996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Spray Pam on your front grill and bumper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 06:43 PM
dkc_gt2 is infamous around these parts
Spray Pam on your front grill and bumper

when going on trips. You will be amazed of how easy the bugs wash off when you are done. I heard of this and tried it from a trip from Jax to Atlanta to Jax. Tons of bugs on the bumper but they all quickly and easily washed off.

Old 10-15-2003, 07:16 PM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Re: Spray Pam on your front grill and bumper

Originally posted by dkc_gt2
when going on trips. You will be amazed of how easy the bugs wash off when you are done. I heard of this and tried it from a trip from Jax to Atlanta to Jax. Tons of bugs on the bumper but they all quickly and easily washed off.
Heh, had to be Sharky that told ya that one....sounds too ghetto for everyone else .
Seriously tho:
Can it hurt paint??
Evan

Old 10-15-2003, 07:21 PM
dkc_gt2 is infamous around these parts
Evan, I was thinking the same thing but no, seems to be all right. Probably in the morning I will have clumps of paint on the cement but lets hope not.

Old 10-15-2003, 07:49 PM
JASCLASS is infamous around these partsJASCLASS is infamous around these parts
Doug, Thats a pretty interesting concept, who would have thought, wonder if the paint will slide off with the bugs.

Old 10-15-2003, 08:18 PM
WARDHOG is infamous around these parts
What do you spray Pam with and second of all, how do you all know my Pam? :;

Old 10-15-2003, 08:36 PM
RDH
RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !
To be honest, I have heard of this also. You've got to admit though that it would make for some interesting conversation to the viewing audience witnessing the application process

Old 10-15-2003, 08:50 PM
Joe West is infamous around these parts
The 3M clear bras seem to accomplish the same thing; more expensively... but less ghetto.
<grin>

Do rock chips wipe off too?
<big grin>

Old 10-16-2003, 06:14 AM
The Newest "Bling King"
Gary (Fl) is infamous around these parts
Re: Spray Pam on your front grill and bumper

Originally posted by dkc_gt2
This has been suggested for as long as I can remember in Florida when we go through Love Bug season (May and September). I still believe that you are better off just putting on a fresh coat of a good wax before your trip and using a quick detailer spray to soften them up and then wipe them off after each leg of your trip. I have heard comments (never seen any damage first hand) that pam will screw with your paint when left in the hot sun (hard not to do that when traveling in Fl).

And no rock chips do not wipe of...

Old 10-16-2003, 07:01 AM
hnyc is infamous around these parts
I remember this thread topic from another board, and there was another solution besides PAM that would give the same effect without using a messy cooking oil based spray. One thing you should consider though, is that stuff is a messy spray and it always isn't gonna go where you want it to i.e. lower grille duct work, headlights, open seams/gaps, etc...and how do you clean THAT off?

Old 10-16-2003, 09:29 AM
Poursha is infamous around these parts
I've been using RejeX (http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html) on my cars' windshield, headlights and exhaust tips for a while now, and it works really well at keeping bugs from even sticking in the first place, and keeps the exhaust tips looking clean longer. Somebody on another board first mentioned it, and some have used it on their wheels with great results (brake dust apparently doesn't build up nearly as much), and some even used it on the entire car.

The best part for me is the windshield--normally after a week, there'd be lots of bug splats, but with this stuff, there's maby one or 2 very small marks. Highly recommended--it's the consistency of liquid wax, goes on and off easily, then you need to let it sit for at least 12 hours to cure.