996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Hard Intake Piping Vs Soft Intake Piping?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 11:17 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Hard Intake Piping Vs Soft Intake Piping?

Pros and Cons of each please

What are the good, bad, and ugly of each option available to us?

Old 10-31-2011, 12:56 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Ant,

IMO, hard Piping has virtually no drawbacks, unless it is so thin that it can wear through easily with extended engine vibration. The plastic we use is 1/4" thick and designed not to crack in extreme cold or melt with extreme heat. It is virtually indestructable and offers a very high degree of safety. When I say safety - a failure of this pipe results in dirt and debris being sucked into your turbos and subsequently the motor, so it is not an area to be taken lightly. Aluminum is a thin, soft metal and retains heat, so there are some considerations with the various aluminum designs. Soft hose, another method offered, runs the risk of puncture by road debris, or premature wear as compared to some of the other thicker, stronger materials. The good is that a well designed hard pipe kit will last the life of the vehicle without incident. The bad and the ugly is a puncture or wear through point resulting in a stone, sand or other debris being sucked into your motor - before you even know you have a breach of the pipe. This type of failure can and has caused catastophic damage in cars with less than ideal plumbing in this area and can go undetected for quite some time, as a lot of the area is impossible to inspect without removing the motor or the pipe, which does not happen often in most cases.

Years ago when I was researching kits for own car, I was faced with the soft vs. hard pipe decision. I learned at that time of some failures of various soft or thin pipe kits on the market and quickly decided to use the same thick pipe we offer on our kit today. It has been on my car for 6 years and approx. 60,000 miles. In that time, I have had occasion to lower my motor twice, once as recently as last year. The pipe showed some signs of scuffing behind the motor, but was not really damaged at all - just rub marks. I feel certain that If I had used a softer or thinner material, I probably would have worn through it with that type of mileage and use. The thick pipe I use (and offer on our kits) gives me complete peace of mind and total confidence that everything is OK back there, for the life of the vehicle. It is considerably thicker and larger than the OEM plastic it replaces and is truly an upgrade in every sense of the word!

Here is cross section picture of the 1/4" thick plastic pipe we use:

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 10-31-2011 at 01:27 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:10 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
John is dead on.

Soft piping will collapse under boost. Hard piping is harder to install but is the only way to go, imo.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:44 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Yes,I agree with John also...Some soft piping does not look smooth on the inside,accordian style,which would hinder flow also....IMO

Old 10-31-2011, 07:52 AM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
To be clear(er).....

My 'soft' piping, I meant reinforced flexible piping
It's smooth on the inside and cannot collapse

Old 10-31-2011, 07:57 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ant_8u
To be clear(er).....

My 'soft' piping, I meant reinforced flexible piping
It's smooth on the inside and cannot collapse
How is it reinforced?

If there is anything holding it open from the inside, it could come loose and be ingested by the turbo.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:01 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
i use hard pipes in my car . companies that offer soft piping use special stuff that is designed for intense vacuum. im not going to comment on the price charged for soft piping given that i know how much it costs per foot lol

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 10-31-2011, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by MBailey
How is it reinforced?

If there is anything holding it open from the inside, it could come loose and be ingested by the turbo.
Reinforcement is on the exterior of the pipe

http://www.javelinirrigation.co.uk/h...uctionhose.htm

www.sfsperformance.co.uk/wire_reinforced.asp

Old 10-31-2011, 09:14 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
IMO, to install and test something like this on your car, hoping you do not have any rub points that will eventually wear through, or other weak links...you're playing with fire...the hard pipes are firm and pre-shaped to follow a specific path through some very close tolerance suspension parts that would wear that hose through in no time, if allowed to come in contact with it.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 10-31-2011, 10:00 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MBailey
John is dead on.

Soft piping will collapse under boost. Hard piping is harder to install but is the only way to go, imo.
The one we use has a metal ring in it. It will never collapse...
advantage is that you don't have to drop the motor... and you don't have to go up and down with the motor a few times to line everything up like you do with the hard piping... It may seem easy to install but its hard. We sell the hard piping kit too but I tend to stir clients towards the bendable if they do not have an experienced mechanic in after market installs...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL