996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

About to do an Upsolute tune. Good idea?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 06:51 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
About to do an Upsolute tune. Good idea?

I have been searching for a good tune with cost in mind. I was thinking EPL, but may have been persuaded to try Upsolute. They say I will get a 90HP gain with my stock 996TT. Can anyone confirm they have a good tune?

Old 09-16-2011, 07:18 PM
legendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud of
Upsolute is not recommended. Go with UMW, EPL or any other reputable vendor on here

Old 09-16-2011, 07:37 PM
dmilzoff is infamous around these parts
I got the UpSolute tune over 6 years ago. The car showed 415 HP on a 4 wheel dyno (90+ hp gain). At that time they unsoldered the chip from the ECU and soldered in a new one (I still have the original). If they they still do that, I would not use UpSolute.
I have had check engine light VERY seldom but am very happy considering the cost.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:01 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BOOSTTT
I have been searching for a good tune with cost in mind. I was thinking EPL, but may have been persuaded to try Upsolute. They say I will get a 90HP gain with my stock 996TT. Can anyone confirm they have a good tune?

How have you been persuaded?

Most here would probably recommend:

EPL
EVOMS
Proto
Softronic
Switzer

Old 09-16-2011, 08:16 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
It seems some have issues with just about any tune, and I have been warned about some and recommended others, then warned against those "others" as well, so now I have no idea. I don't know why the ECU can't be socketed like all us 300ZXTT owners do, and then we just swap new chips or get them dyno tuned. I have never once heard a problem with a socketed in chip b4. 3 out of those 5 you listed I have been warned about for various reasons, and now Upsolute, so are there any tuners that I can trust? legendr34....Why not? Your the only person that said no so far. A 90HP gain sounds good to me? It's been dyno proven. How are they not reputable? They are worldwide, and have been around a long time. Confused....

Last edited by BOOSTTT; 09-16-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:26 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Most likely you'll have been warned against one tuner by somebody that uses another tuner

Best bet is this......call each one of them personally, tell them what you'd like to do, and ask them what they can offer

Something often overlooked is customer service, make sure they can look after you, both now and in the future

PM me about the 3 you've been warned against and for what reasons
I'd be interested to hear

Old 09-16-2011, 08:32 PM
OK I can now see there is no room for a socket. Upsolute does still solder the chip in/out. Is it not recommended because it's just not as convenient as a flash with a com cable. What are the other downsides? PM me please if you don't want to post here. Thanks for any input.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:41 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
You can't go wrong with any of the following

GIAC
EPL
EVO
UMW
Proto
911 tuning (proto)

I'm not sure about the others (it's worth asking), GIAC does have a hand held controller which allows stock, tuned, race gas, valet and kill settings.

Remember, the satisfaction of low cost is forgotten long after the bitterness of poor quality remains

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 09-16-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:56 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Stay away from Upsolute... I tried it years ago and gained nothing!

Old 09-16-2011, 10:03 PM
ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !
am running softronic , very good and am very happy!
you also search for
911tunning.com , he is very great guy to deal with

Old 09-17-2011, 01:06 AM
OK, OK,....I think I'm gonna stick with my first choice (EPL) and help support Dave and his new twins. I had just pulled my ECU and was about to ship it off, but glad I did not. I may do a couple supporting mods to be sure I'm not pushing things too hard. I'm sure a 4.2bar fuel pressure reg would help, and possibly some new diverter valves if the stockers seem to not be holding well. I'll do injector upgrades as soon as I can get a few bucks saved up. My 996TT has under 50K miles and seems to be running like new, so I may not need to upgrade the diverter valves. We'll see. I hear they are a pain to install too, but nothing can be worse than working on a 300ZXTT. It takes me a couple hours to just remove 2 bolts at times. UUGGG. Teaches patients, but is a killer on the old back. LOL Thanks for everyone's input and P.M's. This is a great forum. I'm glad I found you guys.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:03 AM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
Let me know if you need any assistance.

Would you rather unsolder/solder a chip on to your Porsche ECU or flash it through a cable on your laptop?

Old 09-17-2011, 07:59 AM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BOOSTTT
OK, OK,....I think I'm gonna stick with my first choice (EPL) and help support Dave and his new twins. I had just pulled my ECU and was about to ship it off, but glad I did not. I may do a couple supporting mods to be sure I'm not pushing things too hard. I'm sure a 4.2bar fuel pressure reg would help, and possibly some new diverter valves if the stockers seem to not be holding well. I'll do injector upgrades as soon as I can get a few bucks saved up. My 996TT has under 50K miles and seems to be running like new, so I may not need to upgrade the diverter valves. We'll see. I hear they are a pain to install too, but nothing can be worse than working on a 300ZXTT. It takes me a couple hours to just remove 2 bolts at times. UUGGG. Teaches patients, but is a killer on the old back. LOL Thanks for everyone's input and P.M's. This is a great forum. I'm glad I found you guys.
I am an EVOMS customer, but I do repsect Switzer and Proto as they are top notch outfits. I have tried long distance tunes with UMW and long distance builds with EVOMS. Locality is a factor and if you are in Tucson you would be crazy not to visit EVOMS in Tempe. If you you were in OH you would be crazy to not visit Switzer...

Old 09-17-2011, 09:20 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KPG
I am an EVOMS customer, but I do repsect Switzer and Proto as they are top notch outfits. I have tried long distance tunes with UMW and long distance builds with EVOMS. Locality is a factor and if you are in Tucson you would be crazy not to visit EVOMS in Tempe. If you you were in OH you would be crazy to not visit Switzer...
This.

Since the OP is talking about a 'off the shelf, first step, retail tune", the differences between vendors performance is (IMO) non-existent. Therefore the next issue is support and troubleshooting- and additional mods. Not that there will be issues with the tune, but with the car... select your tune based on how the vendor will be able to support you and how you want your service done.

Nothing worse than buying a tune like it is a set of tires, then bringing the car to a shop and they say "Oh, we never use that tune- it make them run [insert problem you are having] and you'll need to swap that out"

A

PS When I first read this thread, my one thought was "How could this guys possibly have been convinced Upsolute was a good tune?!?!

Old 09-17-2011, 09:27 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ant_8u
most likely you'll have been warned against one tuner by somebody that uses another tuner

best bet is this......call each one of them personally, tell them what you'd like to do, and ask them what they can offer

something often overlooked is customer service, make sure they can look after you, both now and in the future

pm me about the 3 you've been warned against and for what reasons
i'd be interested to hear
.... Agreed!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: About to do an Upsolute tune. Good idea?