996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Is a factory-quality re-paint possible?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 06:13 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ no problemo you're welcome thx for the rep points

Old 09-27-2011, 06:56 PM
gotbhp? is a jewel in the roughgotbhp? is a jewel in the roughgotbhp? is a jewel in the rough
Considering some factory paint jobs aren't all that great, I can see how getting a better re-paint is very possible. See this thread for an amazing example of getting rid of the factory equipped 'orange peel' BMW's seem to come with now: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1717914

Old 09-27-2011, 09:01 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
I picked my car up from the paint shop a few weeks ago and changed the color completely. The clear bra is being put on right now. I will post some pictures when I get it back. It looks much better than stock!

Old 09-28-2011, 02:04 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shtfrbrains
At some point down the road, I am considering the project of having my 2002 GT2 re-painted. It looks great, but has some miles on it and has been raced. The thing is, I want it perfect. I mean PERFECT! I am obsessively meticulous, and the goal is nothing short of perfection, at least as good as it was when it rolled off the factory floor. My question is, is this remotely realistic, or even possible?

The reason I ask is that in my experience, it seems like any time you have anything done to a car once it has left the factory(body-wise), it is never as good. Sometimes it is shamefully bad. Dealerships and most shops just don't have the peeps or the equipment to duplicate factory new anything. For normal people in normal cars, it's all fine, because they cannot discern the tiny imperfections, and typically don't even care. People like us, and cars like ours, it's a whole different ball game.

Are there shops out there that can meet or exceed Porsche factory standards, or am I setting myself up for disappointment?
You can't duplicate the factory paint job as it done by robots. Human hands no matter how experienced cannot match the precision of the robots. However the factory has limitation you're not faced with (type of paint, number of coats, orange peel, etc.) That means you can get a better paint job than the factory paint provided you're will to spend lots of $$$ taking the car down to it's shell if you're planning a color change. You won't have to spend as much if you don't do a color change as you don't have to disassemble as much. It's all the prep work that eats up the $$$.

Last edited by Duane996tt; 09-28-2011 at 02:19 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:43 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by EZ Cookin
I picked my car up from the paint shop a few weeks ago and changed the color completely. The clear bra is being put on right now. I will post some pictures when I get it back. It looks much better than stock!
Love to hear who did the work! Nice to collect local shops. PM if you don't want to publish, but from time to time people ask "anyone know a shop in sacramento?"

To the OP- it is easy to get a better job than factory. Once you know the shops in you area, and really begin drilling down on references, you will find the best. I have a local shop that does no insurance work. If you have an insurance claim, you collect the money yourself and he'll bill you for the job independently. His work is astonishing. Frankly a bit more than I needed on the M5, but what I wanted on the TT.

I disagree that 'factory paint' is always better or cannot be duplicated.

If I was doing a color change (I did one years ago) it would be, essentially a glass-less, interior-less shell that went to the paint shop... door jambs, sills, window channels, trunk, engine compartment, etc, etc,

A

Old 09-28-2011, 10:18 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Color change or not the car should be disassembled to achieve a factory like finish.Otherwise you get dry spots in the door jambs and lines where trim meets the paint.....not good.An experienced eye can tell in a second if a car has been painted and not disassembled.A car that has been disassembled is much harder to tell and just shows better.Also keep in mind to look out for fish eyes and dirt in the paint.I have seen many cars that were repainted and look good from 2 ft away but get them under good light and look closely and the fish eyes show up.Fish eyes cannot be sanded out and are a result of improper prep causing a lack of paint on the surface the size of a pin head.And last i saw (atleast up to the 997) Porsches are still painted by humans including color base and clear.The primer is the only step i believe is done by robot.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:25 AM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Joe - Do you know if the primer is sprayed or dipped?

Old 09-29-2011, 04:00 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Joe is right porsches are ecoated/dipped then primer by robots then the jams ard certain other areas are treated, finally humans paint the car.

It takes a significant anmount of training to get to be a factory painter...

so yes a factory quality re-spray is achievable if the painters are top notch...

my info is sourced from a documentary (Factories: Porsche 911 GT3 997 Chassis)

Old 09-29-2011, 04:10 PM
Former Vendor
Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !
Watch this to see how a Porsche is painted in the first place:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE-oB...eature=related
Skip to 4:00 in...

If you're not changing the color, a good body shop should be able to make a comparable to factory appearance paint job (better even!) to the accessible body pieces. But they can never bring it back to the factory level of detail, meaning no wiring harness, glass, dash, interior, engine, suspension etc. when it's originally painted on the freshly worked bare metal.

So if you're changing the color of the car, I think it's nearly impossible to do as THOROUGH of a job, but for a respray in the same color, with heavy prepping and some professional labor, it can look fine. But keep this video in mind whenever you touch anything against the paint on your car, it's pretty difficult to repeat this original preparation.

Last edited by Dan@SharkWerks; 09-29-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:33 PM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
I am planning on going with the original color. After watching that video, I seriously doubt any shop could duplicated the extreme, encompassing quality of the factory. You would have to strip EVERYTHING, remove the body from the frame, re-dip it etc. ...depressing.

Last edited by shtfrbrains; 09-29-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by shtfrbrains
I am planning on going with the original color. After watching that video, I seriously doubt any shop could duplicated the extreme, encompassing quality of the factor. You would have to strip EVERYTHING, remove the body from the frame, re-dip it etc. ...depressing.
nice decision your car with a gleaming new black paint job would look devine! These cars are unibody so no revoming the body and frame, they are one in unibody cars..which is why the term "frame off" restoration will probably need to be revised in the future

Old 09-29-2011, 05:56 PM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sunir
nice decision your car with a gleaming new black paint job would look devine! These cars are unibody so no revoming the body and frame, they are one in unibody cars..which is why the term "frame off" restoration will probably need to be revised in the future
Black is certainly the most difficult color to maintain, but when you do it right, there is nothing else that has that same effect. I love it, and a beautiful black GT2 is something to behold.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:19 PM
I was on the Porsche factory website today, and they have a restoration program where you can send your car to them and they will repaint it, or more if you so desire. Does anyone know anyone who has done this? I am curious if it is as good as it sounds, and if so, of course how much....roughly. I can guess, but does anyone have any experience? I sent them an email, but who knows how long it may take to hear back.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:47 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Just wondering - none of us have even asked what's wrong with your paint at the moment

So, on that basis, what's the problem with it at the moment?

Old 09-29-2011, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by ant_8u
Just wondering - none of us have even asked what's wrong with your paint at the moment

So, on that basis, what's the problem with it at the moment?
Overall, the car looks great. I had a top-notch detailer work on it for a full week recently. My friend who I bought the car from had raced it, so it had some road rash on the nose and hood, which I had repainted. I am barely satisfied with the shop's work, and I DO NOT trust them to touch it again. There are also tiny chips and nicks on the roof and front fenders. None of it jumps out at you, and a normal person in the sunlight wouldn't even notice, but it bothers me a little. Considering what this car has done and been through, like the Targa Newfoundland race, it looks incredible.

It's a project I am considering maybe next year. Right now it is going in for a Motion/MCS suspension (formerly Moton) as soon as the parts are delivered in a few weeks, so that is the near-term project.

The flaws are noticeable to sharp, discriminating eyes like mine, and perhaps yours. Perfectionism is expensive, I know.

Last edited by shtfrbrains; 09-29-2011 at 07:44 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is a factory-quality re-paint possible?