996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Headlight lens restoration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 09:51 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Performance Parts{now Echlers I believe} sells some thick, pre-cut headlight film that I've had on my car for 3 years of tracking, very pleased with them.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
I'll want to get some soon after I redo my lights. I'm trying to decide if I want to go yellow film since my car is black or stay clear.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:43 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
I saw Ecthheads headlights today...OMG...AMAZING!!!! I can't believe they are actually the original units. They look better then mine do on an 09 997!

Even the insides of the lights looked factory fresh.

Incredible!

PS: EH, let me know If I need to buy you some new shocks that was pretty fun!!!

Old 02-20-2012, 04:37 AM
Banned
Sql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to behold
Impressive results! I had a guy here that polished my father's allroad headlight lenses and although it made a huge difference I feel like they are still a bit too cloudy.

He was a little scared to work on the turbo, he tried very gently and to be honest there is no difference.

Maybe I should try and do it on my own...

Old 02-20-2012, 07:44 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
My headlights were horrible- not sure what the previous owner did or didn't do, but they were ugly. I really disliked looking at the front of my car. I had a headlight guy come to the house last year who went to town with his buffer but did little to help- so I wrote them off.

The guy at the shop last week took out the headlights and got nasty with them. Started with coarse wet sanding and worked up to the fine buffing. As Vid says- they look like new, really incredible. So for anyone thinking theirs are too bad just give this a go. I tried it myself as week, but you really need to remove the lights and spend some time with them.

Good luck!

Fun time yesterday Vid- but yes do have one broken shock and another 1/2shaft coupler so spent the rest of the time in front wheel drive trying to hit the jumps... Couldn't get any traction. (Traxxas Slash 4x4 RC Truck with 11.1 battery=55mph. Vid jumping my truck = triple flip and broken stuff but good time!)

Last edited by Etchhead; 02-20-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:47 AM
M3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by shtfrbrains
Looks great! How did you work around that little chrome disk?
I just redid my headlights too, and I took the headlight washer off (chrome disk.)

Basically once the headlight is out, turn it over and you will find a rubber tube, which is connected to the actuator of that disk. I took my air pump and placed the plastic nozzle that is used to inflate pinch valve items to it. Then I wrapped some electrical tape around the nozzle and the rubber tube to make sure it stays on and then turned the pump on for like 2 seconds. The washer arm extends out a few inches and will stay out as long as there is pressure in that line.
Now to take the disk off, you have to be very careful since it is plastic. It is basically pressure fitted and with a small pair of pliers it can be squeezed off. Hope this helps some.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:28 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
I used the 3m kit. I didn't take my headlights off however. I masked off the paint and went to town with the drill. Lifted up the silver washer things and held them up with a golf tee. Came out looking like new.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:47 PM
dragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by brnrdtns
I used the 3m kit. I didn't take my headlights off however. I masked off the paint and went to town with the drill. Lifted up the silver washer things and held them up with a golf tee. Came out looking like new.
Golf tee... Ingenious. I will have to try this as I don't really feel like taking the headlight out.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:34 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dragonman4
Golf tee... Ingenious. I will have to try this as I don't really feel like taking the headlight out.
Make sure you use at least 3 layers of well placed masking tape.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:04 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
It only takes 2 minutes to remove the headlight, using only the tool provided in the kit provided with your spare tire.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:38 AM
dragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FAST FWD
It only takes 2 minutes to remove the headlight, using only the tool provided in the kit provided with your spare tire.
Really? For some reason I was under the impression that you had to remove the front bumper to remove the headlights. If you don't have to, then maybe I will remove them.

As an aside, has anyone ever just used toothpaste? I had a few BMW buddies that said toothpaste did wonders for cleaning up headlights. But I'm guessing it would also strip away the UV protectant. I'm going to head to the local autozone and AAP to see if they have the meguiar's restoration kit. The edges of my lights are starting to look like they are clouding up. My guess is from excess wax when waxing the car.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:08 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Really? For some reason I was under the impression that you had to remove the front bumper to remove the headlights. If you don't have to, then maybe I will remove them.
It's in the owner's manual. First, pull back the trunk liner by popping out the little plastic thingies. There's a little rubber bung behind them, about at the height of the headlight. Pull that out, insert the hex key from the tool kit and turn it about 1/4 turn to free the headlight. It will pop out, then slide it out the rest of the way. Do be careful when reinserting to make sure that you don't bend any of the pins on the connector. It the lights fail to work after you reinsert, that is what happened. Just remove, straighten the pins carefully and put it back together again. It really is quite easy.

As an aside, has anyone ever just used toothpaste? I had a few BMW buddies that said toothpaste did wonders for cleaning up headlights. But I'm guessing it would also strip away the UV protectant. I'm going to head to the local autozone and AAP to see if they have the meguiar's restoration kit. The edges of my lights are starting to look like they are clouding up. My guess is from excess wax when waxing the car.
Toothpaste contains a mild abrasive, just like rubbing compound. If there is any UV protectant, this process will strip it off. I figure if the headlight is getting cloudy, the UV protectant isn't doing any good anyway.

Jon

Old 02-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Matte996t is infamous around these partsMatte996t is infamous around these parts
great job, looks awesome =)

Old 02-23-2012, 05:11 PM
MikeG is infamous around these parts
I used the 3m kit as well with good results.
Mine looked like it had small spider webs in the corners, and it took care of it quickly.