996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

diehard manual transmission guys.... where do you stand now ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 08:59 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kennyPride
Ok gents I realize a lot of history and tradition is at play here, so it is difficult to pull away from the pure sense of driving a sports car. But I'm afraid we will come to recognize a true sports car is one that is faster and that will come in the form of a paddle shifter. Tomorrow we will appreciate the skills to shift at precisely the right millisecond and be right in the meat of the power band "boost" and rocket away from the historians that held onto their antiquated manual shifter. Kenny
Huh? A sports car is one that is faster? That means there could be only one true sports car then? Where did you come up with that from.

My first question would be what did the manual transmission Carrera S run? Secondly, manuals get the short end of the stick most times, because the paddle shifts also have better gearing. In reality the difference in speed is not all that great (other than maybe launching).

Old 09-25-2011, 09:40 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
I hear what you guys are saying.. But, don't you think it would be just as much fun to drive in a modded 991 with a free flowing exhaust, and you shift down from 6th to 2nd, in milliseconds... You can actually hear that mechanical downshift take place and I guarantee that a pdk will be more fun with an experienced driver than would a manual.
No. That is what many are trying to tell you...

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 09-25-2011, 10:05 AM
bng4god has a spectacular aura aboutbng4god has a spectacular aura about
If I wanted paddle shifting, I would buy a sedan or minivan. For me, part of the sports car experience is rowing the gears - I don't care if the same car with paddle shifters is 3-8 tenths faster. It's not all about performance numbers - it's about the experience...

Old 09-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
I look forward to seeing what the new Porsche 7 speed manual can do. The gearing is based on the PDK.

I had a car with shifter paddles - granted not a PDK, but it got boring really fast. This discussion has been beaten to death countless times. People that love manuals will always love manuals until they are unable to perform the task.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:40 AM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by STEVE KOJASEVIC
I hear what you guys are saying.. But, don't you think it would be just as much fun to drive in a modded 991 with a free flowing exhaust, and you shift down from 6th to 2nd, in milliseconds... You can actually hear that mechanical downshift take place and I guarantee that a pdk will be more fun with an experienced driver than would a manual. When I think of pdk I think of precission, i
Precision that you have no part in the operation other than a flick of your hand = unsatisfying to me.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:29 PM
GRGx3 is infamous around these parts
PDK I am sure is faster but I think the manual is more fun. I get tired of the paddle shifters.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:07 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I know several guys who have owned paddle shift cars and they've all said the same thing... Total lack of interacton and lack of "enjoyment" once the newness wears off. ChrisfromCali is here and over on Teamspeed. He just unloaded a Carrera 4S and it had PDK. He told me flat out it was BORING and that he wouldn't get another. Ping him for a first hand account from a Porsche-file who tried to make the switch.

All that said, If you think you'll enjoy it, then make the switch. Me? I have three track cars. All have manual boxes... I don't feel at a disadvantage with any of them. But I do match revs and know how to heel/toe properly... If you don't "learn" to drive a manual box, you'll always think you'll be faster in something else.

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 09-25-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:15 PM
Twinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud of
I am on my 3rd tip 911 (currently 03 tt) and have had great driving experinces with all of them. You can actually learn some nuances when downshifting a tip transmission and it allows me to concentrate on maximum braking, hitting proper apexes and rolling back on to the throttle as early and smoothly as possible. Would I like faster shifts, the ability to skip gears on downshifts and match revs? Absolutely, so my next tranny will be a PDK! Having a transmission that improves my performance driving equates to more fun for me, not less.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:50 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Twinturbofan
I am on my 3rd tip 911 (currently 03 tt) and have had great driving experinces with all of them. You can actually learn some nuances when downshifting a tip transmission and it allows me to concentrate on maximum braking, hitting proper apexes and rolling back on to the throttle as early and smoothly as possible. Would I like faster shifts, the ability to skip gears on downshifts and match revs? Absolutely, so my next tranny will be a PDK! Having a transmission that improves my performance driving equates to more fun for me, not less.

It hasn't improved your driving though, it has only covered your inadequacies. Try driving without ABS and see how bad you are at braking. I did it this weekend and learned my lesson. You can then actually learn what's going on and that will make you better WITH the ABS, but otherwise you'd just trust in the technology and think you had something to do with it, when you didn't.

You can still maximize braking (which should be done at the beginning of the braking zone anyways, not at turn-in) , hit apexes and roll back on the throttle early with a manual, it just takes more skill to do so.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:02 PM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
I have the SQS sequential shifter in my GT2, and besides the car itself, it is the funnest driving experience I have ever had. I guess ultimately it is just a matter of what you like. From an analytical standpoint, if pure performance is the name of the game and emotions aside, then PDK/electro-mechanical paddle shifting cannot be denied.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:24 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Hehe... another manual thread ....

I tried paddles in the M5 and came right back - simple as that. Its all preference - the perfect shifts and blips were nice but I just missed rowing! I know that eventually I will have to buy a paddle car because they won't make many more vehicles in stick. I believe that this decade is the last hold out and post 2020 manufacturers will be few and far between for MT. Its a dieing breed and I wish I could just go on a collection spree and pickup all the ones I want and store them !!! Here is my list just incase and of you are interested :

- 2005 Porsche Carrera GT (Manual) - so rare.
- 2010 ///M5 E60 V10 (Manual) - so hard to find.
- 2010 ///M6 E63 Cab (Manual) - impossible to find.
- 2011 Ferrari 599 GTB (Manual) - special order
- 2011 Panamera S (Manual) - not available in NA.
- 2010 Porsche GT3 (grey black colour) - only seen one.

I want to start a blog based on reviewing and teaching MT to enthusiasts alike. I wish I had more disposable time - maybe sometime in the future! I will definitely be putting the idea out there very soon, hopefully some of you will join and contribute.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
manual for life unless my left leg is amputated....even then I'd get a new leg
I think PDK might be fun in a DD but that's about it, not my cup of tea.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:31 PM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
I would hope the manufacturers will always cater to the consumers, and if stick is what the people with the money want, that's what they will get, at least for a while longer. I think by the time stick shifts have gone, my knees will be too shot to push the clutch in anyway.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:08 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
I like manual as well. But let's face it sequential boxes are the way of the future presently or coming to the sports car and performance market

Old 09-26-2011, 02:48 AM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
It's the one and only reason i will never own a GTR.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: diehard manual transmission guys.... where do you stand now ?