996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

C4S Rear Deck Lid on Turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 09:42 PM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
C4S Rear Deck Lid on Turbo?

OK, I realize I may be in the 1/10 of 1%, maybe even much less than that, But I'd really like to loose the POS rear spoiler. My '04 has less than 18k miles and the second complete hydraulic lift system has failed and did at about 16K miles. I disassembled the ram pump assy and found broken plastic parts inside. The whole assembly is poorly engineered, overly expensive, too complicated and gimically IMHO. I machined some parts and made the spoiler in the always up position and deactivated the microswitches that give failure warnings.

The real reason is I really dont care for the look. To me the spoiler is a bit over the top as was the chrome Turbo script tail logo which is gone and replaced with a clean matte black 911 logo. I'd like the clean unobtrusive look of the spoilerless C4S rear lid and have the spoiler disappear when the car is parked.

Has anyone seen this? Thoughts or comments? BTW, I don't like the AWD either and if I keep the car I may pull the front diff and axles. I had a C2 Cab for years and liked the look better as well as the agility and light steering feel. I am am an ex motorcycle roadracer. I raced GSXRs for 8 years and I like fast and very good handling. I'm not afraid to push a car hard, quite hard in fact. I've had enough racing and don't plan to track my car. Am I nutz?

Old 10-29-2011, 09:59 PM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
It is my impression that the C4S lid will not work on your car as the air intake opening doesn't line up with the airbox intake in your car. I don't know if it can be modified to make it work or if it would mess up the car's aerodynamics, even if you install the C4S front lip spoiler also to balance it with the rear. There may be other issues that I don't know about too.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:12 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
It is possible and has been done before. Try a search, I think their was pics on here at some point. You would have to go to fenderwell intakes though.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...lector-tt.html

Last edited by dgreen78; 10-29-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:26 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
LOL I did the opposite... put a turbo decklid on my C4S

So it's definitely possible, that said I probably wouldn't do it again...
However your in luck because going from the turbo to the C4S is actually much easier (you don't have relocate your airpump or make room for the hydraulic cylinders by cutting out the right side of your airbox).

You have 2 choices;
1, replace your turbo airbox with a C4s one or...
2, take the insert/shield from the inside (bottom) of your turbo decklid and do some custom work to it make it fit on the inside (bottom) of the C4s decklid.

Just open up the decklid of both cars side by side and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Good luck!

Ps. just realized you'll probably have to get the C4S wiring harness and micro switches allowing the 2nd brakelight to function when the decklid is deployed.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:48 PM
producerjohn has much to be proud ofproducerjohn has much to be proud ofproducerjohn has much to be proud ofproducerjohn has much to be proud ofproducerjohn has much to be proud ofproducerjohn has much to be proud ofproducerjohn has much to be proud ofproducerjohn has much to be proud ofproducerjohn has much to be proud of
Oh man, I thought I was the only one. If you find something please let us know. I hate the wing on my turbo.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:30 PM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
Thanks guys, keep 'em coming.

BTW, did a search came up empty. If someone finds a like to a previous post please link it.

TIA

Old 10-31-2011, 10:07 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Yes the stock rear spoiler is a POS. It breaks all the time. However you will upset the aerodynamics of the car esp at speed. Consider the fixed wing option (like a GT2 or factory aerokit) with the larger front lip to balance things out.

Old 09-11-2023, 05:11 AM
juankimalo is infamous around these partsjuankimalo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by nick49
OK, I realize I may be in the 1/10 of 1%, maybe even much less than that, But I'd really like to loose the POS rear spoiler. My '04 has less than 18k miles and the second complete hydraulic lift system has failed and did at about 16K miles. I disassembled the ram pump assy and found broken plastic parts inside. The whole assembly is poorly engineered, overly expensive, too complicated and gimically IMHO. I machined some parts and made the spoiler in the always up position and deactivated the microswitches that give failure warnings.

The real reason is I really dont care for the look. To me the spoiler is a bit over the top as was the chrome Turbo script tail logo which is gone and replaced with a clean matte black 911 logo. I'd like the clean unobtrusive look of the spoilerless C4S rear lid and have the spoiler disappear when the car is parked.

Has anyone seen this? Thoughts or comments? BTW, I don't like the AWD either and if I keep the car I may pull the front diff and axles. I had a C2 Cab for years and liked the look better as well as the agility and light steering feel. I am am an ex motorcycle roadracer. I raced GSXRs for 8 years and I like fast and very good handling. I'm not afraid to push a car hard, quite hard in fact. I've had enough racing and don't plan to track my car. Am I nutz?

Sorry to resurrect this thread.
A friend of mine owns a 996 Turbo and he hates the rear wing aesthetic
He wants to customized his car with a 996 C4S rear engine lid
He is not a fast driver and is aware about aerodynamic , so It's not a problem

Did you finally convert your TT?

Old 11-27-2023, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by juankimalo
Sorry to resurrect this thread.
A friend of mine owns a 996 Turbo and he hates the rear wing aesthetic
He wants to customized his car with a 996 C4S rear engine lid
He is not a fast driver and is aware about aerodynamic , so It's not a problem

Did you finally convert your TT?
No I never did. If I could do it cheaply and easily I would. I took the movable wing off for a couple of years liked the look. Then put it back on with a stationary lift I made. I did a slam with KW V1 coilovers and went RWD years ago + adjustable rear sway. Light nimble steering 100% power to the rear, no more trucky feeling feeling I always disliked.