996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Bilstein contact name/number PSS10?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 08:56 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pumalex
OK so it was around 125 per shock just for revalving, that is without the new coil right?

How much were the new coils?

I am trying to see if it is cheaper to rebuild them to my spec or buy a new suspension like the KW V3 and sell my PSS10 which are still perfect for the street or light track use.

Thanks for your help, let's make this thread with lots of info, it will certainly help someone else in the future.
You should double check with Bilstein, but that is what I remember - $125 per shock. Swift springs are a little more expensive than some of the other brands, but like I said, it's hard to find 70mm ID springs. They were around $100 each IIRC. I re-used the retainer springs. The Swift springs were really very high quality.

So the total cost for a rebuild compared to buying something new:
$1000 in parts for springs and shock rebuilds
One extra shipping charge to send shocks out (You have to pay for shipping in your new suspension anyway) $75? depending on where you are
All of the other costs (demounting, remounting, corner balance, alignment) you have to do either way.

That compares to around $3600 for KW V3's. If you were able to get $2500 for your PSS10's, you'd be even. That's pretty optimistic.

You might want to take a look at this thread, especially posts #21 and 22:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-source-2.html
I still have the springs mentioned in post #15 in that thread, if that turns out to be useful for you when you upgrade.

@vntperformance: I don't do launches. My car is set up for road courses, and I haven't done street races since I started paying for tires, which was about 40 years ago.

Jon

Old 10-14-2011, 08:57 AM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by pumalex
What was the outcome of your discussion with Steve at Rennsport?

Steve said that based on my description of how my car is behaving he suggests I at a minimum raise the car .5 inches all around for starters. The pss10 will allow 1-1.5 inches lower than stock. Wes said the front can go 15 mm-35 mm lwr than stock and rear 20 mm lwr than stock.

If raising the car did not help then the obvious next step is a better coilover that can handle track duty. I still think that if I went that route I would try the x73 as I have good results from that for the price, but, Steve was not a huge fan of the system.

Steve said that if I wanted to ride the pss10's on the lower range that I might need to buy some gt2 bits to dial out bump steer which I currently have as the car sits now. He explained that the strut on the 9 and 10's is longer and a jrz or motion coilover is shorter which is a better design for lowered cars.

I did not know that the former owners of Moton, have started a new co called Motion and Steve sells them. Still around the same price point of the Moton's. I take my car in next week to raise it up some and have a cb and allignment done. I have an event in Houston first weekend at Motor Sports Ranch so I will know better after that event.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:18 PM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
thanks everyone for your help.