996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tires needed.... which ones to get?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Just installed set of the Hankook V12s, primarily for DD but they might see a few wet DEs this spring. I replaced a set of burned out Pilot Cups that only saw 5 DEs and some DD time. The car was handling quite poorly on them- every bump it felt like the car would "skip" to the right. I thought I had a suspension issue.

I went out on a run with several other P-Cars on NewYears (see post from Eugene). The tires were greasy the first 15 miles but then scrubbed clean and held very well. Road noise is down considerably and it feels like I have a new suspension again. I'm currently running PSS9 dropped to 26" with TRG links and have a moderate alignment/corner balance, stock hollow 18s and standard size. So far very impressed especially for the price!

Old 01-03-2012, 08:16 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Had Sumitomoa HTR Z III's. Great DD tire. Not perfect, but cheap and pretty darn good.

Went to Yokohama ADVAN AD08.
Superb tire. Great DE and road tires. Actually good in rain. Check with locals in regards to Boca flood rains....

JB

Old 01-03-2012, 08:46 PM
03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future
@Mike5876, here are some tire shops I use in South Florida, and NOT in any particular order:

1) Tires on site -- Carlos. They come to you (home or work). Recently (2 mos ago), He was able to get 315/25/19 nittos when many others had them on back order.

2) Wheel Boutique -- Ben. I bought my HRE's from him. he's a stand up guy and is/was a sponsor here. He is big in the exotic car world. He stocks lots of tires and also had them when I was looking but is a little to far to drive when I had other options

3)Tire Hut --Jerry. Sunrise blvd east of 95. I've bought tires from him for almost 20 years and he still doesnt know me from a hole in the wall, but his prices are good and usually in and out within 60-90 minutes.

Hope this helps

Last edited by 03 996tt; 01-03-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Etchhead
Just installed set of the Hankook V12s, primarily for DD but they might see a few wet DEs this spring. I replaced a set of burned out Pilot Cups that only saw 5 DEs and some DD time. The car was handling quite poorly on them- every bump it felt like the car would "skip" to the right. I thought I had a suspension issue.

I went out on a run with several other P-Cars on NewYears (see post from Eugene). The tires were greasy the first 15 miles but then scrubbed clean and held very well. Road noise is down considerably and it feels like I have a new suspension again. I'm currently running PSS9 dropped to 26" with TRG links and have a moderate alignment/corner balance, stock hollow 18s and standard size. So far very impressed especially for the price!
Thanks for the update. I'm looking into a set of V12s to replace Pilot Sport Ribs (yes, they're a bit older) on my set of GT3 style wheels. I have a set of PS2s on my Turbo Twists, but can't justify the cost of 2 sets of PS2s.

It sounds like I have almost the same driving requirements -- DD with the occasional HPDE (maybe 3-4 times per year). Were your tires greasy because they were cold or still relatively new? I've read that it might take 500 miles or so before they grip better.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:45 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
I ran my tires at 36 psi last Sunday in all four corners per f1crazydriver (he actually suggested 35). I LOVED the handling even with PS2 up front and Falken on the back. My point is tire pressure does make a big difference.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by MY996TT
I ran my tires at 36 psi last Sunday in all four corners per f1crazydriver (he actually suggested 35). I LOVED the handling even with PS2 up front and Falken on the back. My point is tire pressure does make a big difference.
Absolutely! The contact patch gets much bigger when you lower the tire pressure. Of course, it's a trade off between contact patch size and sidewall stiffness. I'll try lowering the pressure on my rears too -- I've been running 34/42 (front/rear) lately.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
The V12s were greasy because they were brand new- but the windy road rubbed em down pretty quickly and they performed well.

My drive home tonight over some pretty ****ty roads was quite pleasant with the new tires. My Cups were just so bad. My ride is much smoother now. I had been a bit turned off of the car just two weeks ago. I think the fire is rekindled- now I'm contemplating turbo upgrades... Thanks TireRack!

Old 01-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Thales has a spectacular aura aboutThales has a spectacular aura about
How is road noise with your Falken rears? I would like to try something symmetrical for my next set...

Old 01-09-2012, 10:44 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Not bad, better than my Kumhos.

Originally Posted by Thales
How is road noise with your Falken rears? I would like to try something symmetrical for my next set...

Old 01-09-2012, 11:51 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
You do that at a road track,to have presure at 36 even it is very hot and pressure may go to 42 psi ??

Old 01-09-2012, 10:34 PM
tgsmith4845 is a jewel in the roughtgsmith4845 is a jewel in the roughtgsmith4845 is a jewel in the roughtgsmith4845 is a jewel in the rough
I'm running PS2's on hollow spokes for DD, 36/42 psi. Toyo R888's on hollow spokes for DE's; still playing with the R888 pressures on the track. Pressure suggestions?

Love both sets of tires - PS2's handle well and are nice and quiet on the street, and R888's are nice and grippy (but noisy) on the track.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:14 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mike5876
You guys know where to get the nittos? No one has them. In in south Florida
Tire rack says back ordered

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280365206822...WAX:IT&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220445331788...WAX:IT&vxp=mtr

Old 01-13-2012, 09:48 AM
HIX
HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !
This thread really helped my decision for tire choice. I just ordered a set of Nitto Invo's. Also wanted to say that I found tires from www.discounttires.com in CA and was really impressed by the price and service. I am in no way affiliated with them, but thought I would give the name out.

I also appreciate Ben at WheelWizard for helping me try to find tires as well.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:39 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
I have Nitto Invo 315/25/19 on my rears. I've been very happy with thier grip, performance, looks, price, and they are quite, but longevity sucks like all the 315/25/19 size options. I've got about 6,000 miles on them now and I'm doubting I'll make it past 7,000 miles before needing replacement. Most of this is due to the 996tt's aggressive camber setup eating up the inside edges dramatically faster. When the current set is dead and I put 4 new tires on, I'm having an alignment done to take out a good chunk of this camber to help them wear more evenly. I really dont' care if I sacrific some stability at 140mph or whatever considering this is a road use only car and 7,000 miles for the price of tires on this car is ridiculous.

That said, I'll probably get the Nitto's again for the rear since they are more reasonably priced and I dont' think wear faster than any other 315/25/19 avilable options. I REALLY WISH HANKOOK WOULD MAKE THE V12 VENTUS IN 315/25/19 REARS. DAMMMIT!

Pics attached of Nitto invos with 6k miles as of last week:

Attached Images   

Last edited by MikeR397; 01-13-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:57 AM
GP2222 is infamous around these parts
I've always suspected that Falkens achieve their decent grip levels by softening the compond, as all the Falkens I've had have worn out really quickly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tires needed.... which ones to get?