996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.
View Poll Results: Mods for a 996 TT
Mods for a tt
75.00%
Evolution kits ??
25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

69 camaro vs. 996 TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 08:02 AM
spinntt is infamous around these parts
69 camaro vs. 996 TT

About 6 monthsago i took out my 69 z-28 camaro, and raced it against my new 996 TT. Wow, what a race!!! Both running street gas, and street tires. Camaro running a small block ZZ-4 motor (425 hp) with many other mods. Stock TT with (415 hp). Took them down 9A with Joefixx driving the TT and My dad driveing the Camaro. We backed down the traffic until we had an open road to give them there all from 0-60-100- top speeds. Right off the line the camaro got completely sideways!!! no traction with a 410 rear end, but still pulled away from the TT like it was a civic. at 35 mph the car finally hooked up sending it to a 2 car lenghth lead! as soon as the tt hit a .8 boost bar in first the car caught up very quickly. shifting into 2nd really closed the gap!! @ 70 mph the TT and camaro were neck and neck!! after the TT hit 3rd, it was gone!!!!!!!!!!!!! any body have big HP kits for a TT that are reliable??????

Old 04-24-2005, 08:46 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Evo, Imagine Auto, PES all have reliable upgrades that many on this board have significant miles with. Just a matter of how much HP and how much you want to spend.

Old 04-24-2005, 09:01 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
I could see a big block running close from the light. Most old school cars ran 13s and 12s from the factory. That was damn fast. Some of the fastest cars of that era were high 11s. Doesn't seem like much now, but back then that was moving a small house weight wise. Today your stock TT is able to hit low 12s with the right diver. Wind resistance and efficiency will kill the old school ion the hwy without question. Brakes, well they never really had them back then

Any level kit would put you ahead and keep you ahead if that is the goal.

Old 04-24-2005, 09:43 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
You need to learn how to drive your TT properly. There is no way that a 69 Camaro with 425HP and a 411 read axle could keep up with a TT at any speed. Than Camaro might turn low 13's in the quarter or with luck, hight 12's. However, the trap speed was quite high.

Now, my old 66 427 Cobra would have been a different story.

Of note, only a few 1970 and earlier muscle cars could break 13 seconds in the 1/4 mile. Traction and tranny were the biggest negatives for these cars. Even the big block Checy's could only get mid to high 12's in the most favorable conditions.

Last edited by 1999Porsche911; 04-24-2005 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:39 PM
Foster is infamous around these parts
Few questions for all you gurus out there:

1. If you wanted to go crazy with a 69 camaro convertible, what would you do to it? Assuming you wanted best performance in a straight line that was still streetable. Also, is there a specific performance shop that is recommended?

2. Are there other forums dedicated to hotrodding old muscle cars that you are aware of and would recommend?

Thanks!

--Foster

Old 04-27-2005, 01:39 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
Originally posted by Foster
If you wanted to go crazy with a 69 camaro convertible, what would you do to it? Assuming you wanted best performance in a straight line that was still streetable.
Trade it for a coupe, strip the entire interior, half chassis it and fit the biggest wheel tubs you can without modifying the stock rear quarter panels or parcel shelf plus a four link and Ford 9" rear end.

Drop in monster engine of choice (528 Aluminium Hemi, 720 Chev, etc) and fit fuel injection. Then back this with a street/competition gearbox a la Liberty, G Force, et al.

A bit more crazy: Then fit an ATI procharger supercharger kit.

Really insane: Fit twin turbochargers.

Old 04-27-2005, 02:05 AM
Cary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really nice
Originally posted by Foster
Few questions for all you gurus out there:

1. If you wanted to go crazy with a 69 camaro convertible, what would you do to it? Assuming you wanted best performance in a straight line that was still streetable. Also, is there a specific performance shop that is recommended?

--Foster
Cut the front end off and tube it then build proper designed/legth a-arms with drag specific shocks. Tub the rear and put in a 4 link sub frame using proper coil over shocks with a shortened axle running positive offset 15X15 wheels and 33†tall tires. Put a roll cage in to stiffen the chassis and try to get as much weight out of it you can. Go with a blown Donavan big block maybe some squeeze putting you from 1400 to 2000 hp, slam it on the ground and have some fun. oh...don't forget some good brakes

Old 04-27-2005, 02:08 AM
Cary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really nice
whoa... I think we wrote those at exactly the same time!!! on the same track, huh!!

Old 04-27-2005, 02:59 AM
Re: 69 camaro vs. 996 TT

Originally posted by spinntt
About 6 monthsago i took out my 69 z-28 camaro, and raced it against my new 996 TT. Wow, what a race!!! Both running street gas, and street tires. Camaro running a small block ZZ-4 motor (425 hp) with many other mods. Stock TT with (415 hp). Took them down 9A with Joefixx driving the TT and My dad driveing the Camaro. We backed down the traffic until we had an open road to give them there all from 0-60-100- top speeds. Right off the line the camaro got completely sideways!!! no traction with a 410 rear end, but still pulled away from the TT like it was a civic. at 35 mph the car finally hooked up sending it to a 2 car lenghth lead! as soon as the tt hit a .8 boost bar in first the car caught up very quickly. shifting into 2nd really closed the gap!! @ 70 mph the TT and camaro were neck and neck!! after the TT hit 3rd, it was gone!!!!!!!!!!!!! any body have big HP kits for a TT that are reliable??????
Actually I was just in a 69 with a 350 motor they said it was well over 400 hp. We took the car out and he prep me for the “ride of my life†then said let it rip and don’t worry because I couldn’t hurt anything. I was rolling 5 to 10 miles per hour, took it up to about 4500 rpm and side step the clutch. It just sorta stood there like it was in the mud and made all kinds of cool sounds and when it was at about 7,000 rpm without lifting my foot off the gas I just clutched and pulled to second as fast as I could and as it hit around 65 or 70 mile per hour I started having high school flash backs as the dash shook and rattling so hard I thought we were going to crack something. After it made it through that, I did a repeat of the shift action to 3rd and held on for dear life as the car was noisy but, surprisingly slow and a complete hand full to keep pointed straight … if my TT does a 12 there is NO WAY this thing could do a 13 .. the car is boring and flat out slow. It would be lucky to do mid 14’s. Anyway, it’s now time to slow it down … Whooooaaaa Nelly!!! We forget that these are 35 year old piles of **** that don’t stop!!!!! I have to tell you, I don’t think there’s anyone on here that wants or likes 69 Camaro’s more than I do but, there is nothing about one of those cars performance wise that can compare to a modern TT in any shape or form. Not sure what you guys did but I don’t see anyway a front biased 2wd car with 8†rims that wheel hops and jumps all over the place while it sits there and spins the tires could come anywhere close to the launch or an electronic fuel injected AWD car with 11†rear tires and 8†fronts. Again, I really love those old cars but I’m pretty sure my E55 would have killed this thing while driving with one hand and drinking coffee with the other… It’s like comparing your old 286 computer with 8meg RAM to what you’re using now. I think your 69 must have a LOT more than just 425 HP. Not to question you but I think it would take a 69 with about 600 hp and some sticky drag street tires to do what your car did. No doubt a set up 69 could be built to be faster but if you have comparable power there couldn’t be a chance because those cars are a lot more inefficient by comparison. just my .02

Last edited by Cary Eisenlohr; 04-27-2005 at 03:07 AM.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:23 AM
aj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Re: 69 camaro vs. 996 TT

Originally posted by Cary Eisenlohr
Actually I was just in a 69 with a 350 motor they said it was well over 400 hp. We took the car out and he prep me for the “ride of my life†then said let it rip and don’t worry because I couldn’t hurt anything. I was rolling 5 to 10 miles per hour, took it up to about 4500 rpm and side step the clutch. It just sorta stood there like it was in the mud and made all kinds of cool sounds and when it was at about 7,000 rpm without lifting my foot off the gas I just clutched and pulled to second as fast as I could and as it hit around 65 or 70 mile per hour I started having high school flash backs as the dash shook and rattling so hard I thought we were going to crack something. After it made it through that, I did a repeat of the shift action to 3rd and held on for dear life as the car was noisy but, surprisingly slow and a complete hand full to keep pointed straight … if my TT does a 12 there is NO WAY this thing could do a 13 .. the car is boring and flat out slow. It would be lucky to do mid 14’s. Anyway, it’s now time to slow it down … Whooooaaaa Nelly!!! We forget that these are 35 year old piles of **** that don’t stop!!!!! I have to tell you, I don’t think there’s anyone on here that wants or likes 69 Camaro’s more than I do but, there is nothing about one of those cars performance wise that can compare to a modern TT in any shape or form. Not sure what you guys did but I don’t see anyway a front biased 2wd car with 8†rims that wheel hops and jumps all over the place while it sits there and spins the tires could come anywhere close to the launch or an electronic fuel injected AWD car with 11†rear tires and 8†fronts. Again, I really love those old cars but I’m pretty sure my E55 would have killed this thing while driving with one hand and drinking coffee with the other… It’s like comparing your old 286 computer with 8meg RAM to what you’re using now. I think your 69 must have a LOT more than just 425 HP. Not to question you but I think it would take a 69 with about 600 hp and some sticky drag street tires to do what your car did. No doubt a set up 69 could be built to be faster but if you have comparable power there couldn’t be a chance because those cars are a lot more inefficient by comparison. just my .02
Yeah, we tend to remember these old cars as faster than they were. The icon of the time, the Cobra, was used about 5-10 years ago in a car mag's 0-100-0 test. For a 30+year-old car, it performed well, but was nowhere near the test winner, which was a 993 Twin Turbo. Crap, I remember as a kid reading about a blazing fast car that got 0-60 in 7.5 seconds (it was a Ferrari). In the 1960s, most performance cars actually turned 14-17 second 1/4 mile times, with some of the true muscle cars being in the 13s and maybe even 12s with an optimistic clock and Kentucky windage. These cars were great for their time and are highly desireable, but in stock form, they do not compete with today's top sports cars.

Old 04-27-2005, 05:37 PM
Foster is infamous around these parts
Wow, thanks for the detailed responses.

I was actually looking for something a little less extreme but it was very interesting to read your recommendations.

I will have to admit to some nostalgia about getting an old muscle car to play around with. I know it won't compare to a TT but it could still be fun.

But after reading this information it sounds like I would not really be getting what I want...

Oh well, back to the drawing board!

Thanks again for taking time to respond.

--Foster