've never had a single issue with mine, and I've only improved upon a package that was already pretty decent for the money. If you know you're going to modify the car later, I'd find someone (like me) who has done the hard work already and sorted the car out for you. You'll save a lot of time, a lot of cost, and a lot of potential headache in dealing with some less than honest vendors/tuners running around...

Mike

Old 09-15-2011, 04:16 AM
Carbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond repute
If the modded car is local, why not go drive it? Have you driven a regular 996TT before? I'd say even without having driven one or in one, a car with a professionally setup suspension is probably a big plus over the stock setup. What other modes does the GMG car have to go with the power upgrades?