996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Coping with loss of my 996TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 05:48 AM
dwdwdwwd is infamous around these parts
Coping with loss of my 996TT

This is just as much an entertainment as it is a serious thread

I loved my 996TT. It was my dream car and my baby. I'm a bit younger (21 at the time of my loss ). I was spending a winter in Spain and quickly figured out that cops turn their heads away when you drive a sports car with foreign licence plates.

So I kept pushing my Turbo. Crazy speeds, just having fun (and still making sure not to put any of other drivers in danger - I'm very strict about that).

I started to drive with PSM turned off. And then one day I'm driving around with fully loaded trunk. Still trying to push the limits. At about 90 MPH I lost control spun out and after sliding for few dozen feet I hit a curb with my rear wheel. I had incredible luck. Not a single scratch. No damage on anything other than my beloved 996TT.

I loaded Turbo on a truck. Got it back home and after inspection learned that the wheel was pushed in engine and broke everything possible. I sold it on a spot to my car guy for parts.

I bought a Cayenne Turbo and 2008 C-class Benz. My rationalization was that I'm TOO YOUNG TO DRIVE A CAR LIKE TURBO.

It's been 6 months now. I'm missing my 996TT every single day. Not being able to sit in my car and just enjoy it. Even if it means driving slow and just knowing that I have a mechanical masterpiece behind my back.

How do you guys cope with it after selling your Turbos? I see one driving past me and just want to scream to the driver to watch his baby and make sure nothing happens to it. Buying one is out of the question at the moment.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:10 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
i went two weeks in between tt ownership. marked by bouts of nausea, muscle cramps, and sweating profusely.

after reading your story i agree with your assessment that you may have been to young to responsibly drive one. so now you have a turbo suv. terrific. i feel much safer.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:50 AM
RxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by dwdwdwwd
This is just as much an entertainment as it is a serious thread

I loved my 996TT. It was my dream car and my baby. I'm a bit younger (21 at the time of my loss ). I was spending a winter in Spain and quickly figured out that cops turn their heads away when you drive a sports car with foreign licence plates.

So I kept pushing my Turbo. Crazy speeds, just having fun (and still making sure not to put any of other drivers in danger - I'm very strict about that).

I started to drive with PSM turned off. And then one day I'm driving around with fully loaded trunk. Still trying to push the limits. At about 90 MPH I lost control spun out and after sliding for few dozen feet I hit a curb with my rear wheel. I had incredible luck. Not a single scratch. No damage on anything other than my beloved 996TT.

I loaded Turbo on a truck. Got it back home and after inspection learned that the wheel was pushed in engine and broke everything possible. I sold it on a spot to my car guy for parts.

I bought a Cayenne Turbo and 2008 C-class Benz. My rationalization was that I'm TOO YOUNG TO DRIVE A CAR LIKE TURBO.

It's been 6 months now. I'm missing my 996TT every single day. Not being able to sit in my car and just enjoy it. Even if it means driving slow and just knowing that I have a mechanical masterpiece behind my back.

How do you guys cope with it after selling your Turbos? I see one driving past me and just want to scream to the driver to watch his baby and make sure nothing happens to it. Buying one is out of the question at the moment.
That is a really sad story RIP for your 996 TT. I have a Cayenne Turbo before and it do not compare to the 996 TT. This car is simply amazing just wait a few more years and get other one. But please read this a few times. "NEVER EVER RIDE WITH THE PSM OFF"

Old 09-20-2011, 08:53 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
PSM+high speeds=disaster.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:39 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
PSM+high speeds=disaster.
You probably meant; PSM-off+high speeds=disaster?

Old 09-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
PSM-off in Spain? You are (were) brave! Some roads in Spain are really slippery; I guess you found out the hard way. Yeah swinging your tail out with PSM-off can be fun, but turbo is not ideally suited for it. It goes from under-steer to snap on over-steer in a blink of an eye. If you are pushing; now you have it, now you don’t. Yep you will miss it. But just get another one and keep the PSM-on on public roads.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Mattyrae is infamous around these parts
Too much car for someone that young. I put my RX-7 FD in a ditch, and to repaint the entire car. I was being foolish when I was giving a friend a ride. Only rip it in a straight line now a days with my exotics. If I feel the need some day to take corners at high speeds, I will do it at a driving class or Exoticar Racing.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:10 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Terminator
You probably meant; PSM-off+high speeds=disaster?
Yea, oops! Long day and only 1 cup ó joe this am.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:35 PM
bad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond repute
just curious, what did you sell it for?

I am trying to plan ahead here...

Old 09-20-2011, 01:10 PM
dwdwdwwd is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
after reading your story i agree with your assessment that you may have been to young to responsibly drive one. so now you have a turbo suv. terrific. i feel much safer.
Learned my lesson. I'm more responsible this days. I'm driving my CTT like an old lady

Originally Posted by Terminator
PSM-off in Spain? You are (were) brave! Some roads in Spain are really slippery;
EXACTLY!!! It was early in the day (late winter). Roads still a bit wet from humid air the night before. Slippery as hell. Went from a decent surface to very bad surface. Not an excuse but a fact. I loved those roads. I could get my car to over-steer and still have control. Didn't count on changing road surface.

Originally Posted by Mattyrae
Too much car for someone that young.
Too young? Yes. Too foolish? YEEES. I would handle things differently now. Not a cheap lesson. But I was lucky that it was only damage on my car and it set me straight.

Originally Posted by bad107
just curious, what did you sell it for?

I am trying to plan ahead here...
Please don't do anything stupid You'll be sorry later. I got about 30k$ for that car. Decent 2002 996TT goes for about 70k$ here in eastern europe.

I worked my *** of for my dream car and crashed it. I think that was the best possible lesson. I love porsches and loved Turbo. This one had to sacrifice to save all future P-cars I'll own

Last edited by dwdwdwwd; 09-20-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:47 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mattyrae
Too much car for someone that young. I put my RX-7 FD in a ditch, and to repaint the entire car. I was being foolish when I was giving a friend a ride. Only rip it in a straight line now a days with my exotics. If I feel the need some day to take corners at high speeds, I will do it at a driving class or Exoticar Racing.
Haha, I took my 600hp RX-7 into a freeway median at 21 after getting back from Iraq. Yeah... learned the hard way. I put around in an e30 now, I drive the porsche fast on the track where it's somewhat safe.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:22 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dwdwdwwd
Learned my lesson. I'm more responsible this days. I'm driving my CTT like an old lady
i hear ya. someone pulled out in front of me a couple months ago, and my insurance co decided to total my last tt which i've happily replaced ( man, there's a lotta used silver tt's ).. i was not at fault, and yet..

i agree, there's nothing like totalling a tt on city streets to slow us down i am glad however, that you've been practicing in spain