996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

A surprising find...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 07:33 AM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
I agree with someone else, that you can get different grades of stainless steel that are magnetic.

Of course, if a magnet will stick to it, then it will rust (regardless of whether or not it's stainless steel).

Later, Steve

Last edited by Steve Jarvis; 10-11-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:46 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Magnets will stick to most common grades of stainless (sergical grade 304 for sure). Thinner tubing has less steel concentrated in the area that the magnet is touching. The greater the thickness the more likely a strong magnet will stick to stainless.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:45 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
without getting complicated, and Im no expert at this, the rule of thumb is that if a magnet sticks to metal , like on a exhaust part, its not stainless... I checked OEM exhaust flange and it does not stick.. nor rust... thus I would only assume high end after market exhausts would do at least the same ...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-11-2011, 09:09 AM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
I'm no expert either- but I had a "SS" Stromung exhaust on an Audi- and a magnet would stick to it.

Never rusted, despite a couple of winters in the NE.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:42 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
I was curious so I did some reading. 400 series stainless is ferretic (magnetic) and the 300 series is austenitic (not magnetic). Both are not supposed to rust though. So either way those flanges are a no no. Dis-similar metals also promote corrosion. Aircraft have the issues fairly often. It bothers me to see a vendor that deals with mods with such a prestigious marque of car providing a product that they are selling under the assumption of it "what you pay for". If were the owner I would post the maker of the exhaust. I get aggrevated with the assumption that because we own porsches we should get charged a ridiculous rate whether the quality is good or not.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:05 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VAGscum
I was curious so I did some reading. 400 series stainless is ferretic (magnetic) and the 300 series is austenitic (not magnetic). Both are not supposed to rust though. So either way those flanges are a no no. Dis-similar metals also promote corrosion. Aircraft have the issues fairly often. It bothers me to see a vendor that deals with mods with such a prestigious marque of car providing a product that they are selling under the assumption of it "what you pay for". If were the owner I would post the maker of the exhaust. I get aggrevated with the assumption that because we own porsches we should get charged a ridiculous rate whether the quality is good or not.
I just wanted to point out that not all are equal... some are poorly made.. others use cheap connections and leak, and the rest are probably made in underdeveloped countries... I get hit up by prospective clients often saying why mine is more money vs this one or that one... I just wanted to point out that it comes down to details.. and this is one of them... Ironically that exhaust has the best cats on the market..

click to view

Old 10-11-2011, 10:16 AM
Kapoosh1 has a spectacular aura aboutKapoosh1 has a spectacular aura aboutKapoosh1 has a spectacular aura about
I was always under the impression that mild steel flanges were used because they are less likely to crack and/or warp.

The exhaust manifold flange on my evo was mild steel and I never had any issues even after driving it through a winter. Didn't look all that pretty, but held up great.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:53 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
good stuff and I must say those bailey diverter valves really are crap. Over the years I've had to remove them so many times!

Old 10-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by sharkster
good stuff and I must say those bailey diverter valves really are crap. Over the years I've had to remove them so many times!
LOL the last two sets that were on clients car leaked from the small little hex screws... plus the cheap plastic fitting on top leaks too... even if you screw it tight... odd...

click to view

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 10-11-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:36 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
VAGscum has it right. The 300-series (austenitic) stainless steels contain Cr and Ni, and are non-magnetic. The 400-series (ferritic) stainless steels contain Cr, but no Ni, and are magnetic. The 400-series alloys transform around 700C (dull red) to austenite, accompanied by a fairly large volume change. That would make them a very poor choice for an exhaust flange. Probably the flange Markski found was just plain steel.

The 300-series alloys are susceptible to corrosion when welded. There are lower carbon grades 304-L and 321-L that were developed to eliminate this problem. I believe that the cost is almost the same for the lower carbon grades. Might be worthwhile to switch.

Jon

Old 10-11-2011, 12:40 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
LOL the last two sets that were on clients car leaked form the small little hex screws... plus the cheap plastic fitting on top leaks too... even if you screw it tight... odd...
Yep... amazing indeed eh?!?! I used them on my car back in 2002 and then pulled the plug on ever selling those darn things. The nipples are a big POS too and leak/break.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
If you want a Shock, go and get the wife best Stainless Steel cutlery and put a Magnet on it. You will find it sticks to it. That's food grade SS

ps the OEM muffler is supposed to be SS but when I took mine off there were patches of corrosion just starting to blister.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Former Vendor
GTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
Its funny, non ss flanges get a bad rep but in reality a proper low carbon mild steel flange in many ways is better.

-Mild steel expands at almost 1/3 of a lower rate then ss. This puts less stress on welds, and fasteners under extreme conditions.
-It retains less heat under operation as well as durning the fabrications process.
-Mild steel is MUCH easier to cut flat again if you need to.
-Is cheaper (not that cost of flanges is really a concern at this level).

When we build a header/turbo manifold for a car that high egt will defiantly come into play, we exclusively use mild.

Basically the only downside I can see is corrosion.... but its not like many of these cars are driven in the snow/salt belt.

We give our customers the option of ss when building custom parts but generally recommend mild(flanges only).

For what its worth, the headers I build for my own Cayman had mild steel flanges.
Mild steel gets a bad rap a lot of places, but in my experience the above comments hold true. I run a high performance mild steel exhaust on my daily driver. It's been on there since 2005 and has been through 6 Colorado Winters. The HPC coating that was on it when new peeled off after the 2nd winter. It's got some surface corrosion, but I inspect it a couple of times a year and it's got plenty of life left in it and is in no danger of rusting through.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VAGscum
I know any good welder would know to use 309 instead of 308 on stainless to steel. No?

Old 10-11-2011, 08:38 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
I just wanted to point out that not all are equal... some are poorly made.. others use cheap connections and leak, and the rest are probably made in underdeveloped countries... I get hit up by prospective clients often saying why mine is more money vs this one or that one... I just wanted to point out that it comes down to details.. and this is one of them... Ironically that exhaust has the best cats on the market..
I would be interested in knowing what manuafacturers actually make their own exhaust. I know that it is not un-heard of to outsource the exhaust manufacturing. Maybe even to china for all I know. If you request a chinese manufacturer to make you 1000 exhaust setups using german cats they probably would. Then you have a cheap chinese made exhaust with fancy cats. In the end it is difficult to find an aftermarket 996TT exhaust that looks like the quality that ~$3k-4k suggests. And yours is one of the few.

"I know any good welder would know to use 309 instead of 308 on stainless to steel. No? "

I am not an expert with metalurgy or welding so I wouldn't know what 309 or 308 stainless is much less their attributes in this application. I am sure somebody like Markski or another fabber could answer this. I would expect that if they were going to use a particular metal type if would be best to use nothing but that metal type so that the weld joints are not weakened by the dis-similar metals. But I wouldn't be suprised if a good welder has trick to make it work.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A surprising find...