996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Coolant hose failure on track - Pic & video

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 08:05 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Coolant hose failure on track - Pic & video

Lost the left side coolant hose while on track this weekend. This is the hose from the water pump that sits right over the left rear wheel. Fortunately, I was going into the slowest corner on the track when it went.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RBOJkH0FEI

Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2011, 09:55 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
This is really starting to annoy me. Porsche did a poor job of engineering on the coolant systems reliability.

Maybe you have read the thread, but class action may need to take place for Porsche to do something.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-registry.html
My front coolant hose blew off at an Autocross not long after I got my car.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:15 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
make sure you file a complaint listed on page 4

Old 10-30-2011, 10:44 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
OP, thank god no one was behind you...or else they might have plowed into you during the spin-out.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:25 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by FAST FWD
Lost the left side coolant hose while on track this weekend. This is the hose from the water pump that sits right over the left rear wheel. Fortunately, I was going into the slowest corner on the track when it went.
Sorry to hear about this. Looks like this was a hose failure (rather than at the coupling). Is there any way to inspect the condition of the hoses -- or do they just need to be replaced at some time/mileage interval? Also, any idea if these failures are really happening more at the track than out on the street (or is it only reported more from track events). If it's happening more at the track, I'd be interested in knowing the likely cause -- higher G forces, higher RPMs, engine temps, etc....

Old 10-31-2011, 05:50 AM
Read the thread on rennlist, this is happening on the street too. Mostly 2004 GT3's into the 997 GT3's but some 01 turbos mixed in there too. Low mileage, high mileage newer and older cars.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:18 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vntperformance
OP, thank god no one was behind you...or else they might have plowed into you during the spin-out.
Actually, there were two guys fairly close behind. Fortunately, this was an experienced group, but they got caught up in the coolant dumped in the braking zone. One of them ended up in the grass, and the other one was able to stop in time. The really fortunate thing is that this is the slowest corner on the track (~50 mph). Six turns earlier I was doing 140 entering the braking zone.

Jon

Old 10-31-2011, 07:33 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Lost my coolant coupling at track two weeks ago and have only had it partially fixed. It goes back in tomorrow to finish the job. There was a car behind me that DID spin and nearly lost it. Pretty scary- and expensive!

Thanks for the link will check it out.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
This is really starting to annoy me. Porsche did a poor job of engineering on the coolant systems reliability.

Maybe you have read the thread, but class action may need to take place for Porsche to do something.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-registry.html
My front coolant hose blew off at an Autocross not long after I got my car.
Most of the posts in that thread are for the epoxied fittings blowing out, whereas mine was the hose itself splitting. There are a few of those too. I was planning to have the fittings drilled this winter (Sharkwerks solution), and maybe my tech would have told me to replace this hose when he inspected it. Didn't quite make it.

There are certainly a lot of things poorly designed in this cooling system. The really surprising thing is that they are still using those press/epoxy fittings. The replacement for the hose has an updated 997 part number, but I haven't seen the part yet.

I filed an NHTSA complaint. Thanks for the link Dez. Here it is for anyone else who might have had cooling system issues:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

Jon

Old 10-31-2011, 08:30 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
Was the hose the original or an aftermarket?

How often are people swapping their hoses out?

Stock or aftermarket hoses as a replacement?

Sorry for all the questions.

Glad no major damage to your car.

Last edited by Gunther; 10-31-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:32 AM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
Most of the posts in that thread are for the epoxied fittings blowing out, whereas mine was the hose itself splitting. There are a few of those too. I was planning to have the fittings drilled this winter (Sharkwerks solution), and maybe my tech would have told me to replace this hose when he inspected it. Didn't quite make it.

There are certainly a lot of things poorly designed in this cooling system. The really surprising thing is that they are still using those press/epoxy fittings. The replacement for the hose has an updated 997 part number, but I haven't seen the part yet.

I filed an NHTSA complaint. Thanks for the link Dez. Here it is for anyone else who might have had cooling system issues:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

Jon
This was one of the hoses Kevin recommended I change during my 30k service. The new PN is 997-106-502-00.

There were 2 others that he recommended, I have a thread on Rennlist that lists the other two.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...ferrerid=77464

Last edited by PAULUNM; 10-31-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:48 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RBOJkH0FEI
omg, what a dramatic video clip! Glad no-one was hurt.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:45 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Luck was on your side Jon. Not only was it the slowest corner but probably the last event for the year. Now you have the winter to sort it out. Glad you didn't hit anything.

I had my tech change a bunch of hoses while the other mods were being done, along with welding all the coolant fittings. Hopefully my cooling system is taken care of.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by landjet
Luck was on your side Jon. Not only was it the slowest corner but probably the last event for the year. Now you have the winter to sort it out. Glad you didn't hit anything.

I had my tech change a bunch of hoses while the other mods were being done, along with welding all the coolant fittings. Hopefully my cooling system is taken care of.
Good idea to take those precautions. You should be good to go - hope so!!

Jon

Old 10-31-2011, 03:06 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
FAST FWD,
Out of curiosity have you ever lowered you motor via the 2 rear mounts (to do DVs, plugs or the like)?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Coolant hose failure on track - Pic & video