996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Just drove a 996 GT3...very surprised at my reaction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 03:40 PM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
Just drove a 996 GT3...very surprised at my reaction

So, the recent "Am I nuts" thread where the poster says he misses and in some ways prefers a boxster s to his turbo got me thinking. I too loved my boxster s, as it was just so fun and pure to drive, even though not terribly fast. So I started thinking that if I'm waxing nostalgic for my old 986, I'd probably absolutely fall in love with a 996 gt3. I drove one many years ago, but thought I'd give it another go to see what I thought.

Well, even though I really value much more than just raw power and spee, and that things like "feel" and throttle response are also really important to me, I can honestly say I love my turbo even more now. The gt3, while it felt great, just didn't really do anything for me, especially now that I'm rocking a switzer exhaust, fvd pss9's, and rs motor mounts. Honestly, I was expecting to just fall in love with the n/a nature of the gt3 engine, but I didn't. Not even close. When I crawled back in my car it felt like an absolute rocket. And it felt so planted, smooth, sure-footed, and capable, even at 89k miles! Maybe the car I drove had some issues (it had 18k miles on the clock), but I just don't think I could live with the 280 ft-lbs of torque for my "fun" car (and this is coming from a guy who daily drives an e36 m3!).

Anyway, just thought I would share my thoughts and my new-found appreciation for the 996 turbo. I think that we just get spoiled and so accustomed to the power and all-round performance capabilities of these cars that we sometimes forget just how truly special they are. I know I did, and all it took was a drive in a gt3 to remind me!

Old 11-15-2011, 04:28 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
I appreciate your impressions on the 996 GT3. I too have considered that I would like the NA power delivery better than a turbo, along with the lighter weight and RWD, but have never had the opportunity to drive one (nor a Boxster or Cayman). Now I don't have to wonder anymore .... although I would be curious to know how the 997 GT3 compares to a lightly modded 996tt ....

Old 11-15-2011, 04:33 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
I think its great you took a test drive, I'm on the fence as well, since I only track my tt now I'm considering stepping up to a 996 cup (same year) I assume the handling will be night and day from the tt but the power and torque I know will be missed? I guess a test ride will be the only way to find out.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:31 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
I'm looking at getting something different too
It won't be for a while though, and it would be in addition to my Turbo

I'm on the hunt for a 930 Turbo

Old 11-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Carbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like the GT3 is the worst of both worlds then. With neither the refinement and balance of the newer mid-engine chassis and without the raw torque and kick to the seat of the pants of the Turbo.

When I was shopping for the Cayman S or 996TT, early on I was considering a 996 GT3 as well. As good as they can look, I quickly gave up as this was to be my DD, and they were going for more money even than the Turbos. How was the ride on the GT3?

Old 11-15-2011, 07:01 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
I had the chance to drive a local 997 GT3 and it was nice, but not as thrilling as my TT!

Old 11-15-2011, 07:05 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
To truely appreciate what a GT3 does you have to get it on a track. While I am a huge fan of the GT3 and want one, I do not put it on the same pedestal some people do. I also do not think that it is an unreasonable goal to achieve GT3 chassis tuning on a 996TT. Remember, the GT3 basically has an entry level coilover setup from the factory with adjustable lower control arms, adjustable sways and LSD. You will always be fighting the turbo lag on a turbo, but that is just the nature of the beast.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:54 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Driven the various cars ... Gt3 is a handling car and turbo is fast for sure.. My x50 was very fast now w the gt2 you get the handling of the gt3 but the acceleration is brutal and the ride overall is violent and very involved from the power &'torque plus raw no driver aids, handling, and braking with more power you amplify the effects of each of the cars functions making it more of a handful in each respective regard... I think that's why the gt3 being na works as a good formula for Porsche

Old 11-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
I have been shipping for a new DD an replacement for my 996TT as I would like to get into a "track car". So have been DDing my TT and having an absolute blast. In the past week have driven a 08M3DCT and 08M5SMG... The M3 was smooth but lacked the punch and the M5 felt rough and abused. Would like to drive The e55/e63 cars and see how they fare, but like the OP- really impressed with the TT and this is with the stock exhaust (TRG mod) back on. Sold my Switzer and Miltek exhausts.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:38 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Why'd you sell your other exhausts?

Old 11-15-2011, 11:53 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
If you spend alot of time on the track the GT3RS is a better choice than a 996TT. However on the street the 996TT is a lot more fun.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:09 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Why'd you sell your other exhausts?
Sold the Miltek for the Switzer (cross catless) then sold Switzer and reinstalled stock (with mod) as was planning on selling car. Now can't make up my mind!!!

Old 11-16-2011, 08:37 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
This is all Porsche's fault, if only they had named the Turbo "GT Turbo" there wouldn't be any debates like we have over here in the UK about how the Turbo just doesn't handle as well as the GT2 and GT3. On PH over here the GT3 is given some sort of God like status along with the GT2. mostly by people who have never driven the Turbo ( or GT2/GT3 for that matter).
There is little you would have to do to a Turbo to get it to handle like a GT2. I have PSS10's all round and can say it Bloody marvelous now. Like chalk and cheese.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:42 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Etchhead
Sold the Miltek for the Switzer (cross catless) then sold Switzer and reinstalled stock (with mod) as was planning on selling car. Now can't make up my mind!!!
If it helps I have a SpeedTech 3" cat-less X-flow/cross-flow exhaust and it is absolutely awesome. The X design really is the cat's meow and eliminates cruising drone found in non-crossflow systems.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:08 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sunnyside
This is all Porsche's fault, if only they had named the Turbo "GT Turbo" there wouldn't be any debates like we have over here in the UK about how the Turbo just doesn't handle as well as the GT2 and GT3. On PH over here the GT3 is given some sort of God like status along with the GT2. mostly by people who have never driven the Turbo ( or GT2/GT3 for that matter).
There is little you would have to do to a Turbo to get it to handle like a GT2. I have PSS10's all round and can say it Bloody marvelous now. Like chalk and cheese.

I agree. I think the turbo engine needs an excellent driver to extract 100% with the throttle. I have driven a gt3 extensively that belongs to a friend of mine. We rotate cars and he likes and has much more confidence in my car then his own. The gt3 was very nice but at the end of the day i would have taken my turbo hands down. The only thing I wish the turbo had... less weight . About 3050 would have been nice but hey as a all season dual purpose car NOTHING beats it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just drove a 996 GT3...very surprised at my reaction