996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Bilstein contact name/number PSS10?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 11:19 AM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
Bilstein contact name/number PSS10?

The car in my avatar is being used mostly for track duty now since I bought a new Turbo S. I need to hear from someone with Bilstein who has experience with the 996tt and the pss10 system for a car used for track.

I know that susp is not ideal for track and there is better out there but, I have all the other bits susp wise such as adj ft and rear control arms, adj drop links ft and rear, dog bones, linkeage, adj sways. You get the picture.

I am concerned that my current height is to low est 25.25 inches ft and 25.75 inches rear (floor to top of fender arch). I don't notice it much at the track at speed and can't tell if I am riding on my bump stops though I have read about it.

On the street with full hard, it seems pretty darn bumpy and the steering wheel can jet to the left/right at times if I hit a bump or undjulation in road. Does not inspire a ton of confidence at high speeds unless I am on a pretty smooth track surface.

I have left a msg for a Wes in CA and waiting for a call back but once prior when I was trying to answer this question I had been given a name of someone who was relocating from the East to West coast who had real world info on this and perhaps track exp also.

Thanks!

Old 10-13-2011, 12:35 PM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
Thanks to Steve at Rennsport for answering alot of questions and making some suggestions on a new height for my car. The contact at Bilstien gave me Steve's name and contact info.

Steve, thanks for the time you took on the phone with me today. You were very helpful and I would not hesitate to buy from you in the future!

Old 10-13-2011, 01:35 PM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
can you share your discussion as i also have the PSS10 and don't like how the rear behave on the track, excellent for the street though.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pumalex
can you share your discussion as i also have the PSS10 and don't like how the rear behave on the track, excellent for the street though.
Agree. PSS10 are a street coilover system, not good on the track.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:58 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
I revamped my PSS9 suspension over the past winter. I increased the spring rates front and rear, and had the shocks revalved at Bilstein to match the new springs. There's a guy there named Clarence who handles it. You tell them what springs you are going to run, and they revalve appropriately. Car handles much better now with 450 lb/in front, 670 lb/in rear.

Jon

Old 10-13-2011, 04:13 PM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FAST FWD
I revamped my PSS9 suspension over the past winter. I increased the spring rates front and rear, and had the shocks revalved at Bilstein to match the new springs. There's a guy there named Clarence who handles it. You tell them what springs you are going to run, and they revalve appropriately. Car handles much better now with 450 lb/in front, 670 lb/in rear.

Jon
Mind telling us how much it cost you? Do you know if they do the same thing for the PSS10?

Do you have a e-mail we can try?

Old 10-13-2011, 04:16 PM
bad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond repute
warranty@bilstein.com

i would just call them...

you want to talk to Ryan...he knows porsches

Old 10-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
Also, Clarence (he was a great guy), is no longer at Bilstein. I've spoken to Wes, and he seems like a good guy. Not sure about his knowledge of Porsches specifically though. Good luck. Just got my pss9's mounted and I'm in love. Going to post a thorough review and diy tonight.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !

Jon

What's your car being used for and at what %% of use?

Old 10-13-2011, 07:11 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vntperformance
What's your car being used for and at what %% of use?
My car is track and street, which is why I like having an adjustable suspension. My car came with the PSS9's, so the upgrading of them was much less expensive than starting over. I only get to the track 4-5 weekends per year, but that is what i really bought the car for. The ride on the interstates is fine, which is most of my street driving. Bumpy roads and railroad tracks are unpleasant.

Originally Posted by pumalex
Mind telling us how much it cost you? Do you know if they do the same thing for the PSS10? Do you have a e-mail we can try?
I did most of my contact by phone with Clarence, but Scottslaw says he is no longer there. So the email probably won't help. Just call the main number, and they'll hook you up. As I recall, it was $125/shock. You can pay a premium for faster turnaround. Plus shipping. Additional charges if they find something broken, in my case not.

It is important to understand that Bilstein is not going to give you any advice on setup for your car. Doesn't matter whether they know Porsches or not. All they do is rebuild the shocks to your spec. In my case, my instructions were "Revalve front shocks for 8 kg/mm springs" and "Revalve rear shocks for 12 kg/mm springs."

I chose those spring rates after looking at what other people were using, and talking to several folks. Springs for these shocks are a little hard to find, because they are 70mm ID, which isn't the most popular standard. I got mine from Swift.

Hope that helps.

jon

Old 10-13-2011, 08:32 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
My car is track and street, which is why I like having an adjustable suspension. My car came with the PSS9's, so the upgrading of them was much less expensive than starting over. I only get to the track 4-5 weekends per year, but that is what i really bought the car for. The ride on the interstates is fine, which is most of my street driving. Bumpy roads and railroad tracks are unpleasant.

I did most of my contact by phone with Clarence, but Scottslaw says he is no longer there. So the email probably won't help. Just call the main number, and they'll hook you up. As I recall, it was $125/shock. You can pay a premium for faster turnaround. Plus shipping. Additional charges if they find something broken, in my case not.

It is important to understand that Bilstein is not going to give you any advice on setup for your car. Doesn't matter whether they know Porsches or not. All they do is rebuild the shocks to your spec. In my case, my instructions were "Revalve front shocks for 8 kg/mm springs" and "Revalve rear shocks for 12 kg/mm springs."

I chose those spring rates after looking at what other people were using, and talking to several folks. Springs for these shocks are a little hard to find, because they are 70mm ID, which isn't the most popular standard. I got mine from Swift.

Hope that helps.

jon
Do any launches or hard launches from a dig, if so how is the weight distribution and traction?

Old 10-13-2011, 09:01 PM

Hope that helps.

jon

Your right, I spoke with Wes today but the only help he could offer for the 996tt platform was for me to call Steve at Rennsport which was helpful. It would have been nice if they knew a bit more about the application and some real world experience but Oh well.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by vntperformance
Do any launches or hard launches from a dig, if so how is the weight distribution and traction?
Been a long time since I have done it in my car but about 2 years ago for some time I was always at the drag strip. My car had bad wheel hop most of the time no matter what size wheels 18 or 19 or rubber.

I was told that once I got the dogbones, and linkeage in rear it might go away but have not been back to test it out since.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:31 AM
OK so it was around 125 per shock just for revalving, that is without the new coil right?

How much were the new coils?

I am trying to see if it is cheaper to rebuild them to my spec or buy a new suspension like the KW V3 and sell my PSS10 which are still perfect for the street or light track use.

Thanks for your help, let's make this thread with lots of info, it will certainly help someone else in the future.

Hope that helps.

jon

Old 10-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by hollywood996tts
Your right, I spoke with Wes today but the only help he could offer for the 996tt platform was for me to call Steve at Rennsport which was helpful. It would have been nice if they knew a bit more about the application and some real world experience but Oh well.
What was the outcome of your discussion with Steve at Rennsport?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bilstein contact name/number PSS10?