996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What does it take to get to 200 mph top speed in a 996 Twin Turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 11:29 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by STEVE KOJASEVIC
i have k24s, rwd, my car is SLAMMED.
i hit 202 CONFORTABLY on jones beach. my car makes ~500rwhp.

if memory serves right, this was on a 315 michelin.
i run 305 30's now, so it will probably be good for another ~8mph , right tim ?
Depends on what diameter you are going from...A smaller dia. tire will hurt top end and a bigger dia. tire will help the top end mph...Like a slight gear ratio change....My rears are about 1'' larger dia. then stock,285/35/18-25.9'' and fronts 235/40/18-25.4''....So,I am acutally going faster then what the speedo reading would be with stock dia. tires.....

Old 11-08-2011, 11:32 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bmoores
That wind was brutal. That was a good weekend though.

If we are talking running 200mph with endless road you can do it with a flash most likely. I thought I saw you ask about doing so in the standing mile ..........
No,never mentioned in a standing mile.....Maybe if I had Meth/race fuel with more boost and a tail wind...lol...

Old 11-08-2011, 11:34 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Meeyatch1
To clarify, I want to be able to reach 200 mph at the Texas Mile......

I was referring to this post.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:43 AM
I was referring to this post.

Thread says that...Sorry...Close enough..lol..

Old 11-08-2011, 11:47 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnspeed

Thread says..
It sure does. But the gentleman who started the thread restated his query in subsequent posts. I've been posting here for 8 years and there has been little question or debate that a simple flash would get you too 200mph on an open stretch of highway. Many people indicated that initially and the OP restated his query to specify "in a mile" ...........

Old 11-08-2011, 11:54 AM
It sure does. But the gentleman who started the thread restated his query in subsequent posts. I've been posting here for 8 years and there has been little question or debate that a simple flash would get you too 200mph on an open stretch of highway. Many people indicated that initially and the OP restated his query to specify "in a mile" ...........
You are right now that I did look at all the posts after that...See,sometimes we all miss what else was posted after the thread....Its all good....

Old 11-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Etahgnimusnoc
So what your saying is our gearing runs out right around 200mph/320kmh?

I also had a question (not to hijack) which turbos would get you to 200 mph in the Texas mile?I have stock k24s and would love to be able to just change out the compressor wheel to achieve this, or is that not reasonable?
No what I am saying is that at 6,750 rpm the rev limiter kicks in whatever your bhp and stops you reaching true 200 mph. Depending on what true speed is (let’s say 190 mph) by raising the limiter by 500 rpm you gain another 12 mph and you are just good to go – by 2mph. (true that is). My rev limiter is stock and I pull 203 mph regularly according to the speedo.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:05 PM
Etahgnimusnoc is infamous around these parts
No,never mentioned in a standing mile.....Maybe if I had Meth/race fuel with more boost and a tail wind...lol...
I also mentioned it just in passing (again not to hijack) because it seemed like the main question was answered (as yall said).

Going 200mph+ in standing mile/Texas Mile may take more than I am will to put into my car

Thanks gentlemen, sorry for the confusion.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Etahgnimusnoc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Terminator
No what I am saying is that at 6,750 rpm the rev limiter kicks in whatever your bhp and stops you reaching true 200 mph. Depending on what true speed is (let’s say 190 mph) by raising the limiter by 500 rpm you gain another 12 mph and you are just good to go – by 2mph. (true that is). My rev limiter is stock and I pull 203 mph regularly according to the speedo.
Thank you thank you! That makes much more sense

Old 11-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ttboost
Having had my 996 turbo to the Mile at almost 200, I would NEVER consider going over 150mph with stock suspension...
Yeah stock is a bit of a problem, lots of floating. However pss10's and you are good to go. Car is solid but I worry about other things, tyres, birds etc.

Attached Images   
Old 11-08-2011, 01:35 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Terminator
Yeah stock is a bit of a problem, lots of floating. However pss10's and you are good to go. Car is solid but I worry about other things, tyres, birds etc.
Yeah, fortunately I came to this realization before I went to the Mile and put some PSS9's on...I found out how bad the stock coileovers are out on the highway doing 60-130's in the middle of the night and couldn't stay in my own lane!

Old 11-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Hi,There is no doubt in my mind that at these power levels that you do need to raise the rev limiter....It made a noticably difference when I went with my old tuner's 7,000 rpm limit to my new tuners 7400 RPM limit...Just for example,,I picked MPH up and was still pulling to redline in each gear,went from around 172mph to 181mph in 5th alone...

Old 11-08-2011, 03:53 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Hi,There is no doubt in my mind that at these power levels that you do need to raise the rev limiter....It made a noticably difference when I went with my old tuner's 7,000 rpm limit to my new tuners 7400 RPM limit...Just for example,,I picked MPH up and was still pulling to redline in each gear,went from around 172mph to 181mph in 5th alone...

Not to state the obvious , but it's likely that you WOULD have noticed a difference in your old tune IF your old tuner raised your rev limit to 7400, which he probably would not, because most of these cars (with stock cams) do NOT make power past 7000rpms and fortunately your old tuner knows that your stock lifters will eventually come apart over 7000rpm...

Old 11-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Stock size rims and tires are also a help. Less friction.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by ttboost
Not to state the obvious , but it's likely that you WOULD have noticed a difference in your old tune IF your old tuner raised your rev limit to 7400, which he probably would not, because most of these cars (with stock cams) do NOT make power past 7000rpms and fortunately your old tuner knows that your stock lifters will eventually come apart over 7000rpm...
Hi,,I hate to say that you are wrong BUT I am SORRY to say that you are.....BECAUSE...My old EPL tune dropped and kept dropping after 6200RPM, where as my new Protomotive tune actually started to rise then AND keep going up all the way to redline where I made my peak HP also...There was almost a 60 HP difference between the 2 at redline...The sheet comparision is on another thread....That upper end HP makes a big difference in pulling power.....Also Todd has had no problems with that redline with his tunes,,as he has built many motors....Just my results for your info....

Last edited by johnspeed; 11-08-2011 at 04:55 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What does it take to get to 200 mph top speed in a 996 Twin Turbo?