996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

A surprising find...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Markski, I would like to share some tricks and why V bands just don't matter if they warp.. But reading you post's tells me..... Exhaust flange on a lathe/cnc??? To true it after welding??

Old 10-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cpais
I'm not a metallurgist by any means but, obviously, you are not either. I can just picture you trying to put the whole exhaust (because you just welded the flange to it) on a lathe. Can you send me a picture of that? I would love to see it. Make sure your health insurance is all paid up because that sounds like a trip to the hospital.

Seriously though, good luck with that. The bottom line is that it is common to use a different flange on a stainless exhaust and there is good reason why they do that. For you to say that it is an inferior way of building it is just wrong, when in fact it is the proper way of doing it.

Remember you said that you respected HKS as a Japanese company for their quality? They use non stainless steel flanges with stainless pipe too.

Im not going to argue with you... my point was that I was surprised that they used steel that rusted which was welded to the a very expensive cat... I would not do that...
There is a procedure when it comes to welding.. An order of what is welded when to prevent warping... and when welding thin SS V band flanges you actually take that into account...
Nor have I openly nor privately said which exhaust it is...
If you like mild steel , as Im sure some do, on their P Car exhausts God bless you...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Markski, "There is a procedure when it comes to welding.. An order of what is welded when to prevent warping... and when welding thin SS V band flanges you actually take that into account..." Wow.. You did not respond to my post about 309 or 308 and you think people who truly know about welding believe you do?

Old 10-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Tim,
I have no doubt you know more when it comes to welding then I... but I choose not to sell exhausts with mild steel flanges... that is my choice. If you want to talk "welding" you can with my fabricator/ welder. Im sure you and he speak same language... But taking cheap shots is not cool either...

click to view

Old 10-14-2011, 06:26 PM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
Im not going to argue with you... my point was that I was surprised that they used steel that rusted which was welded to the a very expensive cat... I would not do that...
Maybe it's just the picture/angle, but to me the flange doesn't look rusty at all. Maybe a little discolored due to heat, with maybe some superficial oxidation on it... but it certainly doesn't look structurally compromised.

Nor have I openly nor privately said which exhaust it is...
To be fair, you sure dropped a helluva big "hint" when you elaborated on the catalytic converters used. I know of only one major 996TT exhaust manufacturer that uses them. Assuming I'm right, you may not have named names, but sure left a big breadcrumb on the path leading there... just my $0.02.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:48 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
I think this is the point where we can all agree that there are certainly different ways to view an object, person, situation etc.

Additionally, its always nice to welcome new information.

Ultimately, each shall choose their own way...

reminds me of one of them

ol-skool house anthems.

Last edited by ttpopo; 10-14-2011 at 06:53 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 10-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Maybe it's just the picture/angle, but to me the flange doesn't look rusty at all. Maybe a little discolored due to heat, with maybe some superficial oxidation on it... but it certainly doesn't look structurally compromised.

To be fair, you sure dropped a helluva big "hint" when you elaborated on the catalytic converters used. I know of only one major 996TT exhaust manufacturer that uses them. Assuming I'm right, you may not have named names, but sure left a big breadcrumb on the path leading there... just my $0.02.
I never said it was structurally compromised... its not... It will be fine for life of the car...

I know of a minimum 3 companies that use those cats... nor did I name the cats... Most Euro ones use them...
And even if I did whats your problem with that? did I slam a board sponsor or attempt to indirectly?
Ive been on this board for 7 years... and do not have any issues with anyone... I say what I believe.. I do not expect everyone to agree...

click to view

Old 10-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Quantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond repute
I never said it was structurally compromised... its not... It will be fine for life of the car...

I know of a minimum 3 companies that use those cats... nor did I name the cats... Most Euro ones use them...
And even if I did whats your problem with that? did I slam a board sponsor or attempt to indirectly?
Ive been on this board for 7 years... and do not have any issues with anyone... I say what I believe.. I do not expect everyone to agree...
Since you'd like to keep it professional, I'll do the dirty work.

Looks like...
HJS are the cats...
Fabspeed is the exhaust...

Old 10-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Tim,
I have no doubt you know more when it comes to welding then I... but I choose not to sell exhausts with mild steel flanges... that is my choice. If you want to talk "welding" you can with my fabricator/ welder. Im sure you and he speak same language... But taking cheap shots is not cool either...

Markski, I am sorry but you speak and write as if you are the welder/fabricator. It is your choice to resell anything you like, I use 304, 321 or even inconel. Mostly 304 though, I would used mild flanges if the supplier I choose to use sold them. Hell the amount of times I change my set up mild steel pipe would not even get pitted. I do not own a car shop or even wish too.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:08 PM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !

Markski,

I think you may've taken my post the wrong way (or, I took your thread purpose the wrong way).

Rereading posts 1-5, the whole point of this thread seemed to say (paraphrasing) "wow, we were surprised to find one of our competitors cuts corners and uses mild steel flanges on their expensive exhaust with expensive cats - we only use superior SS flanges." The intent seems to be to promote your product in contrast to, and at the expense of, a competing product. The only manufacturer that I know of that uses those cats (if they're indeed the ones I'm thinking of) is a 6SO sponsor - you know of at least 3, so you obviously know more than I do (by orders of magnitude, I'm sure ) on this subject.

However, as this thread progressed, we find out those pictured flanges being mild steel may or may not even be the case - since the only analysis shared was "is it magnetic? yes" and others have chimed in that some grades of SS are magnetic, while others still have chimed in to say even if they are mild steel, mild steel flanges might actually have certain advantages and be chosen for a reason, not just to cut corners. The water's been muddied a bit there, to put it mildly.

Now, you say "those flanges will be fine for the life of the car" - if that's true, then what was the point of even starting this thread? Because it seemed at first like a warning/public-service-announcement - now it's just confusing.

I think 911 Tuning makes great products, from all of the feedback and reviews I've read - so I'm not bashing your stuff, believe me. Just don't see what the intent was of this thread, if you're saying the flanges are fine...?

Old 10-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Blue Beast TT is infamous around these partsBlue Beast TT is infamous around these parts
Hi everyone,
I'm a little new at this so go easy on me but i just wanted to add my two cents. Actually, this is my first post! I actually have Marskis exhaust on my car (love it by the way) and took it over to a Porsche racing team in the Chicago land area to have an oil sending unit checked out. They looked at his exhaust and said "its about time someone uses all stainless steel". They explained to me that they only use stainless steel exhausts and flanges on their racing equipment. Obviously everyone has their difference of opinion, but this is just what I heard from a very top Porsche shop race team. Enjoy!

Old 10-14-2011, 09:46 PM
Markski,

I think you may've taken my post the wrong way (or, I took your thread purpose the wrong way).

Rereading posts 1-5, the whole point of this thread seemed to say (paraphrasing) "wow, we were surprised to find one of our competitors cuts corners and uses mild steel flanges on their expensive exhaust with expensive cats - we only use superior SS flanges." The intent seems to be to promote your product in contrast to, and at the expense of, a competing product. The only manufacturer that I know of that uses those cats (if they're indeed the ones I'm thinking of) is a 6SO sponsor - you know of at least 3, so you obviously know more than I do (by orders of magnitude, I'm sure ) on this subject.

However, as this thread progressed, we find out those pictured flanges being mild steel may or may not even be the case - since the only analysis shared was "is it magnetic? yes" and others have chimed in that some grades of SS are magnetic, while others still have chimed in to say even if they are mild steel, mild steel flanges might actually have certain advantages and be chosen for a reason, not just to cut corners. The water's been muddied a bit there, to put it mildly.

Now, you say "those flanges will be fine for the life of the car" - if that's true, then what was the point of even starting this thread? Because it seemed at first like a warning/public-service-announcement - now it's just confusing.

I think 911 Tuning makes great products, from all of the feedback and reviews I've read - so I'm not bashing your stuff, believe me. Just don't see what the intent was of this thread, if you're saying the flanges are fine...?
Do you practice construction law? I have a case for you if you do..

Old 10-14-2011, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Beast TT
Hi everyone,
I'm a little new at this so go easy on me but i just wanted to add my two cents. Actually, this is my first post! I actually have Marskis exhaust on my car (love it by the way) and took it over to a Porsche racing team in the Chicago land area to have an oil sending unit checked out. They looked at his exhaust and said "its about time someone uses all stainless steel". They explained to me that they only use stainless steel exhausts and flanges on their racing equipment. Obviously everyone has their difference of opinion, but this is just what I heard from a very top Porsche shop race team. Enjoy!
I will bite... Porsche motorsports cars use inconel! So unless the team you speak of is racing vintage or converted street cars I am unsure of what you are referring to.

You joined this forum to post this today? Why did you not join the day you installed you exhaust and give Markski a plug?

Last edited by Tim941NYC; 10-14-2011 at 09:59 PM. Reason: update
Old 10-14-2011, 10:56 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
I prefer my stick welder and whatever metal I can hack off a stock exhaust at my buddies shop.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Basic Sponsor
Markski,

My intent was that I was "surprised" as the thread stated... I was very easy and carefully chose words... not disclosing the manufacturer... nor will I...furthermore this exhaust company is NOT a 6speed sponsor... Im sure some are reselling them... IDK to tell you the truth. You seem to be the only one deducing the name of the exhaust company.. why? let it go.... I was a member for 5 years before I became a sponsor.. Im guessing it would be ok then on in your yes to make the post but since I make exhausts that precludes me from doing it? My intention was to show that I was surprised since my fabricator raised an eyebrow as well... and he is by far a beginner... I did not go on slam, put down , not say its inferior... only when a handful of you jumped on me I became defensive. But if your telling me that you would rather buy a $4k exhaust with mild steel welded to SS parts over all SS system then we we have a difference of opinion... and this would be a surprise to me... so what's your problem starting with me? Or do you just like to argue? Because if you and Tim get off on that I'm the wrong guy and please get off this thread ... both of you...

click to view

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A surprising find...