996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

So I decided to paint my grills...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 11:59 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GaFFLe
Call me impatient but I had to get it done before I went to sleep. I put painters tarp under the hood covering the fenders, then closed the hood and covered the hood's top along with the driver window and the rest of the car. You can tell by the pics that the plastic wiper cover has faded and appears chalky, weathered.
This Wurth satin trim paint appears to be the exact color as the factory trim. I lifted the hood and I cannot tell where the over spray is compared to the rest of the plastic that covers the battery compartment and other reservoirs. I've got a LandRover LR3 that has a couple of trim pieces that can use this re-coating. This is an excellent way to rejuvenate your cars look. Just take care and take your time.
Wow, you spent a lot of time covering stuff up for a piece that's only held on with 4 screws!!! It only takes 2 minutes to take the piece off and guarantee no over-spray.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:05 AM
GaFFLe is just really niceGaFFLe is just really niceGaFFLe is just really niceGaFFLe is just really nice
Originally Posted by Slider
Wow, you spent a lot of time covering stuff up for a piece that's only held on with 4 screws!!! It only takes 2 minutes to take the piece off and guarantee no over-spray.
Probably so... Do you have a link for the removal of the wiper blade cover plastic? I believe it would also involve the removal of the wiper blades which are held by what appears to be a 13+mm nuts. The tarp was quick. The only time consuming part is the tape immediately along the edges of the thing being painted. Everything else is quickly draped and taped just for the sake of wide coverage and hold. I'm no expert in anything car mechanical or DIY related... just wanted to point out what guys can do to remedy the chalky plastic issue and having their cars looking weathered.

Last edited by GaFFLe; 10-29-2011 at 06:08 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:46 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Great idea looks really nice on your black tt

Old 10-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I replaced my piece of plastic because it was broken when I bought the car. There is a little cap on each side - visible from the top without opening the hood - with a screw inside. You do not have to remove the wipers at all. I didn't have instructions when I removed mine, I just removed stuff as I went. You do have to remove the two covers inside the hood. Each has one screw, and also remove the battery cover. The piece in question, also has double sided tape holding it in. Just be careful to carefully pry off and it can be reinstalled without changing the tape. The whole thing will take 5 minutes if you really go slowly and are very careful.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:08 PM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
Good job, looks nice. Fortunately mine are still black, < 18k miles on the car. The C4S splitter looks good on your car, I may have to do that, I keep scraping mine angling in and out of my sub.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:21 PM
jindotli is infamous around these parts
looks nice!