996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT with 96k miles and modifications...opinions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 06:12 PM
Meeyatch1 is infamous around these parts
996TT with 96k miles and modifications...opinions?

So, I am trying to find my new project car for the run at 200 mph for the Texas Mile next year, and was not looking for a car with anything over 50k miles, but this one came up and looks stunning....but it has 96k miles. It is a 2001 996TT with the following modifications:

K24 TURBOS
EVO HEADERS
DIVERTER VALVES
INTAKE W/ HITACHI MAF
SOFTWARE 1.0 BAR
FVD MAXFLO EXHAUST
X50 QUAD TIPS
H&R LOWERING SPRINGS
TECHART 15MM REAR WHEEL SPACER
HRE 595R 3 PIECE WHEELS 18X9/18X11.5
K40 INTEGRATED RADAR/LASER DETECTOR

Recent Service: less than 2,000 miles ago ** GT2 Clutch Kit ** Clutch Accumulator ** Both front CV axles ** Spark Plugs ** 997 Coil packs ** Hitachi MAF **

The only reason I am even considering it because it comes with tons of parts, and is priced to where I would not mind the mileage, and could conceivably do any and all maintenance and updated that may be needed to make it tip top. Plus, it has the full carbon fiber interior that I really want.

Any ideas? Is paying an extra $10,000 for a car with half the mileage a better idea, or if this car passes a PPI should I just jump in and not care?

Old 11-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
I would recommend a PPI although its no guarantee to the actual condition.

I would also do a leak down and compression.

Dont be afraid of mileage- I have clients with cars that are in the 100k range the cars run better than cars with half that mileage. Why? Because its the maintenance that matters and how the car was driven and not just mileage the really matters.

Good luck!

Old 11-13-2011, 12:20 PM
Anyone else? Owner says the car does NOT have the 2nd gear pop out or rear wing issue. Am I missing anything else?

Old 11-13-2011, 04:48 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Honestly, I wouldn't pay any extra for those mods/parts

I'd be more interested in the OEM options spec, they're more important to me
The aftermarket parts are easy to add as and when needed/wanted

I'd say find a nicely spec'd car that's been well maintained and look at the mods as a secondary factor..........Unless you're planning on buying something like Todd just has, in which case you'll save a fortune in parts

Old 11-13-2011, 04:51 PM
DeanOU is a jewel in the roughDeanOU is a jewel in the roughDeanOU is a jewel in the rough
Sorry, I don't follow.

Doesn't the "GT2 clutch kit" get rid of the clutch accumulator?

Old 11-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by DeanOU
Sorry, I don't follow.

I do not know. Admittedly, I am not up on the technical parts of this car. Hence why I am asking the assistance of the nice folks on this forum.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:46 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
My understanding is it's just the actuation of the clutch which is different

Pressure plate, etc are the same on Turbo & GT2

So, yes, I'd say they've done the slave and accumulator mod

Old 11-14-2011, 01:23 AM
tphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by DeanOU
Sorry, I don't follow.

Yes it's supposed to, the clutch on a GT2 doesn't have an accumulator.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
If the ppi checks out and the price is right, I would not hesitate. I am close to 90k on my car, and it has had a flash/exhaust since about 30k miles. No problems at all, and frankly, I would not trade my car for a car with half the mileage, since I know mine has been maintained. The interior and exterior wear on my car (cosmetically) is so minimal you would think my car has less than 10k miles (I'm not kidding). The point is, its all about how the car was taken care of. I have driven turbos with 35k miles that felt awful, creaked and cracked, had dry, worn out leather, and so many dings you would think it had 145k miles. So, for me at least, mileage is never a proxy for condition, and I think of mileage only as an important factor when it comes to resale values/options. Good luck.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:29 AM
So I am really at a bit of a loss, because I am seeing 50k mile 996TTs on the Internet for between $34k - $39k which are either totally stock, or maybe with a few minor modifications. The owner of the car with 96k miles listed above is asking $33,900. Assuming it passes a PPI, what is a fair price? I am not looking to rob the guy, but I also do not want to overpay. I want a fair deal for both parties, but cannot help but think that an '01 996TT with almost 100,000 miles should be a $28k car when I can pay mid $30s for a car with half the mileage.

Any input on if I am off base is appreciated.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
I agree with what others have said. Mileage should not be a huge concern if you know the car has been well taken care of and comes with a full set of service records that can add some comfort. I originally wanted a 996tt with under 30k miles but found mine a couple years ago with just under 50k miles and had a full set of service records and the car was spotless and a great price. PPI checked out so I couldn't pass it up. There is a great thread on Rennlist about a guy with 300k on his 996tt with just regular maintenance which is pretty amazing and makes me feel like I'll have many years of enjoyment ahead of me. I would think this car could be had for high $20s or so. Just remember that mods don't add value and the mods that are on that car are pretty basic. If your goal is 200 miles per hour at the texas mile, you are going to have to spend a bunch more money on mods. You would be better off finding a car that is already set up with a ton of mods since those mods only add value to certain buyers and only add to the value at cents on the dollar.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
One of my clients is looking to sell his... he has a good looking one and only $50K miles... Yellow... Body kit etc...
we did a decent size tuning kit for it... k24 hybrids turbos, injectors, intake to turbos, has a clutch, exhaust, etc... We pressure tested and fixed all the issues so I know its good... runs strong...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 11-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Volder is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
One of my clients is looking to sell his... he has a good looking one and only $50K miles... Yellow... Body kit etc...
we did a decent size tuning kit for it... k24 hybrids turbos, injectors, intake to turbos, has a clutch, exhaust, etc... We pressure tested and fixed all the issues so I know its good... runs strong...
markski
What's he asking for that one?

Old 11-25-2011, 10:53 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Volder
What's he asking for that one?
Not sure Ill ask..

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 11-25-2011, 10:58 PM
Volder is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
Not sure Ill ask..
Ok, PM me when you find out. I'm in the market for a tastefully-modded-well-documented-but-not-over-priced-996tt. If those even exist anymore...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996TT with 96k miles and modifications...opinions?