996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Finaly got Gt2 after 5 deals failed through

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 09:08 PM
LCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to behold
AlexN - you are correct so I'm adding about 25lbs to the car
Even more incentive to do L-Ion bat and light seats/carbon roof, etc.

Hopefully I can get it down to 2950

Old 10-23-2011, 11:14 PM
Simi_996 is infamous around these partsSimi_996 is infamous around these parts
Beautiful car...congrats!

I don't think I have ever seen a 996 with 20s. Awesome wheels tho!

Old 10-24-2011, 12:08 AM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Looks like you found quite a customized and unique gt2 ... I'm not huge on stereo for the gt2 certainly not the kind of car that is defined by it's interior amenities what exactly is your plan with the cf roof? Remove the factory roof panel and go with an aftermarket cd roof? Have fun and enjoy the car and welcome to the club keep is posted on how u like the car!

Old 10-24-2011, 12:55 AM
LCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to behold
Yes - car is very well customised which is a "bad" thing. It makes me want to do it perfectly .

For example in any normal Gt2 I would welcome $300 Alpine headunit with $500 Alpine processor and a $800 JL Amp as a great upgrade from stock system especialy considering what this is a loud car. But considering what car has over $10K worth of speakers and greatly and tastefully done custom sub it would hurt me to see a crappy little parts bottlenecking a system. And looking at inexpencive plastic Alpine facia in the middle of all that glorious CF ad alcantara sux.. )))))))))))

So this car going to get one of the worlds most beautifull and best headunits and a amp to match even if they are wasted on this car - better in the car then on my shelf

Same thing with a seats - they stick out as a sore thumb )

Same thing with suspension If i was starting from scratch - KW and some Agency power small items would have been sufficient - but since it does have all the big goodies already - spend a bit more and get it perfect.

I think great LSD would help a lot ))

The only thing I would be doing very different is a preformance package - I would be going with Alpha 28s but since car already has a lot in it I would only add things which will make sence if I do decide to step to A28s in the future

Thanks for a whishes and a lot of good info I'm getting from this board

Old 10-24-2011, 08:01 AM
AlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud of
I wouldn't worry about the 25 lbs too much.
My car also came with a very nice stereo, very similar to this car, amp in the front, sub in the back.. apparently the previous owner was an audiophile and made a big investments in the stereo.
He even went and added the door speakers back.
I bought this car sight unseen based on the feedback I got from GMG (they were the ones that built and serviced the car), so my first thought was similar to Sunir's; why add all that weight back?
I was planning to take it all out and sell it, but when I heard it for the first time and saw the level of detail, it changed my mind.
Afterall, these are still mostly street cars and this negligible weight is not something I can feel.
Here are a few pics of my setup

Attached Images    
Old 10-24-2011, 12:53 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Alex nice setup I guess of the car comes with it may as well leave it, I've never been too much of a car audio guy but I know some people are and really put a big emphasis on stereo....which I might on a nice sedan daily driver. I just don't see value of a good system in a gt2 or GT3 or RS, it's contradictory to the basic principle and purpose of the car(s)...on a C2, Cayenne, Caymen, Boxter, Panamera C4, or turbo I get it

OP, as far as the cf roof...what and how are you going to do that?

Old 10-24-2011, 04:15 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Uhhhhh, that car was certainly in the wrong hands LMAO...

Congrats on finally getting a 2... Glad you are going back to 18's, and please, get rid of that stereo equipment, just terrible....

Enjoy

Old 10-24-2011, 04:21 PM
...I really don't think you need to play with anything suspension related until you start driving the car and getting used to it...you have no baseline yet, remember changes and mods can be good but they can also make you slower and less confident if they are not planned out or done at the inappropriate times in a driver's learning curve... you're talking about sway bars, new coilover setup, tarmac kit all sorts of stuff...you're a vendor's dream but at the same time you're doing a lot without formutlating a basis for each incrimental change... the GT2 is not the limiting factor out of the box, it's factory setup is just fine...if anything is limiting that car's performance it is the human not the machine. Very very few drivers can pull out the potential of that car even stock let alone altered.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:35 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sunir
...I really don't think you need to play with anything suspension related until you start driving the car and getting used to it...you have no baseline yet, remember changes and mods can be good but they can also make you slower and less confident if they are not planned out or done at the inappropriate times in a driver's learning curve... you're talking about sway bars, new coilover setup, tarmac kit all sorts of stuff...you're a vendor's dream but at the same time you're doing a lot without formutlating a basis for each incrimental change... the GT2 is not the limiting factor out of the box, it's factory setup is just fine...if anything is limiting that car's performance it is the human not the machine. Very very few drivers can pull out the potential of that car even stock let alone altered.
Right on the money...

It took me year's to formulate my suspension to where I like it, but, with all of my logging and feedback to Lex at Moton, other racer's and suspension guru's, GMG etc to help out with feedback and settings, and than myself wringing it out on different tracks...

One of the worst things to do is to upgrade every component of a GT car's suspension... These car's are so finicky, to someone who doesn't know better, they probably wont notice if the toe is out or any dynamic changes of camber under load/compression and or rebound.... When we upgrade each part, to especially adjustable components, it leaves too much room and option for adjustability and can drive people nuts..

Keep it simple Ask me how I know

Old 10-25-2011, 01:18 AM
As far as suspension setup and dialing in goes I'm planing to have guys RPM North to give me a good starting point - unless people her on the board have better suggestions for NY TriState area.

After that - thats a lot of driving to dial in. It took me about 35-40 hours to dial my first heavily modified suspension in. After that I was spending anythere from 8-20 hours on different cars in the past - I'm pretty good in knowing what I do and do not like about handling and good about making compromises.
Since suspension on the car I'm getting is not stock I have no confidence what it is set up right or "perfect" - might as well go to the "proven formula as a base" and start my jorney there

Have enough people who I worked with in the past to help me dial in suspensions (i think I mentioned some names in our e-mail exchange) as well as some folks who do some work with GMG to reach for an advice.

I clearly understand what Gt2 setup is a very complex and probably much more complex then AMG or Infinity custom setups I worked with before and I'm willing to work on it as long as it takes to reach right compromise

This is just my position.

I do had/have cars which handle close to well sorted 911 turbo and looking for a major step up - this is why I went for GT2.

Moreover - I'm going for prety much same components you have
I ibelive that would make a greate base for a out of this world suspension

I understand what it will be a long jorney
I

I

Old 10-25-2011, 01:32 AM
As far as a CF Roof goes - Getty Design - should be 8 lbs - it's a roof panel replacment - http://www.gettydesign.com/996_bodywork.html#roof

Does anybody know if GT2 has steel or aluminum roof?

Also from Getty Designs - in love with their BridgeWing - http://www.gettydesign.com/996_tailbases.html#bridge

Do you think it can work with GT2 and generate enough downforce?
Just never been a fan of GT2 wing

Old 10-25-2011, 04:07 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Congrats Leon! Just read your PM... Forget everything I put in it... send me an email and we'll go from there... setup on this car will be key for you to get the most out of it.

Mike

Old 10-25-2011, 04:08 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
If you're going to deviate from the GT2 Wing, I'd go with the CupCar wing and plan to upgrade to the cupcar uprights on the suspension so you can get the car lower.

Mike

Originally Posted by LCatGA
As far as a CF Roof goes - Getty Design - should be 8 lbs - it's a roof panel replacment - http://www.gettydesign.com/996_bodywork.html#roof

Does anybody know if GT2 has steel or aluminum roof?

Also from Getty Designs - in love with their BridgeWing - http://www.gettydesign.com/996_tailbases.html#bridge

Do you think it can work with GT2 and generate enough downforce?
Just never been a fan of GT2 wing

Old 10-25-2011, 04:09 AM
TDarby is just really niceTDarby is just really niceTDarby is just really niceTDarby is just really nice
Depending on your location protosport is located in northern NJ about 30 min from the GWB. Many have used them here with great success.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:13 AM
Mike, I just sent Leon a PM with all your parts listed in it... didn't realize he'd PM'ed me several days ago... Told him to buy your control arm kit (front and rear, what a great bargain), toe links and subframe bushings, along with the end links...

Leon, you're in good hands!
Mike

Originally Posted by RSSmike
Enjoy the newly purchased GT2, the Tarmac Series Suspension Kit (2-pc. Lower Control Arms, Toe Steer Kit, and Upper Adjustable Links) is on the way, now you will have the precision handling and control to match the GT2's power..

-mike

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finaly got Gt2 after 5 deals failed through