996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GT2 showed up today - first impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 05:50 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Doesn't sound like that performance shop did a good job... Tighten up the front rebound a little bit to keep the nose under control, it will make a mile of difference. You could loosen the rear rebound a little too if you feel it needs it, the car is supposed to feel like ONE car, not a front end doing one thing and the rear another. It's not very difficult to set shocks, only if you have no clue about driving and even less feel for the car when you are driving it.

Also remember before you risk sounding.. ehm.... that it's a light car with a relatively small 3.6 l engine, therefore don't expect it do work for you like an E55 supercharged engine if you don't even take your finger out of your navel and put it on the shifter.

The GT2 car is like a smokin hot chick, if you make no effort and are a couch potato you get nothing, and dinner won't be put in front of you to gob down with the next 6pack of beer. If you work on it really hard though, yet smoothly, it may reward you like nothing you have ever experienced if you did the right things. The GT2 is not for everyone.

Try to downshift a couple steps and keep the needle in the fun zone.

On the other hand you could also try to sink in an E55 engine and automatic tranny into the backseat of the GT2. It's probably still cheaper than the mods you did on the E55 and might add that bit of missing performance with less lag than any turbo-setup can ever offer.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:04 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
To be honest, it sounds like either your turbo setup is laggy or your tune is faulty. Maybe even a boost leak or faulty DVs. And it also sounds like your suspension is set on cadillac settings. Motons have an adjustment range from mushy to go cart. Their is absolutely no reason for that car to not rip your head off, eat it and scat the remnants all over the other cars you own. And no offense to your stable. You have a sick collection. If the car you have now is not in the 11s, you have issues. A flashed K16 TT with exhaust can run in the 11s. Just sayin'. Get it looked at.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Mattyrae is infamous around these parts
I still laugh at all the money people dump into these cars for what? No racing series accepts 600 hp at the wheels, and even if one did, the chassis would never stand up to a factory spec race car. You have over 90k in mods on your E55? Does it make your significant other "friskier" when you take her out for dinner?

Don't get me wrong, I tried to turn my RX-7 into something it was never designed to be, and I have 50k less cash to show for it as it sits parked all year long in my garage.

Look at the previous owner of your GT2, how much did he lose for less than 10k of ownership mileage?

I would love to know where in New York you can take your high power modded cars over 120mph?

You are definitely keeping the tuning shop owner happy, I will give you that.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:31 PM
LCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Mattyrae
I still laugh at all the money people dump into these cars for what? No racing series accepts 600 hp at the wheels, and even if one did, the chassis would never stand up to a factory spec race car. You have over 90k in mods on your E55? Does it make your significant other "friskier" when you take her out for dinner?

Look at the previous owner of your GT2, how much did he lose for less than 10k of ownership mileage?

I would love to know where in New York you can take your high power modded cars over 120mph?

You are definitely keeping the tuning shop owner happy, I will give you that.
Have close to 80K - about 50 in preformance and about 30K in very custom audio I designed. A lot of times $$$ are spend on trying some path which does not work out.

Now - as far as why - no it is not to make significant one friskier - as my ex wife sad once - I could understand if you showing up at 4AM smeling like ladies parfume and boose but youo showing up smeling like motor oil and gas and it bellitles me as a women )))))))))

Why do we do it - cuz we want to.
Nobody need Gt2 - even stock GT2 )))
Toyota Camry will get you from point A to point B better.

I do not care about participating in racing events nor will I admit to street racing but I do "know" individual who is regularly tsken his AMGs to 180+mph on Long Island ))))))))))))))))))))))
Me - I'm just a forum racer - race only on paper - Yes oficer I was not speeding but I'm sure as hell passed somebody who was.

Sice it is past expiration date I was clocked by Police Oficer doing 174 on 95 in Miami in 1997 - but was let off with no speed belt ticket given curcumstances.

As far as loosing $$$ - 99.9% of the cars in the world are not an investment - you losing value in exchange for your emotional state - some loose more some loose less - but if you buying a car to drive it as it was meant - you loosing $$$.

I do not keep shop owners happy - most of the work I get for free - or in exchange for some software. Also a lot of times my cars are beeing used to prototype something - have a lot of friends in industry. I defenetley do spend money on the parts and such - but why not - beats spendig them on drugs but a lot of times I will get them at cost.

Again - att the end of the day not a ingle person on this board owns their cars for a good reason unless they proffesional race drivers, take peoples money on the street or driving instructors(or maybe a "drag traffikers" although I doubt what any car in this country will outrun radio

Old 10-27-2011, 06:54 PM
LCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MrWhite
Doesn't sound like that performance shop did a good job... Tighten up the front rebound a little bit to keep the nose under control, it will make a mile of difference. You could loosen the rear rebound a little too if you feel it needs it, the car is supposed to feel like ONE car, not a front end doing one thing and the rear another. It's not very difficult to set shocks, only if you have no clue about driving and even less feel for the car when you are driving it.
The GT2 is not for everyone.

Try to downshift a couple steps and keep the needle in the fun zone.
I know what they set tis car up to be a Caddy - wwill have to undo it.
Will be working on the settings as soon as it dries out here. I also suspect what front strut bar(aftermarket) there is overtightent - had that before on CK63 and it gave siular effect
In any event car does need better engine mounts - feel weght shifting as I go in to turn.

As far as GT2 not beeing 5.5-6 liter engine and a need for it to be revved up - understand very clearly - car comes alive after 3500 rpm - If I could get it down to 2800 - would be in heaven

Originally Posted by VAGscum
To be honest, it sounds like either your turbo setup is laggy or your tune is faulty. Maybe even a boost leak or faulty DVs. And it also sounds like your suspension is set on cadillac settings. Motons have an adjustment range from mushy to go cart. Their is absolutely no reason for that car to not rip your head off, eat it and scat the remnants all over the other cars you own. And no offense to your stable. You have a sick collection. If the car you have now is not in the 11s, you have issues. A flashed K16 TT with exhaust can run in the 11s. Just sayin'. Get it looked at.
Car is in high 11s - preffer it to be in low 11s. Remember - FVD uses stock wastegates, running at 1 bar and no ICs - car probably makes 500 whp peak but small area under curve

As far as ripping head off and spitting it over other cars - drive well tuned S65 with VRP850 - 800 lbs of TQ at 2300 RPMs on the 91 octane - you will understand wat this is not the case. P-Cars are not a 1/4 mile monsters - nor did I had any expectations of them beeing that - they are designed as a fine driving machines for a capable drivers. BTW - my S65 is my least favorit car and I would have sold it in heartbeat if not for my ex-wife and now my SO love it. I put less than 6K miles on it in 2 years

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Leon, Something's up, seriously... My 996TT would outrun Hyabusas and break traction with the PSM off in the first 4 gears when it was in RWD and that was with very small hybrid turbos...

Your car should be impressing you, big time.

Mike
Mike - you car has a very good low end TQ - we know your setup. I still would question it's ability to break tires loose in 4th and maybe even 3rd if clutch is fully engauged and you just pressing on the accelerator cruzing at 40-50mph(2300-2500 RPM in 4th if I'm not mistaken)

Now revving up engine and dropping clutch - yes you can probably do it but why

Old 10-27-2011, 07:13 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Well as a racer and driving instructor I can tell u the gt2 should be an impressive car out of the box and ive driven everything from cup cars to spec racers to open wheel cars.

As a fellow benz enthusaist I also have an sl55 Amg that is nodded and should do 10's when I get her to the dragstrip on drag radials. My gt2 and my nodded sl55 are totally two different animals in almost everyday, comparing them is not really the best index to measure relative performance. As everyone is saying here there is somehow aspects of ur gt2 that don't make sense ... It's a very raw and connected and visceral car.... Your review of it is the first of it's kind I've seen it's confusing for me as a fellow gt2 and Amg enthusiast and owner... Good luck w getting what you want out of the car

Old 10-27-2011, 07:27 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LCatGA
I know what they set tis car up to be a Caddy - wwill have to undo it.
Will be working on the settings as soon as it dries out here. I also suspect what front strut bar(aftermarket) there is overtightent - had that before on CK63 and it gave siular effect
In any event car does need better engine mounts - feel weght shifting as I go in to turn.

As far as GT2 not beeing 5.5-6 liter engine and a need for it to be revved up - understand very clearly - car comes alive after 3500 rpm - If I could get it down to 2800 - would be in heaven

Car is in high 11s - preffer it to be in low 11s. Remember - FVD uses stock wastegates, running at 1 bar and no ICs - car probably makes 500 whp peak but small area under curve

As far as ripping head off and spitting it over other cars - drive well tuned S65 with VRP850 - 800 lbs of TQ at 2300 RPMs on the 91 octane - you will understand wat this is not the case. P-Cars are not a 1/4 mile monsters - nor did I had any expectations of them beeing that - they are designed as a fine driving machines for a capable drivers. BTW - my S65 is my least favorit car and I would have sold it in heartbeat if not for my ex-wife and now my SO love it. I put less than 6K miles on it in 2 years

Mike - you car has a very good low end TQ - we know your setup. I still would question it's ability to break tires loose in 4th and maybe even 3rd if clutch is fully engauged and you just pressing on the accelerator cruzing at 40-50mph(2300-2500 RPM in 4th if I'm not mistaken)

Now revving up engine and dropping clutch - yes you can probably do it but why
I am not very familiar with the K24/26 setup, but it sounds like a pretty laggy setup. I know the guys running the K24/18Gs are having pretty good spool and great power. While I agree that the 996TT is not a 1/4 car, high 11s in a hybrid k24 turbo car is slow. Especially when K16 flashed cars are in the high 11s. Get that thing leak checked and check out your DVs.

As for your S65 at 800 tq car, that is quite an achievement. Those are very nice and capable cars. But it isn't a GT2. Get that thing looked over and sorted and then compare. With Motons and no leaks that thing should rip. The S65 may be a better straight line car, but so is a 5k fox body mustang with 5k in mods. That thing will out handle your cars when it is set up properly, trust me. It isn't a shot at your cars, or their dyno numbers. Just the facts. Get it looked at.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:16 PM
I am not very familiar with the K24/26 setup, but it sounds like a pretty laggy setup. I know the guys running the K24/18Gs are having pretty good spool and great power. While I agree that the 996TT is not a 1/4 car, high 11s in a hybrid k24 turbo car is slow. Especially when K16 flashed cars are in the high 11s. Get that thing leak checked and check out your DVs.

As for your S65 at 800 tq car, that is quite an achievement. Those are very nice and capable cars. But it isn't a GT2. Get that thing looked over and sorted and then compare. With Motons and no leaks that thing should rip. The S65 may be a better straight line car, but so is a 5k fox body mustang with 5k in mods. That thing will out handle your cars when it is set up properly, trust me. It isn't a shot at your cars, or their dyno numbers. Just the facts. Get it looked at.
I'm not trying to compare it to S65 - my least favorite car )))))))))))
Nor it is a direct head on comparacing to any of my AMGs

I doubt its a leak - typical FVD stuff sounds more like it. Car is running at 1BAR and tuned ultraconservatevly, Stock wastegates and possably stock DVs

Originally Posted by sunir
Well as a racer and driving instructor I can tell u the gt2 should be an impressive car out of the box and ive driven everything from cup cars to spec racers to open wheel cars.

As a fellow benz enthusaist I also have an sl55 Amg that is nodded and should do 10's when I get her to the dragstrip on drag radials. My gt2 and my nodded sl55 are totally two different animals in almost everyday, comparing them is not really the best index to measure relative performance. As everyone is saying here there is somehow aspects of ur gt2 that don't make sense ... It's a very raw and connected and visceral car.... Your review of it is the first of it's kind I've seen it's confusing for me as a fellow gt2 and Amg enthusiast and owner... Good luck w getting what you want out of the car

Very familiar with SLs - great cars but still has a automatic hydrolic suspension - handles almost as bad as S65 - its a great cruzer but not something you can take to the track

I'm fully agree what properly set up GT2 with Motons and all supporting mods should outhandle my W210 fully reworked E55 - this is a main reason I bought it

Just to make my point friend of mine just called to find out how do I like it.

I told him what I like it a lot but underwelmed and he reminded me what he "Told you so" than I was buying car
He is very familiar with my cars and his favorite car ever is my Black E55
(less powerfull)

He's feeling is what my bar is set very high and I would not find stock or near stock car which will fuly satisfy me and provide a significant step up

Please remember what my E55 is fully reworked - headlights and seats are probably only remaining stock parts - and a lot of work went in to redesigning suspension

Think of CLK Black Series with some upgrades

Old 10-27-2011, 08:48 PM
I'm not trying to compare it to S65 - my least favorite car )))))))))))
Nor it is a direct head on comparacing to any of my AMGs

I doubt its a leak - typical FVD stuff sounds more like it. Car is running at 1BAR and tuned ultraconservatevly, Stock wastegates and possably stock DVs

Very familiar with SLs - great cars but still has a automatic hydrolic suspension - handles almost as bad as S65 - its a great cruzer but not something you can take to the track

I'm fully agree what properly set up GT2 with Motons and all supporting mods should outhandle my W210 fully reworked E55 - this is a main reason I bought it

Just to make my point friend of mine just called to find out how do I like it.

I told him what I like it a lot but underwelmed and he reminded me what he "Told you so" than I was buying car
He is very familiar with my cars and his favorite car ever is my Black E55
(less powerfull)

He's feeling is what my bar is set very high and I would not find stock or near stock car which will fuly satisfy me and provide a significant step up

Please remember what my E55 is fully reworked - headlights and seats are probably only remaining stock parts - and a lot of work went in to redesigning suspension

Think of CLK Black Series with some upgrades
I will offer you this. An inproperly setup $20k suspension will fall short of stock in many occasions. Their is no excuse for a GT2 with Motons to have an issue with body roll. Even with stock sways. Get that car to a suspension expert and figure out what you like then.

Well, I hope you get the car to meet your expectations. Great looking car. Good luck.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:04 PM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
I defenetley do spend money on the parts and such - but why not - beats spendig them on drugs but a lot of times I will get them at cost.
wait... you get the car parts at cost? or the drugs at cost?

Old 10-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by LiNks
wait... you get the car parts at cost? or the drugs at cost?
Both

Old 10-27-2011, 10:42 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I am not very familiar with the K24/26 setup, but it sounds like a pretty laggy setup. I know the guys running the K24/18Gs are having pretty good spool and great power.
The reason most if not all k24/26s are laggy as some say is because they all come with OEM wgs running max 1 bar whereas the 18gs out of the box usually come with 1 bar springs.. go ahead and throw 1 bar actuators on a k24 and you will soon realize that the k24s are not as laggy anymore.. same principal here.. I had both I know .. so you change the intake to the turbos and you decrease the lag even more...
just my opinion...
BTW, Tomas a 6speed member came to me with 18gs on a OEM Wgs, car felt like a dog... I put on after market Wgs the car woke up... then an intake to turbos and it even got better...
SN is Samas feel free to contact him...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-28-2011, 01:29 AM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Ok ive had a couple of drinks tonight it's my bday so what can I say ... I will call bs no one else is sayin it we can only say so much. The e55 is not the gt2 period it's not even a viable comparison period. I own a 55k car m 113 engine with all the big mods it may post better et bit not mph...op you are all over the place I don't get it.... You wanna mod w no baseline... You've given the gr2 An abomination of a review and you insist On comparing without getting facts straight!

Old 10-28-2011, 03:10 AM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
i feel more stupid after I read this, all 3 pages of it. I have no clue what the owner wants or needs but I feel like we should collectively as a Pcar community take the gt2 away from him I'm sober, drinking my coffee and eating my croissant on a balcony in Paris. Ahh I want my 10 minutes back.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:44 AM
i feel more stupid after I read this, all 3 pages of it. I have no clue what the owner wants or needs but I feel like we should collectively as a Pcar community take the gt2 away from him I'm sober, drinking my coffee and eating my croissant on a balcony in Paris. Ahh I want my 10 minutes back.
Lol. That's funny's right there.

He just needs to get his car looked at and to be set straight and he will be alright. I don't suspect any conspiracies here. He is just not familiar with what the car is supposed to drive and handle like and he thinks what it is doing now is normal. He just has an incorrectly set up car.

We will know when he get's it set up because all of his AMGs will be for sale.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: GT2 showed up today - first impressions