996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Is the 996tt satisfying to drive? (vs. GT-R, 997.1 S, etc))

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Skullbussa is infamous around these parts
Is the 996tt satisfying to drive? (vs. GT-R, 997.1 S, etc))

Hi all,

I made a very similar post in the 997 section of this site but realized that I wanted to refine it.

As I've never driven a 996 Turbo and have to rely on what I read, it seems that many people have said that this car is a little soft and not as communicative as the 996 GT3 or the 997.1 S.

My goal is to find a car that is a weekend driver that is reliable, responsive to power mods, holds resale well, and most importantly fun to drive.

It should be said, my budget of $65k also opens the Nissan GT-R as a potential purchase but it is virtually impossible to find direct comparisons to that car without it turning into a pissing match.

So I suppose my question is,

1) Is the 996T "softer" than a 997.1 S? Is the power difference noticeable? Which is more communicative, tossable driver's car? How expensive is it to bring the 996T up to snuff in this regard?

2) Is the GT-R as fun to drive as any of these cars? Does it handle like it is on rails? Is it more Evo X (one of the most fun cars I've driven) or more like a C6 Z06 (impossibly fast but vague feedback, feels huge)?

And yes, I have searched the forums....in fact, I have spent all day reading through posts and I can't seem to find this information/comparisons anywhere.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:18 PM
REDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud of
Drive both if you can, but I would say that the 996tt meets all of your criteria - "reliable, responsive to power mods, holds resale well, and most importantly fun to drive"

996TT just needs a 997SSK (short shifter) and coilovers (PSS10 or KWV3) to remove some of the softness

Old 09-29-2011, 04:22 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
I just bought a 2003TT. It has a stiffened suspension ie JIC Cross and runs on 19 inch Sportec's. It is also pretty low on the deck but quite drivable on normal roads , humps and bumps included. I am thinking that the standard TT is really not "THAT" soft on 19 inch rims but possible more on 18 inch wheels. I also think, compared with my C2 (sold) that the front of the car shows a way better and more solid feel and does not have that annoying bobbin-n-weaving fthat give you the impression you are ready for take-off that a C2 seems to have. My personal opinion : If it's a street car I am thinking 19 inch wheels will be enough to get the "planted' feeling and there is no need to get into coilovers. If it is a track beast you will need coil-overs and dog bones etc to get it to drive to it's full potential but that is way more than I ever will need. This car is soo fast and surefooted. It's mind boggling!!

Last edited by hroussard; 09-29-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:24 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
The power difference is HUGE!

Old 09-29-2011, 04:30 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
gtr's are that cheap already ?

Old 09-29-2011, 05:56 PM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
Completely agree!! A 996TT with PSS10's makes all the difference in the world. I have never driven something I enjoyed as much as a 996TT that has a good exhaust, coil overs, and a flash (UMW is my preference). You can buy a lot of 996TT for 65k. You do need to drive one of both because what something feels like is very personal.

Originally Posted by REDLINER911
Drive both if you can, but I would say that the 996tt meets all of your criteria - "reliable, responsive to power mods, holds resale well, and most importantly fun to drive"

996TT just needs a 997SSK (short shifter) and coilovers (PSS10 or KWV3) to remove some of the softness

Old 09-29-2011, 06:11 PM
AlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud of
if you strech the budget a little more you can get a 996 GT2.
And that car is a different story:
RWD, comes standard with coilovers and PCCB (although they are not good for aggressive track duties), limited production so it's really rare and will likely depreciate less and has the GT cars DNA

Old 09-29-2011, 06:52 PM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
Old 09-29-2011, 08:54 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
996TT + suspension + short shift + GT2 clutch kit + RWD conversion (with rear diff and GT2 alignment) = win!

That's what my research would tell you. In other words, build your own GT2.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:23 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
The Turbo is best bang for the buck,,IMO,,plus with all the money saved> you can tailor it to your wants/needs with all those parts available for it...It will always hold its own...Good Luck..

Old 09-29-2011, 09:29 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future

$67K for a car with over 70K miles - no thanks

Old 09-30-2011, 05:05 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
The 997.1 S is just not in the same league. You said one of your criterea is power mods and the only one for that platform is an aftermarket blower. I'd think twice before bolting one on that engine. IMO the only reason to buy that car is if you like the looks better and can't afford a 7GT3 or 7TT.

The GTR is a really good performer but you should investigate maintenance costs. I don't think I'd want to own one outside of warranty.

You could also put a 6GT3 on your list.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:26 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
What others say plus a good sounding exhaust to complete the experience.
Look in the for sale section- several well prepped Turbos ready to go for under $50k.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:29 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Flash, coilovers, stabiliser bars, exhaust and short shifter = ultimate satisfaction for the road use and occasional track day! It really doesn't get any better. The rest is a theory debate of nerds wearing yellow anoraks.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:00 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Soft ? My friend described my car pretty good the other night. " You car is just pure terror. No matter at what speed you are at, it wants to kill you " If you find that fun - which I do, then yea it's a drivers car

I drove a 996GT3 extensively as i was thinking of selling my turbo for one,which is awesome, but just didnt cut it for me. My friend with his gt3 claims my car is not a Turbo but a GT2 on kill mode.

Just don suspension stuff and you will be fine ; ) don't touch the engine just yet. Im' only at a UMW flash and feel no need for more power ( been like this for 5 years!)...I feel like i would run out of talent with more power.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is the 996tt satisfying to drive? (vs. GT-R, 997.1 S, etc))