996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Squealing Noise While Decelerating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 05:46 PM
uschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant future
Squealing Noise While Decelerating

Hi guys,
Lately I've noticed a slightly high pitched squealing noise during decelerating at low speeds with the car in gear. When I press the clutch preparing to stop, the squeal immediately stops. It may be doing this at higher speeds, but the background noise could be covering it up. At first I was thinking serpentine belt or tensioner, but am thinking something with the clutch. The car is a 2005 TTS with 20,000 miles. Clutch feels fine, and I don’t beat on it either. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Page is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of light
Does this sound like the issue you are having..

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...eleration.html

Old 11-15-2011, 07:07 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by uschoice
Hi guys,
Lately I've noticed a slightly high pitched squealing noise during decelerating at low speeds with the car in gear. When I press the clutch preparing to stop, the squeal immediately stops. It may be doing this at higher speeds, but the background noise could be covering it up. At first I was thinking serpentine belt or tensioner, but am thinking something with the clutch. The car is a 2005 TTS with 20,000 miles. Clutch feels fine, and I don’t beat on it either. Any suggestions? Thanks.

My 03 Turbo makes the same noise and it goes away when I depress the clutch pedal. The noise has gone down in volume since the weather here has turned a bit cooler.

The info at the link Page supplied I think covers it.

In case you didn't find the nugget of gold in the posts I think the cause is a power steering hydraulic system valve vibrating.

The tech told me this was the cause.

He told me the fix is to replace the power steering tank which renews the noisy valve.

The valve is not sold separately but the tech told me that if I buy the tank -- the new tank comes with the valve -- he'll remove the old valve and replace it with the new valve, and save me some labor in skipping the tank R&R.

However, I priced the tank and it is around $1000. Ouch.

When I balked at this price he said I can continue to drive the car. If the noise gets worse then I'll have it dealt with. But even in hot weather the noise is not bad and it goes way when I depress the clutch pedal which giving the driving conditions under which the noise appears this clutch pedal depress happens quite soon so the noise is not present but for only a very brief time.

Of course all of the above assumes that there is no signs of any fluid leaking from either the power steering fluid reservior or the clutch reservior under the panel in the front trunk area and both of these reserviors have the proper amount of fluid in them.

I mention the fluid leak because a few months ago the clutch accumulator on my car failed then a few days later the clutch slave cylinder went bad which resulted in brake power boost fluid leaking from the reservior under the plastic panel under the front trunk.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:22 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by uschoice
Any suggestions? Thanks.
i think you're being pointed in the right direction with the PS reservoir/valve noise. it's mostly an annoyance issue, unlike the well known accumulator/slave stuff which is much nastier and should be remedied asap. we just think it's clutch related since it goes away when the clutch is engaged. the shared pentosin system works until it sucks.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:31 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Your problem is the PS reservoir and valve. Go with the 997 parts. I had to do this and have had no problem since.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:22 PM
uschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant future
My thanks to you guys! I'll look into this. This is my first P-car and I'm not fully familiar with it's particulars yet. Do you know what the cost of parts would run, and is it a DIY project? I've done my own spark plug and inter-cooler change so far.
Regards,
David