996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help - DV's and boost hoses installed, now spiking at 1.3-1.5 BAR - Safe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
pressure test fromt he turbos to 20 PSI....
you will most if not all leaks and or problems...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 11-08-2011, 05:34 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Bring it down to Louisville and i'll help you out!

Old 11-08-2011, 07:43 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Marski, I belive that is what they did today, everything looks fine they said.

Thanks Raineycd, I might take you up on that if removing the aftermarket DV's and going back to the original stock DV's that never had an issue and replacing the initial timed valve (I guess what I'm going to do tomorrow), doesn't work. Seems like the safest bet and I can always put the DV's back in for another 1.5 sweet hours of labor at $120 an hour!

BTW, if you don't recall, we met at the Porsche event in Oxford at Miami University. I was the 6'6'' tall guy . You've got a sweet ride for sure, hopefully running smoothly!

Old 11-08-2011, 07:54 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MikeR397
Marski, I belive that is what they did today, everything looks fine they said.

Thanks Raineycd, I might take you up on that if removing the aftermarket DV's and going back to the original stock DV's that never had an issue and replacing the initial timed valve (I guess what I'm going to do tomorrow), doesn't work. Seems like the safest bet and I can always put the DV's back in for another 1.5 sweet hours of labor at $120 an hour!

BTW, if you don't recall, we met at the Porsche event in Oxford at Miami University. I was the 6'6'' tall guy . You've got a sweet ride for sure, hopefully running smoothly!
I think I remember! I am better with faces! Were you hanging with Matt (powderjay)? And were you there when my wife threw the pizza at me - she thought I was taking a picture of Matt's wife or something.

Oh and if you put stock DV's on, get the new model 710n I think?

Old 11-09-2011, 03:46 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
DAMMIT. The stock DV's and stock timed valve were put back in today and car is still overboosting to 1.3-1.5bars, MAG cannot find leaks in ANY hoses and wastegates are functioning fine. They said they are done looking at the car until I flash it back to stock b/c they think it's the tune (and Switzer is sure it isn't).

Everything was fine with 1.1 bar for well over a year, the diverter boost hose split and bar's dropped to .4, was replaced, and now that stock DV's and stock timed valve are back in so the only chage was the new diverter and Y hose, and yet the car still boosts to 1.3-1.5bars now. Maybe I do need to reflash? It's gotta be wastegate related and Mag just keeps missing it, but they refuse to keep looking while the car has a tune. I guess I will take it to an indy shop here in Columbus and start (paying $) all over again .

Last edited by MikeR397; 11-09-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by MikeR397
DAMMIT. The stock DV's and stock timed valve were put back in today and car is still overboosting to 1.3-1.5bars, MAG cannot find leaks in ANY hoses and wastegates are functioning fine. They said they are done looking at the car until I flash it back to stock b/c they think it's the tune (and Switzer is sure it isn't).

Everything was fine with 1.1 bar for well over a year, the diverter boost hose split and bar's dropped to .4, was replaced, and now that stock DV's and stock timed valve are back in so the only chage was the new diverter and Y hose, and yet the car still boosts to 1.3-1.5bars now. Maybe I do need to reflash? It's gotta be wastegate related and Mag just keeps missing it, but they refuse to keep looking while the car has a tune. I guess I will take it to an indy shop here in Columbus and start (paying $) all over again .

That sucks man. Still sounds like something to do with the wastegates not opening. So either a hose off or N75 not working/hooked up wrong.

Why did they replace the N75 in the first place? To try to fix the overboost?

Bring her down if you want and we can data log it and see what the computer is requesting, I have boost leak testing rig to see as well!

Old 11-09-2011, 05:18 PM
But def stay out of boost until you get it fixed - 1.3-1.5 on pump gas without proper fueling is not a good situation...

Old 11-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Raineycd, thanks again for the generous offer. I may have to do that, looks about 3.5 hours each way from Columbus. I talked to Switzer (2.25 hours away) and Ethan kindly offered to take a look at it for me if I take it up there. I have a cable but he said diagnostics is not going to help much and it has to be hardware related that MAG is missing (after four attempts). There is a local place AutoAssets I can take it too, but I think Switzer is my best bet and may have any needed parts in stock too. I also have a friend in the area I can stay with for a day or two. It's been 6 weeks now and four trips to MAG, getting close to $1,000 in labor and the end result at the moment is only the diverter and y hose were replaced (and only the diverter tube had the split) and the problem is still there.

MAG's notes from today say "reinstalled old parts (original stock DV's and pressure relief valve and original wastegate solenoid). Pressure tested from the solenoid to the wastegates, found holds pressure and wastegates are operating normally. Car still boosts 1.3-1.4 bar in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears."

I now have the evom black billet DV's which are obviously functioning fine and I paid $125 or so for them. I'd like to put them back in (although stock DV's are working fine) but I need to diagnose the problem first and my wallet is on fire from $220 labor here and $315 there and $275 here at the moment!

Last edited by MikeR397; 11-10-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:33 PM
Yep, probably hardware, but good to log just to rule it out...

Keep us posted!

Old 11-10-2011, 04:30 PM
powderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by raineycd
I think I remember! I am better with faces! Were you hanging with Matt (powderjay)? And were you there when my wife threw the pizza at me - she thought I was taking a picture of Matt's wife or something.

Oh and if you put stock DV's on, get the new model 710n I think?
Hey don't get pizza thrown at me I was with my buddy not my wife and I never met this cat!

Old 12-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Solution found: Hard reboot ECU by disconnecting battery to reset system and the car is now boosting properly 1.0-1.1 bar (no reflash needed).

After 3 trips over 2 months, $1k in labor and unecessary parts at MAG trying to figure the overboost out after fixing the initial (simple) F-hose spilt, I took it to AutoAssets who did a COMPLETE boost test (no issues found), checked accuracy of boost readout (accurate), then finally found that the ECU was requesting too much boost as a result of overcompensating when the F-hose originally split, so they disconnected the battery and reconnected and it's good to go. Unfortunately, it took another 3 hours labor to discover this extremely simple solution, but I'm very happy with AutoAssets for figuring this out on the first attempt, and will likely be servicing my Porsche there from now on instead of MAG, who never even thought to try this after having the car for 3x as much time and charges a significantly higher labor rate.

Is it too audacious of me to ask Mag for a partial refund of all this unecessary labor, perhaps 1/3 of what I paid overall? I'm probalby just frustrated, but at a minimum, I'm going to ask them to return the Timed Valve I bought for ~$50 that I did not need. I don't really want to burn bridges with them, but hopefully you can understand how frustrating it is to find out such a simple issue took so much time and $ to fix when it should/could have taken a $30 part and maybe 2-3 hours diagnostic labor tops.

Last edited by MikeR397; 12-13-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:31 PM
vip gts is just really nicevip gts is just really nicevip gts is just really nicevip gts is just really nicevip gts is just really nice
Good that you posted this since it may save someone else this problem.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:23 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Glad you have it fixed. Just out of curiosity, why are you so dead set on replacing the stock (and properly functioning) DVs with the aftermarket ones? I have the stock DVs on my modded car that I track and have never had any issues with them, 100% maintenance free....

Old 12-14-2011, 01:56 PM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
could not believe that a ecu reset was the reason...but accept now it`s okay

boost adaption has a learning curve from most situations without any problems....depend if system is okay

....hope your failure doesn´t come back

Old 12-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Glad you have it fixed. Just out of curiosity, why are you so dead set on replacing the stock (and properly functioning) DVs with the aftermarket ones? I have the stock DVs on my modded car that I track and have never had any issues with them, 100% maintenance free....
I don't care, other than that now I have a set of DV's I paid for that I don't need and will be sitting around collecting dust. When the aftermarket DV's were in, I thought I noticed boost was retained better during shifts and immediately after, but it's hard to tell especially since there was the overboost problem in the first place.

AFAIK, the DV's on there now are the original ones with 36k miles on them now (although car was completely stock with prior owner for the first 29k miles).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help - DV's and boost hoses installed, now spiking at 1.3-1.5 BAR - Safe?