996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Question on Dension iPod adapter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 12:50 AM
jayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to behold
Question on Dension iPod adapter

I have the Gateway 500 on my 2003 TT with CDR23 head unit (no nav, no PCM). It plays music, but the problem is with selecting albums. Because the CDR23 has no text capabilities with the Dension, you must select the album, etc., on the iPod or iPhone itself. But when I plug in the iPhone, the display on the phone switches to a white screen that says "Accessory connected"--thus, no way to select songs. So the only way to select a song is to unplug the phone, select the different album or song, then reconnect it.

My understanding is this setting is set by going to "disk 6" and then selecting a "track" that corresponds to the source. You then select Track 2 for "iPod UI". But I cannot figure out how to _apply_ the setting. The instructions note pressing and holding the fast forward button, but that does not seem to work.

Question #2-How do you toggle between shuffle on/off mode? It seems to be somehow related to the "RP" button on the head unit, but it does't seem to work consistently. Sometimes it plays songs in order and other times it shuffles.

Can anyone help me sort this out?

Attached Images  
Old 11-06-2011, 06:56 AM
dog4delta is infamous around these partsdog4delta is infamous around these parts
I have the same set up on my '03 Turbo. I had some issues as well when I initially installed the unit about 2 years ago, but for the most part once I got the set up correct it has been working well.

My car did not have the 6-disc changer in it, so if you did not have one, you have to have your car reprogrammed with a PWIS so it "thinks" you have the 6-disc changer installed. This was the first stumbling block I ran into.

I have several iPods, as well as an iPhone 3GS, and the Denison works with all of my devices. However, if I plug the iPhone into the Denison I get an error message on the iPhone saying something to the effect that "this accessory is not supported." I just ignore the message and it still works.

I found some brief notes that I took, and as it has been about 2 years now, I really can't remember exactly how the button sequence works. However, this is what I wrote down:

Gateway: D6, T3; press & hold FF for 2 to 3 seconds
iPod: D6, T2; press & hold FF for 2 to 3 seconds

Again, I don't remember what exactly I was looking for when setting the Denison up, but these notes were the key to getting it working properly.

I can select to go to the next or previous track by turning the right CDR23 **** one click in either direction (just like it works for a CD). I'm not really sure of the RP issue, as I typically leave my iPod on shuffle anyway. My guess is that if you have shuffle enabled on your iPod, that the RP option will have no effect. If you don't have shuffle enabled, then perhaps RP will give you random play.

One last note; once you get it set up properly, your iPod / iPhone display screen should work just like it does if not plugged into the Denison and display your music selection, album artwork, etc.

Hope some of that helps. If not, I'd give Eric a call at BumperPlugs.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:58 AM
jayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to behold
Thanks dog4delta. My car doesn't have the CD changer, and the previous owner noted having to take the car to the dealer to program it to make it think it does.

It seems like I'm trying to do the same as the steps you noted, but not succeeding for some reason. When you configure the iPod mode, do you do it with the device connected or not?

Here is what I'm doing, shown in the pics below:
1-Press CD button and select disk 6, navigate to Track 2
2-In order to enable to >> button, you have to hit the MENUE button to switch the display
3-Hold the >> button for a few seconds (I've tried many different lengths of time)!

Yet, on the iPod, I still only see the locked Dension screen and cannot navigate through the music library.

Attached Images    
Old 11-06-2011, 12:05 PM
dog4delta is infamous around these partsdog4delta is infamous around these parts
It would appear that your car is programmed for the 6-disc changer as you can select CD "6." Just to make sure, when you push the CD button on the CDR23 when you first turn it on, it should show "CDC" vice just "CD."

If I recall correctly, the two "steps" I wrote about earlier determine whether you want to use the Dension in conjunction with the Porsche PCM head unit to control your iPod ("Gateway User Interface"), or whether you want to use the iPod itself to control your music selection (iPod UI). Since you don't have the PCM unit (I don't either), you have to set the Dension up to use the iPod interface. I think you're attempting to do it correctly (D6, T2) but don't really know what the reason is it does not seem to be working for you. As I recall (and again, it was a couple of years ago now), my iPod displayed the same thing yours does until I got the UI properly set up. Once I did get it set up properly, the iPod display should function as normal, and you can use it to control your music. I did have another note scribbled down that said "may be backwards" in terms of setting up the UI. Not sure why I wrote that down, but give the D6, T3 set up a try and see if that works . . .

I tend to recall having to hold the FF button down for longer than the 2 - 3 seconds specified. I don't recall whether I had the iPod connected at the time or not. I guess if you're not having any luck with it connected, give it a try while disconnected and try it again. I know I kept my notes for a reason, and if I had had to use any more steps that the ones I wrote down, I would have more to offer.

The only other thing that may be wrong is the setting of the DIP switches on the side of the Dension unit itself. If you have the direction sheet, I have mine set up for an "Installation Type 2a" with the switches shown as in the "CDR" depiction.

Good luck,

Bill