996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Looking for an OEM Feel Upgraded Clutch?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 06:55 PM
S4Drifter is infamous around these parts
Looking for an OEM Feel Upgraded Clutch?

I did a lot of searching on this board for information when it came time to upgrade my clutch. I have an exhaust and tune and no plans for higher HP (sacrilege I know ). So with my x50 package I was looking for a clutch that could handle around 520hp at the crank.

My local indie (Cantech automotive in Syracuse NY) Recommended and installed an EVOMS Stage 1 plate and disc. My original flywheel was fine.

The result is exactly what I was looking for. About 20% more grip according to EVOMS that should be good to 600hp. It grabbed real low at first, but after a few hundred miles the engagement point has come back up to close to stock. Pedal effort has not noticeably increased.

So that's it. Just wanted to share my experience with those searching the board for different clutch options for tuned but not highly modified cars. The EVOMS Stage 1 is great option.

Cheers.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:07 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Stock GT2 disc (no problem running dual mass FW) and Clutch Masters modded pressure plate. Around 1000 bucks with throwout bearing too. Would work just fine too.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:24 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
I will second Tim's advice...it's a very good and cost effective method to upgrade your clutch!

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 10-12-2011, 12:35 AM
tphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of light
Thank for the input. How much was it?
I wanted to upgrade my clutch as well, the labor is expensive and the flywheel was recommended to be changed as well to avoid any possible unbalaced action that will result in vibration or possibly worse. Overall parts and labor I think were quoted to me around $3000 (clutch kit, flywheel, labor).

I understood from the dealer that installing a different kind of clutch (I suppose like the on in the GT2) will cause noise and might vibrate, so this is not true?

Old 10-12-2011, 06:56 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tphss
Thank for the input. How much was it?
I wanted to upgrade my clutch as well, the labor is expensive and the flywheel was recommended to be changed as well to avoid any possible unbalaced action that will result in vibration or possibly worse. Overall parts and labor I think were quoted to me around $3000 (clutch kit, flywheel, labor).

I understood from the dealer that installing a different kind of clutch (I suppose like the on in the GT2) will cause noise and might vibrate, so this is not true?
Once you change the dual mass flywheel for a light weight single mass you will get noise (the rattle). A new dual mass flywheel in $700 and change plus the cost of the disc and pressure plate (EVOMS stg 1 listed at 1600) so 2300 with out RMS, New bolts and throwout bearing. The 3000$ quote is the deal of the century.. PM inbound..

Old 10-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Dr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of light
Not to get off topic, but how is Cantech? I'm up in Watertown and have been looking for good local shops... but as you'd imagine there's not a huge Porsche scene up here

Old 10-12-2011, 10:15 AM
tphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
Once you change the dual mass flywheel for a light weight single mass you will get noise (the rattle). A new dual mass flywheel in $700 and change plus the cost of the disc and pressure plate (EVOMS stg 1 listed at 1600) so 2300 with out RMS, New bolts and throwout bearing. The 3000$ quote is the deal of the century.. PM inbound..
I'm pretty sure it was about 3000$, but it was for stock clutch and flywheel not aftermarket.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:45 AM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
For reliability and stock feel, Sachs Race Engineering upgraded clutch disc. They have versions for dual mass as well as single mass flywheels.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:10 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Old 10-12-2011, 05:31 PM
SSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond repute
I had BBi do a Sachs Stage 3 w/ AASCO flywheel and its great and feels the same as stock. The flywheel sounds a bit loud but I don't mind it and think it sounds kinda cool, purely preference however.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:02 PM
greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !
subsribing

Old 10-15-2011, 09:16 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
i have a UMW 700+ ft lbs kit...feels exactly like stock....if you don' count the lwfw. No isues i 5 years. Kit comes with all the bolts, etc., needed for the mechanic. Plug and chug. The LWFW is an add on that I like....964RS part.

Jeff

Old 10-24-2011, 03:50 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
Stock GT2 disc (no problem running dual mass FW) and Clutch Masters modded pressure plate. Around 1000 bucks with throwout bearing too. Would work just fine too.
I can find the clutch plate on ebay just fine, but they say they only fit the GT2. It's this one correct that also fits the Turbo?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...item27bf465175

Then where can you source just the Clutch Masters clutch plate?

Thanks in advance! My clutch is already slipping and needs to be replaced.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:43 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
I too recently got the UMW clutch kit fitted (along with gbox detent mod and new clutch accumulator).

Amazing feel, better than stocik. Super light.

I went with the LWFW, the engine doesnt rev as fast as I thought it would (still faster than stock), but the noise is barely noticably - in fact its kinda cool!

I give this kit a 10/10. I'm still breaking it in, but cant wait to really start using it!

Old 01-04-2012, 07:16 AM
S4Drifter is infamous around these parts
Sorry for such a late response.

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
Not to get off topic, but how is Cantech? I'm up in Watertown and have been looking for good local shops... but as you'd imagine there's not a huge Porsche scene up here
I just revisited this thread and saw your question.

Cantech Automotive is excellent. The owner (Rocco) is an enthusiast like ourselves and has a very high level of integrity. You can trust him to do the right thing. He is very involved in the Central New York PCA chapter. I have had my Pcars serviced there for almost 10 years. You should stop in and visit the shop. They usually have some great eye candy in the garage (two scuderias last time I went).

His rates are competitive, but most importantly he really stands behind his work.