996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

So I decided to paint my grills...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 02:25 PM
GaFFLe is just really niceGaFFLe is just really niceGaFFLe is just really niceGaFFLe is just really nice
So I decided to paint my grills...

... and it doesn't look bad IMO. I went to a local body shop to get an estimate for the job. They guestimated about 6.5 hrs. of removal/re-install and 1.5 hrs. of paint work (roughly $400 to do all three grills and wiper blade area plastic). I decided to do the work myself and it turned out pretty decent.

I used Wurth plastic trim paint and just masked things off as good as possible to prevent paint overspray:

Here's the before chalky grey'ish grill...

Here's the prep work...

Here's the aftermath...

To any layperson out there attempting to do this yourself, I recommend you taking your time when masking things off. I used painters tape and painters tarp along with plenty of moving tarps to protect the body just in case paint fumes started to drift. I'm now just gonna get the body shop to paint my interior console silver along with the Nav dash trim.

Last edited by GaFFLe; 10-27-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:55 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Nicely done, subtle but clean, I like the plastic bag you shoved between the grill and the rads. Pulling the front bumper and removing the grills for paint is also fairly easy and guarentees no overspray but good work regardless.

Last edited by gearhead; 10-27-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:16 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
You painted black grills on a black car their expected color, which is black...that's fine, and looks great...it only looks wierd IMO with non-black car body color match like silver or white or what have you...I've seen it done many times and some folks seem to like it, I guess it can grow on someone

Old 10-27-2011, 03:50 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Looks very nice.

For anyone else who might want to try this, I'd highly recommend removing the bumper (takes 10 minutes), popping out the grills, and painting them away from the car. It would actually save a lot of time in masking.

Plus, you could clean out the radiators and put some mesh behind the grills before you pop them back in!

Jon

Old 10-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
Nice job! Have you thought about painting the front spoiler lip?

Old 10-27-2011, 04:07 PM
GaFFLe is just really niceGaFFLe is just really niceGaFFLe is just really niceGaFFLe is just really nice
Originally Posted by Alpha
Nice job! Have you thought about painting the front spoiler lip?
I did but I thought it would not mesh well with the other lower body trim pieces as they are also the same off-grey black'ish looking color. If I paint the front spoiler lip, I'd have to paint them all.

I will probably take the time to remove my front bumper as soon as I find the (pictured) link for removal. I do need to get the radiator area cleaned.

Last edited by GaFFLe; 10-27-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:11 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sunir
You painted black grills on a black car their expected color, which is black...that's fine, and looks great...it only looks wierd IMO with non-black car body color match like silver or white or what have you...I've seen it done many times and some folks seem to like it, I guess it can grow on someone
When I read the title of the thread I thought to myself

"I hope this is a black car"

Old 10-27-2011, 05:13 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Did you do the wiper area?
If so, do you have pictures?

I've been meaning to get that area done on mine

Old 10-27-2011, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by ant_8u
Did you do the wiper area?
If so, do you have pictures?

I've been meaning to get that area done on mine
Not yet but I may do it tomorrow. I want to see if it's easy to remove the plastic from the wiper area first. I'll be sure to post before and after pics.
Call me impatient but I had to get it done before I went to sleep. I put painters tarp under the hood covering the fenders, then closed the hood and covered the hood's top along with the driver window and the rest of the car. You can tell by the pics that the plastic wiper cover has faded and appears chalky, weathered.

After spraying 2 coats...

Plastic tarp removed...

This Wurth satin trim paint appears to be the exact color as the factory trim. I lifted the hood and I cannot tell where the over spray is compared to the rest of the plastic that covers the battery compartment and other reservoirs. I've got a LandRover LR3 that has a couple of trim pieces that can use this re-coating. This is an excellent way to rejuvenate your cars look. Just take care and take your time.

Last edited by GaFFLe; 10-27-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
I did this to my car several years ago and it still looks great. The black plastic was looking a little faded, so I sprayed it satin black. Looks perfectly detailed after every wash!

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 10-27-2011, 11:00 PM
Etahgnimusnoc is infamous around these parts
Looking good! +1

Old 10-28-2011, 12:41 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by FAST FWD
Looks very nice.

For anyone else who might want to try this, I'd highly recommend removing the bumper (takes 10 minutes), popping out the grills, and painting them away from the car. It would actually save a lot of time in masking.

Plus, you could clean out the radiators and put some mesh behind the grills before you pop them back in!

Jon
I second that.

And here is a less drastic option and it works.

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/06108.html

Old 10-28-2011, 01:56 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Nice job. A great DIY mod.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:59 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Wow gaffle....top notch buddy!

Old 10-28-2011, 05:54 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GaFFLe
I did but I thought it would not mesh well with the other lower body trim pieces as they are also the same off-grey black'ish looking color. If I paint the front spoiler lip, I'd have to paint them all.

I will probably take the time to remove my front bumper as soon as I find the (pictured) link for removal. I do need to get the radiator area cleaned.
remove all of them and paint them, its not hard and doesnt take that long, results are well worth it

and if all your trying to do is make the black look black again try blackwow first, it works very well

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So I decided to paint my grills...