996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Is a factory-quality re-paint possible?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 07:11 PM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
Is a factory-quality re-paint possible?

At some point down the road, I am considering the project of having my 2002 GT2 re-painted. It looks great, but has some miles on it and has been raced. The thing is, I want it perfect. I mean PERFECT! I am obsessively meticulous, and the goal is nothing short of perfection, at least as good as it was when it rolled off the factory floor. My question is, is this remotely realistic, or even possible?

The reason I ask is that in my experience, it seems like any time you have anything done to a car once it has left the factory(body-wise), it is never as good. Sometimes it is shamefully bad. Dealerships and most shops just don't have the peeps or the equipment to duplicate factory new anything. For normal people in normal cars, it's all fine, because they cannot discern the tiny imperfections, and typically don't even care. People like us, and cars like ours, it's a whole different ball game.

Are there shops out there that can meet or exceed Porsche factory standards, or am I setting myself up for disappointment?

Last edited by shtfrbrains; 09-25-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:21 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
If you want my honest opinion I'd say I think the factory paint finish is actually ****

As long as you find a good shop, and don't mind spending some money you'll be able to get a finish far better than that nasty 'orange peel' paint that our cars come from the factory with

And once you're done, make sure you get a good detailer..........

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ler-world.html

Last edited by ant_8u; 09-25-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:27 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by shtfrbrains
At some point down the road, I am considering the project of having my 2002 GT2 re-painted. It looks great, but has some miles on it and has been raced. The thing is, I want it perfect. I mean PERFECT! I am obsessively meticulous, and the goal is nothing short of perfection, at least as good as it was when it rolled off the factory floor. My question is, is this remotely realistic, or even possible?

The reason I ask is that in my experience, it seems like any time you have anything done to a car once it has left the factory(body-wise), it is never as good. Sometimes it is shamefully bad. Dealerships and most shops just don't have the peeps or the equipment to duplicate factory new anything. For normal people in normal cars, it's all fine, because they cannot discern the tiny imperfections, and typically don't even care. People like us, and cars like ours, it's a whole different ball game.

Are there shops out there that can meet or exceed Porsche factory standards, or am I setting myself up for disappointment?
it is possible....i just did this to my car last year,in fact my paint is actually better than factory.In order to do it correctly everything must be removed from the car....glass, interior, all trim,weatherstripping,doors,and in my case i had the motor and trans out anyway.I do have a fully equipped garage tho with a lift so i disassembled the car myself and logged all the parts then sent the car off to paint.Be prepared for many trips to the dealer to replace broken clips and fasteners that are inevitable to be broken during disassembly.The car came out great with not a squeak or rattle and feels as tight as new.Also was a big help to have the PET catalog and the Porsche shop manual.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:30 PM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by joetwint
it is possible....i just did this to my car last year,in fact my paint is actually better than factory.In order to do it correctly everything must be removed from the car....glass, interior, all trim,weatherstripping,doors,and in my case i had the motor and trans out anyway.I do have a fully equipped garage tho with a lift so i disassembled the car myself and logged all the parts then sent the car off to paint.Be prepared for many trips to the dealer to replace broken clips and fasteners that are inevitable to be broken during disassembly.The car came out great with not a squeak or rattle and feels as tight as new.Also was a big help to have the PET catalog and the Porsche shop manual.
Thank you for the encouragement. If you have the skills, and the time, and it sounds like you do, then no one is going to do it better. I have neither, so I am forced to try to find someone that would do it the way I would, if I could. Hopefully you are right on all counts.

What do you think it will cost to pay someone to do as good a job as you did?

Last edited by shtfrbrains; 09-25-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:31 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Joe - where are the pictures?

Old 09-25-2011, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by ant_8u
If you want my honest opinion I'd say I think the factory paint finish is actually ****

As long as you find a good shop, and don't mind spending some money you'll be able to get a finish far better than that nasty 'orange peel' paint that our cars come from the factory with

And once you're done, make sure you get a good detailer..........

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ler-world.html
Orange peel can be polished out, but at least it doesn't show up with over-spray, scratches and swirl marks.

Last edited by shtfrbrains; 11-05-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:48 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
It is possible. Expensive though. Probably $10k for a proper job. I would suggest you find someone who uses the factory glasurit water based finish.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:29 PM
WearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by VAGscum
It is possible. Expensive though. Probably $10k for a proper job. I would suggest you find someone who uses the factory glasurit water based finish.
Thats low in my book for a perfect finish with labor, my 914/6 was ~12 K delivered to the shop completely disassembled and no labor on reassembly charged.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:40 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Your looking at 10 to 15 k range depending on prep needed.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:59 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
YES. I've seen paint shops make cars look so perfect I could not believe my eyes. It takes a LONG time to get it perfect and 10K is a bargain. My buddy just put down 20K for his paint job, and I have honestly seen better. Do your research and look at other customer's cars and the work environment. I have seen the best work coming out of the mom and pop shops. The ones who actually take pride in what they do. The more expensive shops are not always the best. I would talk to some local car club members and get as much info as possible. What color are you thinking about?

Old 09-25-2011, 10:03 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
My paint is as smooth and shiny as any I've seen. My kids use it like a fun-house mirror. LOL. My avatar pic was taken when half of Arizona was on fire, so it was very smoky outside, so it looks bad. I'm sure it's factory. Wonder why some say orange peel???

Old 09-25-2011, 10:15 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
i will post some in the next couple of days.Also to the OP it is a good idea to take pictures of the car prior to doing any work to show the reason for painting is just a repaint and not because the car suffered and major damage

Old 09-25-2011, 10:25 PM
i will post some in the next couple of days.Also to the OP it is a good idea to take pictures of the car prior to doing any work to show the reason for painting is just a repaint and not because the car suffered and major damage

Old 09-25-2011, 11:15 PM
Good point

Old 09-26-2011, 01:27 AM
Former Vendor
sales@ECU Tuning Group is just really nicesales@ECU Tuning Group is just really nicesales@ECU Tuning Group is just really nicesales@ECU Tuning Group is just really nicesales@ECU Tuning Group is just really nice
Most definitely! Do your research and find a reputable company that has been in business for years upon years. Im sure you'll find a couple that will satisfy your needs

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is a factory-quality re-paint possible?