996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Need Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 06:17 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Need Help with Intake Install

I had the FVD intake installed the other day. Drove the car home & all was fine. When I got home I installed the EVO intake. Unfortunately, the air box did not come with the holes pre-drilled for the studs that come out of the back of the venturi. After butchering the thing by drilling a few holes in the wrong spots to try and get the correct angle for the MAF, I finally managed to get the whole thing in. I tried to patch up the incorrect holes, ghetto style. The MAF is angled to the right and is pressing up against the end of the Y pipe, as opposed to being straight up for maximum clearance, but I think it's OK. After test driving the car (hard) I had a CEL (drive car to garage). Everything seemed seemed to be operating fine. I reset the ECU and did the throttle body recalibration thing last night. This morning when driving to work, no CEL. Driving home, I got onto the freeway to open it up a bit and the CEL came back. Same message. This time, the car was dumping boost and would not go over 0.5-0.6 bar boost.

What should I do?

Mike

Last edited by Zippy; 04-29-2005 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:52 PM
schnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant future
Is your idle unsteady or does the car seem like it is running very rich (lots of gas aroma)?

Old 04-29-2005, 07:09 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Idle seem fairly normal. No noticible gas smell

Old 04-29-2005, 07:16 PM
vipertestarossa is a jewel in the roughvipertestarossa is a jewel in the roughvipertestarossa is a jewel in the rough
Mike

The MAF has to be angled in a certain way or it will cause havoc
What program are you running your car in?...It's possible you are way lean as well

Sounds like you have a boost leak as well which you probably already figured

Have the OBD system scanned for codes as well to get some sort of starting point

Old 04-29-2005, 09:04 PM
I'm running the 91 octane program. Exhaust tips have always been quite black before the 2 new intakes. I was hoping there would be some room on this program to handle the extra air. How does the MAF have to be angled to work properly? I'll drill a couple of more holes in the EVO air box and get it lined up better. I'm going to take it out again tonight, replace it with the OEM intake, reset the ECU and take it from there. If I still get a code I will at least have less variables to sort out. Thanks for your help.

Mike

Old 04-29-2005, 09:07 PM
vipertestarossa is a jewel in the roughvipertestarossa is a jewel in the roughvipertestarossa is a jewel in the rough
Mike,

Contact Stephen at Imagine or Todd at EVO for further advice
they will surely help you

Old 04-30-2005, 12:48 PM
I think I figured out my CEL problem.

After I installed the EVO air box, I think I forgot to set the IBE switch back to "Performance" mode. I think all the extra air from the STG4GT turbos, intake plenum and new air box totally confused the stock program. I reset the ECU last night again, flipped it into performance mode with the IBE switch and then went for a spirited drive for about 45 mins... and no CEL.

Thank your lucky stars I don't work at any of the tuning shops or you guys would all be skrewed!

Mike

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.