996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT with 96k miles and modifications...opinions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 11:22 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Volder
Ok, PM me when you find out. I'm in the market for a tastefully-modded-well-documented-but-not-over-priced-996tt. If those even exist anymore...
Well I know the car I saw was leak free when after I fixed it... we did ICs, injectors,intake to turbos, 18gs, exhaust, tune and logged... So I know its right... and thats really hard to find because most of these cars out there have never been even pressure tested... BTW, it did come to me with after market hose kit that I had to take off because the Hoses leaked at the IC connections...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 11-25-2011, 11:24 PM
Volder is infamous around these parts
Top notch. Sounds good.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Meeyatch1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Turbo
I agree with what others have said. Mileage should not be a huge concern if you know the car has been well taken care of and comes with a full set of service records that can add some comfort. I originally wanted a 996tt with under 30k miles but found mine a couple years ago with just under 50k miles and had a full set of service records and the car was spotless and a great price. PPI checked out so I couldn't pass it up. There is a great thread on Rennlist about a guy with 300k on his 996tt with just regular maintenance which is pretty amazing and makes me feel like I'll have many years of enjoyment ahead of me. I would think this car could be had for high $20s or so. Just remember that mods don't add value and the mods that are on that car are pretty basic. If your goal is 200 miles per hour at the texas mile, you are going to have to spend a bunch more money on mods. You would be better off finding a car that is already set up with a ton of mods since those mods only add value to certain buyers and only add to the value at cents on the dollar.
The seller is set on $32,500. The kicker is that he has almost no service history for the car. So the combination of almost 100,000 miles, no real service history, and a relatively high price for a car within those parameters, means I will be passing and look for something else. If he would take $27k I thought that would be more fair so that I could do any outstanding maintenance and make sure everything is up to date since there is no proof of anything having been done.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:50 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Meeyatch1
The seller is set on $32,500. The kicker is that he has almost no service history for the car. So the combination of almost 100,000 miles, no real service history, and a relatively high price for a car within those parameters, means I will be passing and look for something else. If he would take $27k I thought that would be more fair so that I could do any outstanding maintenance and make sure everything is up to date since there is no proof of anything having been done.
Sometimes the carfax will reveal when the car has been into a dealer and sometimes even a brief description of the work performed. Might find smth there.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
No service history? Walk away. I mean who doesn't keep service history on a 911 turbo? Otherwise, if you are looking around mileage really isn't a problem on a well maintained specimen tuned or not. Just buy from someone who cared. Also, it is not true that you needn't pay for tuning. It depends, if you want a stock car then tune might be irrelevant to you but it sure is nice if someone did it "properly" for you for a relatively low cost difference.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:43 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Agreed, if it hasn't got service history I'd walk away

I was interested in a Ducati the other day
I was told it didn't have service history but that it was well maintained

When I checked it out it has all kinds of problems

So, regardless of what they tell you about maintenance, if they can't prove it, don't believe them - They only want your money and will say what is necessary to get it

No history = no purchase