996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

front strut bearing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 02:39 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 911sccab
Hi all, I know these are old posts, but did you ever resolve the "clicking" noise? What caused it? I have a 2010 997.2 turbo, picked it up with 4000 miles on the clock about 6 months ago. Makes a loud click or pop when you turn the wheel from stop to stop about 45 degrees from hitting the stop. Everyone said it was the springs reseating, but had it in to my dealer for other work and they said that it was not normal, but can't find where it's comming from. Still working on it. Car has 10,000 miles on it now and it's driving me crazy. I think it's the bearings.

Thanks for any input!
strut bearings ( as noted above ) going/gone bad will make that noise ( popping/creaking ) on hard lock turning... as will lowering springs when they bind?

but cross post in the 997 turbo section. you may get more accurate replies.

Old 03-21-2015, 02:53 PM
911sccab is a name known to all911sccab is a name known to all911sccab is a name known to all911sccab is a name known to all911sccab is a name known to all911sccab is a name known to all
Thanks, I'll do.

Old 09-10-2016, 10:01 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hams996TT
Kiet,

Once you have the strut out of the car, it's simply a matter of removing the top nut from the strut, which is a 22 or 24mm I believe? - It's been a while.

Once you've removed the nut, the strut top, spring, dust boot and all will separate allowing you to break down the strut. The actual strut bearing is located in the strut top (camber plate if you will).

Here is the diagram of the strut and what you're looking for:

The actual strut bearing:

This is a picture of my old H&R's in the upright:

I hope this helps.

Chris.
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but... I've had a pretty bad "clunk" start in the front driver's side of my car. I have been assuming it was the upper mount and confirmed it tonight. The shaft and nut coming up in the middle of the mount are in a completely different place than on the passenger side and when I put a wrench on it the thing moves ALL over the place - not good! Perhaps my days of hanging offramps at triple the rated speed are down for a bit?

Trying to figure out what exactly to have replaced. In the diagram above is it simply number 11? That seems way to easy!

I was thinking I needed #14 in this diagram? What else might I need? I would like to have the parts on hand when I take the car in for alignment so I"m not paying the shop's pricing for parts

Edit: H&R Street Coilovers on my car and what appear to be stock top mounts.

Last edited by BLKMGK; 09-10-2016 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:52 AM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Pondering this, how much harshness and NVH would I pickup with the Elephant monoballs designed for the stock plates? I wouldn't mind a little more road feel but this is almost 100% a street car if I ignore the Numeric shifter cables ;-)

Old 09-11-2016, 10:44 PM
Thinking about this more, likely going to stick to stock pieces. These lasted 50K miles before breaking down and ending up with a loud vibrating car\wheel would just suck! So, I still need some help on what parts to swap out, what parts break? There's an expensive piece, #12, that looks to have bonded rubber? If so yuck that's got to go - Amazon is nearly the cheapest for it BTW lol

Edit: Bah never mind, Google had Amazon competitive but going straight to their site it's over $300 apiece - F that noise!

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/99634301504/

Last edited by BLKMGK; 09-11-2016 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:26 AM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
You actually need number 12 and I would go ahead an replace number 11 as well (if you're going back stock).

I installed the Elephant racing monoballs and would do it again. No issues with NVH and my car is 100% a daily driver. You only need number 11 if your using the Elephant racing monoballs.

Later, Steve

Old 09-12-2016, 05:11 PM
Man, this is tough! The Elephant pieces are actually cheaper than doing the stock rubber pieces. How are they retained? Were they hard to install? I keep waffling back and forth on this. I don't "need" them for the I do but I do tend to hang off ramps at high speed and corner hard. This isn't something I couldn't reverse either. I'm about to swap out the rear LCA\toe links and eliminate some rubber there too but not up front.... Really no harshness or NVH?

It's like there's a devil on one shoulder that says do it! An angel sits on the other telling me I don't need it lol. I do have camber plates on my Subaru RSTi and don't notice them much but I'm trying hard not to compromise this car much further - semisolid engine mounts are still on the list lol. Argh! Need to do this soon though, can't knee driving it this way

Old 09-13-2016, 12:37 PM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
Just do it. The stock part is definitely not up to handling the load. Who know how long the rubber has been flexing and compromising your alignment.

Here's my how to on page three of this thread.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...dations-3.html

Later, Steve

Old 09-13-2016, 12:49 PM
Ha, I'd been looking all over trying to find a documented install! Thanks! I may try and find a second set of worn plates to convert to speed the swap as I'm daily driving the car right now. I need to contact\find a local shop about doing an alignment and some suspension pieces in back, I'll try to gauge their willingness to do these too and save me trouble.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:25 PM
Anyone got a set of used up top mounts? Prepping before swap would be easier but everything out there is new and NOT cheap lol.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:48 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Another thing to consider when it comes to creaking in the front suspension. If you lower your car significantly, you will want to loosen then inner control arm nuts and retension the suspension accounting for the lowered ride height. What happens is the rubber for the inner control arm bushing is locked in position based on stock ride height. When you lower the car basically the control arms are in a constant state of twist and can pull away from the metal causing a creaking noise. So you have to tighten with suspension loaded. Most alignment shops do this in the rears anyways because of the alignment rack setup. The front control arms are usually the worse because the front inner control arm bolt is not touched during alignment and is usually left tensioned to stock suspension ride height loading and is not corrected until the arms are replaced for early failure.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:56 AM
2002Chris996 is infamous around these parts
I did this job with out removing ball joints. Just disconnected the drive shaft to wheel hub.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:44 AM
ChrisG997 is infamous around these parts
Hello, I'm new to the community and still learning the ropes. From what I've read I believe I have the same if not similar problem with my passenger strut. It seems to make a clicking sound as I try to turn while stopped or slow speeds. I've got a 06 Carrara 4 38,900 miles on it. I attached a few photos. My question is, which part is needed to correct the problem and if it's a dyi

type of fix. I'm fairly mechanically inclined and have the tools.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:57 PM
I will take a WAG based upon what I'm seeing with my car - top strut mount #13. I was hearing a clunk from mine, remove the cap, and find I can move it a good bit with a wrench. The pic appears to show your's having failed too only from the bottom. Considering cost to replace I'm going with Elephant monoballs but don't yet have them installed as my car has been down. Should be done by mid November so I'll be able to provide feedback.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:52 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
blkmgk, look forward to your feedback on that! I' thinking about the same move.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: front strut bearing