996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Product Review: IPD Turbo and Header BLANKETS!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 02:33 PM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
Great write up Mike. I'm awaiting to have these put on my turbo as well! From the few test cars I've seen these on, they make quite a bit of improvement

Old 09-06-2011, 06:00 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Update: Pump file comparison

As promised, I want to provide additional and ongoing data and impressions on using these blankets.

I have a twin eprom setup from EVOMS. I have a race file and a 93 octane pump file. I have been using the race file thus far for best performance. However, I realize that many of you don't run on race fuel but still may be curious about this mod for your car.

Again, I will use the PBox as the measuring stick. The red speed line and the green g line are the blanketed car and the blue speed line and the black g line are the non-blanketed car.

As you can see by the chart and graph the blanketed car is approx 2.5% faster in a fourth gear 60-130 (7.21s vs. 7.39) These runs were done at essentially identical locations and conditions. The spool advantage is present but is much less than in the race gas runs. The blanketed car just pulls away during the entire run but especially at higher rpms (see enlarged graph).

Attached Images    
Old 09-06-2011, 06:01 PM
jonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to all
Lets hope we can get a group buy going right out of the gate

Old 09-06-2011, 06:05 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
For those of you that are more familiar with third gear pulls. Here are some 60-108 mph pulls with the pump file and blankets vs. no blankets similar to above.

As you can see the blankets pulled consistently harder giving a 60-100 in 3.12s compared to 3.19s. It also continues to out pull it clear to the cut off at 7000 rpm (~108-109 mph).

Attached Images   
Old 09-06-2011, 06:12 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Thank you for all the hard work collecting this data!

bob

Old 09-06-2011, 06:19 PM
One last addition for tonight.

Last night it was slightly cooler (ie 85F vs 90-95 remember drought and wildfires here). I went out with the pump file because I did not have any race fuel. The car ran a 6.88s 60-130 in warm temps on 93 oct!! Some may not be impressed but for these smallish snails in unfavorable conditions and uphill, that was amazing on pump. Dave conjectured that the blankets may give an increasing advantage as the temps drop. Perhaps he is right. Stay tuned...

Attached Images   
Old 09-06-2011, 06:36 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Dang that's a great time on pump! Nice work Mike!

Old 09-06-2011, 09:28 PM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
This has got to be one of the most interesting and innovative solutions I've seen in a while!
Definitely subscribed!

That said, I have to say, with respect to 997tt's - I have just gone through quite an expensive exercise repairing my VTG's. They are delicate pieces of machinery, subjected to extreme forces and temperatures - so I'd be very weary as to what the long term effects of such a "heat shield/blanket" would be.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:44 PM
kw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud of
Subscribed, I wonder for those who are concern about the turbos in long term can maybe consider just the header wrap.

I think I'll call Mike or Greg since I'm in the 714 area

Old 09-07-2011, 07:51 AM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Well this is interesting. Going through EVOMS catalog, here is what they say about their headers:

"The larger diameter primary tubes increase exhaust volume to the turbos while reducing exhaust gas temperatures (EGT's) on high power applications. Power gains are increased up to 30+ HP and 30+ Ft. TQ, depending on the application and EGT's are lowered by 50 degrees C."

They specifically talk about reducing temperatures (among other things like size/diameters) as being a benefit.

Last edited by pureporsche; 09-07-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:04 AM
I logged EGTs last night running 60-130s on race gas. Ambient temps were around 80F. EGTs ranged from 930-1080F from beginning to end of run.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:45 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MBailey
I logged EGTs last night running 60-130s on race gas. Ambient temps were around 80F. EGTs ranged from 930-1080F from beginning to end of run.
is that sustainable EGT? those are good numbers, x<1200F is safe ... well done Mike

Old 09-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Are EGT's lower with race gas than 93 ?

Old 09-07-2011, 12:51 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ yes they should be...

Old 09-07-2011, 03:08 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
I would be very interested in these but am concerned about the long term effect on the turbo's. I am looking for a solution to decrease the turbo lag. Increase in power is not as important as less lag. I hope this is a good and safe solution.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Product Review: IPD Turbo and Header BLANKETS!