996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Shifter cable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 10:32 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Shifter cable?

My car has 80,000 miles now – runs like a dream. However this has now happened to me three times in a last month; when on full throttle and I change from 2nd to 3rd I miss the shift (accompanied with a bit of a grinding noise). It’s like the shifter wants to slot it into 1st! Either I am getting old stupid and imprecise or something went out of sync. I never missed shifts. If I drive normaly it does not happen, only when I rush the shift. Is it possible that shifter cable stretched? Does it go out of adjustment by itself? Do you guys adjust on regular basis? What’s the score here? Thanks.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:34 PM
vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Terminator
My car has 80,000 miles now – runs like a dream. However this has now happened to me three times in a last month; when on full throttle and I change from 2nd to 3rd I miss the shift (accompanied with a bit of a grinding noise). It’s like the shifter wants to slot it into 1st! Either I am getting old stupid and imprecise or something went out of sync. I never missed shifts. If I drive normaly it does not happen, only when I rush the shift. Is it possible that shifter cable stretched? Does it go out of adjustment by itself? Do you guys adjust on regular basis? What’s the score here? Thanks.
Had this lock out happen today. Anybody?

Old 03-08-2012, 06:59 AM
vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vr4henry
Had this lock out happen today. Anybody?
Update: went through and realigned my cables with the green 997 tool last night. Found a lock washer a lazy tech let drop when installing the Cup Car cables. Added that to the missing shift end, hopefully it'll stay where it's supposed to now. I'll update back if I get locked out again.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:07 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I've had this problem on track, usually when turning and there is a side load on the car. Some think it is from the stock soft motor mounts that allow the motor to shift slightly and affect the cables. Some think it comes from a worn transmission mount. Shifting too fast also seems to contribute to the problem. Henry, I'm surprised that you had this happen with the cup car cables. Only way I have been able to avoid it is by slowing down my 2nd to 3rd gear shift into a diffinite 2 part shift, first to neutral, then into 3rd. You don't need to double clutch but you do have to pause slightly after going into neutral. Hope that helps. My car has the transmission mount upgrade and Wevo motor mounts but will still make a balky shift if I rush it.

Last edited by landjet; 03-09-2012 at 04:17 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by landjet
I've had this problem on track, usually when turning and there is a side load on the car. Some think it is from the stock soft motor mounts that allow the motor to shift slightly and affect the cables. Some think it comes from a worn transmission mount. Shifting too fast also seems to contribute to the problem. Henry, i'm surprised that you had this happen with the cup car cables. Only way I have been able to avoid it is by slowing down my 2nd to 3rd gear shift into a diffinite 2 part shift, first to neutral, then into 3rd. You don't need to double clutch but you do have to pause slightly after going into neutral. Hope that helps. My car has the transmission mount upgrade and Wevo motor mounts but will still make a balky shift if I rush it.
Larry, I think my problem was a sloppy adjusted end on the cable itself. I tightened it up and seems to be a-ok now. After messing around down there for quite some time, I'm not surprised at all that the shifts don't line up well. Not of it is very precise... Even with cup cables and 997SSK. Better than stock.. but still.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:41 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
Is the green 997 alignment tool what comes with the shifter? I have this odd part that came with my shifter... wasn't sure what it's for. It's clamped on the shift rod itself...

Old 03-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by PAULUNM
Is the green 997 alignment tool what comes with the shifter? I have this odd part that came with my shifter... wasn't sure what it's for. It's clamped on the shift rod itself...
As long as it's not installed in your car... yes. You won't be able to move the shifter around with the green thing in place.

Here's a pic
:

Last edited by vr4henry; 03-08-2012 at 09:37 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 03-09-2012, 08:56 AM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
So, do you use the alignment tool to mark the cable on your existing shifter, then use it again when you install the new shifter?

Old 03-09-2012, 08:59 AM
So, do you use the alignment tool to mark the cable on your existing shifter, then use it again when you install the new shifter?
Nope. you don't have to mark the old shift levers. But I guess you could just in case you ever had to switch back.

You just clip in the green thing then adjust the cables to where its not pushing/pulling the shifter at rest. It'll make more sense once you're in there. You just don't want to 'preload' the cables in any direction, and the green thing centers the shifter.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by vr4henry
Nope. you don't have to mark the old shift levers. But I guess you could just in case you ever had to switch back.

You just clip in the green thing then adjust the cables to where its not pushing/pulling the shifter at rest. It'll make more sense once you're in there. You just don't want to 'preload' the cables in any direction, and the green thing centers the shifter.
Thanks!!

Old 03-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by landjet
I've had this problem on track, usually when turning and there is a side load on the car. Some think it is from the stock soft motor mounts that allow the motor to shift slightly and affect the cables. Some think it comes from a worn transmission mount. Shifting too fast also seems to contribute to the problem. Henry, I'm surprised that you had this happen with the cup car cables. Only way I have been able to avoid it is by slowing down my 2nd to 3rd gear shift into a diffinite 2 part shift, first to neutral, then into 3rd. You don't need to double clutch but you do have to pause slightly after going into neutral. Hope that helps. My car has the transmission mount upgrade and Wevo motor mounts but will still make a balky shift if I rush it.
That sounds like my problem. Have been doing the same shifting practice and all good now. Good to know I am not the only one. Tanx Larry.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
What ever you do, don't lose that. It locks you shifter in position to set the cables.