996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

diehard manual transmission guys.... where do you stand now ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 06:37 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
diehard manual transmission guys.... where do you stand now ?

I thought i would always, absolutely without a doubt stay a manual transmission guy...

But, after reading that the 991 carrera S did a 7:40, i think im going to be strongly considering a flappy paddle system next...

and mind you, i literally am that guy that rev matches, throttle blips and heel and toes EVERY time i drive my car.

so, to the guys that consider(ed) themselves a die hard manual driver, what are your thoughts now ?

Old 09-24-2011, 06:47 PM
6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough
^ I still never want a PDK or F1 or SMG or any other car.

I like traditional manual ... sure PDK runs slightly better times but IMO not having a traditional manual takes a lot of the fun out of the car.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Agree...From what I have heard several times from driving enthusiats, after 2 weeks it will become boring and you will want to sell the car for a manual. Personally, since I like the involvement, I would not buy one unless there was a good reason such as knee problem, age, etc.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 09-24-2011, 06:57 PM
6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
Agree...From what I have heard several times from driving enthusiats, after 2 weeks it will become boring and you will want to sell the car for a manual. Personally, since I like the involvement, I would not buy one unless there was a good reason such as knee problem, age, etc.
Even though Im only 24 I have a bad left knee (bball accident when I was 10 , chipped a piece of kneecap off , permanent floating fracture)

I still refuse to drive auto... I suck it up and deal with the pain my z06 is manual (obviously) and I just dont see the point in me buying an auto car anytime soon

A huge turnoff for me in regards to the AMG Benzes, new M5,M6 beemer, alot of the lambos /ferraris is that they only come in auto/F1/SMG etc;

Old 09-24-2011, 07:11 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
you should stick to manual if you already doing all that heel toe, rev matching.

speed isn't everything. driving is more about the experienced and feel.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:52 PM
JTB
JTB is infamous around these partsJTB is infamous around these parts
Fast does not necessarily equal fun. That said, as the next generation comes up the PDK will be what they want. It will be just us old-timers that want to doubleclutch on the downshifts. Those that grew up learning to drive on an xbox will neither know what it is, nor care.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:53 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 6spdg37s
^ I still never want a PDK or F1 or SMG or any other car.

I like traditional manual ... sure PDK runs slightly better times but IMO not having a traditional manual takes a lot of the fun out of the car.
Touche!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-24-2011, 08:11 PM
GOBEX is a jewel in the roughGOBEX is a jewel in the roughGOBEX is a jewel in the rough
I've driven the PDK and agree that the technology has it's benefits, but I know I'll never set any lap records or probably even lead a lap in a competition, I can still enjoy shifting gears and dreaming.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:04 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Manual will always be more fun. There is nothing more satisfying than having that much input in the car. Who care's if the computers can do it faster.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:57 PM
kennyPride is a jewel in the roughkennyPride is a jewel in the roughkennyPride is a jewel in the rough
Ok gents I realize a lot of history and tradition is at play here, so it is difficult to pull away from the pure sense of driving a sports car. But I'm afraid we will come to recognize a true sports car is one that is faster and that will come in the form of a paddle shifter. Tomorrow we will appreciate the skills to shift at precisely the right millisecond and be right in the meat of the power band "boost" and rocket away from the historians that held onto their antiquated manual shifter. Kenny

Old 09-24-2011, 10:23 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Manual always,,,unless your a corvette driver....lol...

Old 09-24-2011, 11:12 PM
tphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of light
Manual you actually feel like you're a part of the experience.
In an auto, you can be a one legged baboon and just press the accelerator.

If you are racing and you're all about times and getting an extra second a lap will make the difference, for sure, go with what's faster. If you just enjoy the drive I think an auto just gets mundane very quickly. Doesn't matter how much HP you have (612hp on the S65).

Old 09-24-2011, 11:16 PM
hly
hly is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kennyPride
Ok gents I realize a lot of history and tradition is at play here, so it is difficult to pull away from the pure sense of driving a sports car. But I'm afraid we will come to recognize a true sports car is one that is faster and that will come in the form of a paddle shifter. Tomorrow we will appreciate the skills to shift at precisely the right millisecond and be right in the meat of the power band "boost" and rocket away from the historians that held onto their antiquated manual shifter. Kenny
And the day after "tomorrow" we shall be debating whether to buy our sports cars with manual or automatic steering. Porsche having just released a new 911 with an automatic-steering option that is a full 10 seconds faster at the Ring than its manual steering counterpart, although the old-timers would whine that manually steering your car is still way more involved and fun. The day after tomorrow we will appreciate the skills of sitting perfectly still in the car on the track so as not to shift our human weight around and disturb the precise balancing act of the pibot (as in Robot)

Last edited by hly; 09-24-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:03 AM
ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !
The fun factor in a manual 996TT far outweighs the fraction of a second faster you may be that one time a month (at best) you find yourself at a stop light next to a ZO6, GT-R, Lambo, AMG, M5, or (fill in with your second favorite super/muscle car)!

Old 09-25-2011, 08:44 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
I hear what you guys are saying.. But, don't you think it would be just as much fun to drive in a modded 991 with a free flowing exhaust, and you shift down from 6th to 2nd, in milliseconds... You can actually hear that mechanical downshift take place and I guarantee that a pdk will be more fun with an experienced driver than would a manual. When I think of pdk I think of precission, i

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: diehard manual transmission guys.... where do you stand now ?