996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GT2 showed up today - first impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 04:56 PM
LCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to behold
GT2 showed up today - first impressions

I LOVE it
I'm hooked in overall feeling of the car and composure on the road.
Interior is glorios and looks are fantastic.

I have a lot of high end cars(5 AMGs, 2 Cayen Turbo, Regular CLK Convert and very beautifuly done Infinity Qx56) and today my neighbors were flocking to my driveway in packs. Have to put scarecraw on the drivay now. Considering what I live in Great Neck, Long Island we have more 911s here then Honda Accords or Camrys . Ther is at least 6 on my small street(only one is TT) , yet everybdy was stoping by today to look at the car.

As far as driving impressions - very mixed feeling. Have not driven it on the highway yet.

Love a lot of things about it but - Not enough low end TQ and suspension will have to be beefed up and tuned - a lot!!!

Powerwise - not as bad but I'm used to driving car with between 500-1100 ft/lbs across whole range )))) - might just have to get used to it.

Suspension - chassi is amazng but suspension is softer and smother than my W220 E55(granted suspension on them was fully rebuild)

It soacks bumps very comfortably but car is too bouncy and has too much of the body roll. I would compare it to my CLK 63 which had mild suspension upgrades(KW, and controll arms and harder bushings)

So I guess harder spring rates, stiffing up sway bars, control arms and toe steer kit, solid bushing, motor mounts and 997 Trany mount were all right things to put on it ))))

Overall I'm in lovee and I know what it would be much better once I'm done with all the mods )))))))))) - Car has ton of potential and already my 2nd favorit car in the stable

I guess now you can officialy welcome me in the P-Car world - bye bye AMG addiction

Thanks to everybody on this board - you guys are great

Old 10-26-2011, 05:16 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Question So why??

So why did you buy the car I wonder if there are so many performance and "behavior" problems with the car . Did you not thoroughly test drive one of those cars before buying it??

Old 10-26-2011, 06:04 PM
HIX
HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !
2nd Favorite car in your stable? What's the first?

Old 10-26-2011, 06:08 PM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation

Originally Posted by LCatGA
I LOVE it
I'm hooked in overall feeling of the car and composure on the road.
Interior is glorios and looks are fantastic.

I have a lot of high end cars(5 AMGs, 2 Cayen Turbo, Regular CLK Convert and very beautifuly done Infinity Qx56) and today my neighbors were flocking to my driveway in packs. Have to put scarecraw on the drivay now. Considering what I live in Great Neck, Long Island we have more 911s here then Honda Accords or Camrys . Ther is at least 6 on my small street(only one is TT) , yet everybdy was stoping by today to look at the car.

As far as driving impressions - very mixed feeling. Have not driven it on the highway yet.

Love a lot of things about it but - Not enough low end TQ and suspension will have to be beefed up and tuned - a lot!!!

Powerwise - not as bad but I'm used to driving car with between 500-1100 ft/lbs across whole range )))) - might just have to get used to it.

Suspension - chassi is amazng but suspension is softer and smother than my W220 E55(granted suspension on them was fully rebuild)

It soacks bumps very comfortably but car is too bouncy and has too much of the body roll. I would compare it to my CLK 63 which had mild suspension upgrades(KW, and controll arms and harder bushings)

So I guess harder spring rates, stiffing up sway bars, control arms and toe steer kit, solid bushing, motor mounts and 997 Trany mount were all right things to put on it ))))

Overall I'm in lovee and I know what it would be much better once I'm done with all the mods )))))))))) - Car has ton of potential and already my 2nd favorit car in the stable

I guess now you can officialy welcome me in the P-Car world - bye bye AMG addiction

Thanks to everybody on this board - you guys are great
light cars dont need a very stiff suspension....like a freight train

sway bars in a gt2 are adjustable...front and rear

good tune and your gt2 could be faster that you would like it

Old 10-26-2011, 07:30 PM
tphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of light
I assume you mean W211 E55 AMG, and if you do the suspension there is really nothing spectacular, if it's harder It's not necessarily better especially since the car is so heavy.
In the S65 AMG for example the suspension is OK, not tuned or feel like a sports car, or even close.

E-Class before the current W212 generation were not very engaging to drive (IMO).

Old 10-26-2011, 07:49 PM
greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HIX
2nd Favorite car in your stable? What's the first?
i was wondering the same

Old 10-26-2011, 08:20 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Eh.. Really? I have not driven a gt2 that would not break the tires loose at will this car is called a widow maker by all club racers.. Maybe you need to ice those 20'' rims you spoke about in other threads. You speak of other cars and the work done on them, who do you use? What motor mods do you have?

Old 10-26-2011, 09:12 PM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
Pictures of the car?...I live in Great Neck also, going to keep an eye out

Old 10-26-2011, 10:48 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Tough customer. From what I have read, GT2s are very sensitive to alignment, so i think you can really dial her in with the sway bars and a professional alignment shop that knows these cars.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:16 PM
Banned
gt2urbo is infamous around these partsgt2urbo is infamous around these parts
congrats drive her like shes was meant to be driven

Old 10-26-2011, 11:33 PM
Mattyrae is infamous around these parts
Which car did you buy?

I found it, here it is:

http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/...?itemid=993481

Car has Motons and you want to change the suspension?

Last edited by Mattyrae; 10-26-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:37 PM
LCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to beholdLCatGA is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by tphss
I assume you mean W211 E55 AMG, and if you do the suspension there is really nothing spectacular, if it's harder It's not necessarily better especially since the car is so heavy.
In the S65 AMG for example the suspension is OK, not tuned or feel like a sports car, or even close.

E-Class before the current W212 generation were not very engaging to drive (IMO).
W210
There is nothing can be done to W211 suspension at all(Airmatic) - this is wy I will never own W211 E55 - even though they are very easy to make power but they are pigs who handle like cr*p

W210 have pretty good chasis which can be made to handle quite well with a goood ammount of labor of course

Mine are all set-up with KW Coilovers,, custom strut braces, custttom x-braces, control arms, bushnings, hardend motor mounts, Quafe LSDs, etc..

Power - you have to go with AM superchargers - one of mine has Kleeman v1 - which is Autorotor i belive and is very efficient - I produce more power on it with 7lbs boost than on Kleeman v2

Car with v1 has a heads port/polish/heads rased to drop compression ratio/ VRP Racing headers/custom intake/ PTE cams/82MM TB(that was a ***** - custom refabrication of SC body), v2 has Kleeman LT Headers, V55 dual intake, etc

Bouth of the cars have whole host of supporting little mods and trannies/valve bodies massaged

V1 close to 640wph in high boost, v2 is 486whp in low boost - but TQ is crazy - on v1 is over 700 lbs on wheels at 2300 RPM

v1 also has CF hood, trunck and was put on the diet

V1 carries Rotora and v2 Brembo big break kit

As you can probably imagine - my most favorite car is v1 - W210(2001) E55 with all the things(Engine, Suspension, Brakes, Transmission) prety much upgraded and most of the work beeing custom taking it much further than anything typicaly done on this cars
As you can see I'm perfectionst then it comes to the cars

Originally Posted by Mattyrae
Car has Motons and you want to change the suspension?
Originally Posted by ari
Tough customer. From what I have read, GT2s are very sensitive to alignment, so i think you can really dial her in with the sway bars and a professional alignment shop that knows these cars.

Yep - should be able to dial it in in a way I like. Might have to change spring rates though. Not planing to replace Motons whith something else - just support mods.

Car recently had full race alighment by JCM Preformance - Porsche specialty shop in Ft Lauderdale.

Sounds like it might need to be redone with stiffer springs and some suspenson upgrades.

Originally Posted by winnigt2

good tune and your gt2 could be faster that you would like it
Car already over 500whp(24/26 turbos, headers,exaust,intake, tune) and it is too slow for me )))
Used to much more area under curve

Need to get it to spull up 300-400 rpms earlier and to do 580-600 whp

Last edited by LCatGA; 10-27-2011 at 01:43 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by hroussard
So why did you buy the car I wonder if there are so many performance and "behavior" problems with the car . Did you not thoroughly test drive one of those cars before buying it??
Well - if it is currently my 2nd favorite car out of 10 - why did I also bought 8 more cars ))
It called variety

Old 10-27-2011, 12:23 AM
tphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of light
Wondering about the Cayenne Turbo, are the ones you have been reliable? How many miles did you put on them? What other AMG's do you own? Before we had a S55 AMG for a while, love the supercharger sound.

And with all those modifications to the E55 it would be interesting to see how it handles (post a picture if you have)! Almost all prev generation AMG's are not too strong on handling around bends.

Last edited by tphss; 10-27-2011 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:45 AM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Congrats!

That said, the rule is "pictures or it never happened"!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: GT2 showed up today - first impressions