996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 tt X50 oem wastegate adjustment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 08:22 AM
cosworth is infamous around these parts
996 tt X50 oem wastegate adjustment

Hi , i've got a 996 TT X50 with rs-tuning (cargraphic) ECU flash and cargraphic exhaust.
With this setup my car (oem K24's) only boost 0.9 in 2nd gear 1.0 bar at wot 3-4-5 th gears and rarely 1.1 in 6th gear under full load at high speed/rpms.
So i decide to adjust oem wastegate actuators setting..
Before was 10.5 mm from the nut to the end of the rod (passenger actuator) and 11.5 mm (driver actuator)...after tightening them by 4 full turns clockwise of the nuts on each side now is 14.5 mm and 15.5 mm.
Now my car boost 1.0 in 2nd gear , 1.1 at wot 3-4-5 th gears and 1.2 under full load high speed /rpms in 6th gear.
It seems i've got an additional .1 of boost by tighten actuators without problems of overbboting also now that in my country ambient temperature is around 35 F...so and i'm very happy.
I hope my Ecu flash can handle this 0.1 boost increase without risks of detonation , but looking how the car pulls (very well) i think yes.
Sure i run only shell v-powe 100 ron for precaution.
My only worry is if 4 full turns is too much tightened...and if with this "turn the nuts" metod to calibrate the actuators maybe the turbos are not perfectly syncronized and one wastegate can open a little first that the other one, so one turbo can evenctualy overspeed a little that the other one.
Basically i don't think this can be a great danger but sure i can wrong.
So i'd like to read your comments.
Sorry for my english ....i hope you can understand me.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:43 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
I think it will be fine as long as you continue to run high quality gas. Will not hurt the turbos if they are not perfectly synced, imo.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:18 AM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=cosworth;3375563]Hi , i've got a 996 TT X50 with rs-tuning (cargraphic) ECU flash and cargraphic exhaust.

if you do 4 turns exactly it should do it...what rev limit was set on your rs tuning?

Old 11-18-2011, 09:45 AM
I think it will be fine as long as you continue to run high quality gas. Will not hurt the turbos if they are not perfectly synced, imo.
Thank you Bailey for your post , what you've wrote it was what i'm thinking...
I don't know for how much boost level my flash was programmed in terms of timing ,ignition , fueling but Rs-Tuning declare 525 BHp with this stage ... I don't think i can get 525 Bhp with oem k24's at 1.0 Bar (that was my boost level befor actuator adjustment) , so my idea is that my tunershop had purposely manteined stock Wg setup to get a lower boost pressure in comparison at boost pressure for which the flash was actually programmed..
For 525 Bhp as declare from Rs- Tuning (with exhaust sure) IMO need at least 1.1 of boost that is what now i read on the gauge with spike 1.2.
following this logic ,the ECU as well as flashed should be able to handle 1.1 / 1-2 that i boosting now after adjustment wastegate.
Sure i always run 98 or 100 /europe) gas since my car was stock , at most reason i ran only 98 / 100 now.
About the 4 full turns of the nuts on the OEM actuators, i've heard Kevin from EPL to advise to make at most 2 or 3 turns to achive a total lenght (from the first nut to the end of the rod) of 31 / 32 mm... but 31 /32 was about my stock regulation so Now after adjustment i am about at 35 mm (passener) and 36 mm (driver)...it seems all go fine..i hope continues so.
About a possible or better a likely (i' ve marked the nuts to count the turns but this method sure can NOT be so accurate as a regulation under pressure) NOT perfect syncorized of the Wg opening i also think this can NOT be a Big trouble admitted that the misalignment was small.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:48 AM
what rev limit was set on your rs tuning?
WINNI I dont know if you remember ,but how i can deduce Thanks your information about RS settings ,my rev limiter shoul be at 7150 Rpm.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:54 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
HI,When I had my first tune,GIAC,they recommended that you do that also with their tune with the stock waste gates...Also to be on the safe side ,I would check to see that they are both even with that level of boost..

Old 11-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Your fine... if the ecu freaks put you will know about it

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 11-18-2011, 12:08 PM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
[QUO TE=cosworth;3375634]WINNI I dont know if you remember ,but how i can deduce Thanks your information about RS settings ,my rev limiter shoul be at 7150 Rpm.[/QUOTE]

yes i can..

Old 11-18-2011, 12:23 PM
HI,When I had my first tune,GIAC,they recommended that you do that also with their tune with the stock waste gates
You mean that GIAC advise to you for adjust stock wastegates tightening them to "make free" the boost level "wrote" on your flashed file...otherwise boost should mechanicaly limitated by weakness of the springs in the actuators with stock preload ?
If so i think i did a good job since i already have the ECU flashed.

Also to be on the safe side ,I would check to see that they are both even with that level of boost..
You mean YOU would check for perfect syncronized of both turbos to ensure that both Wgs opening at the same time ?
If so , i also would be sure of this but do you think that in case of one turbo were work just a little hardest that the other one ,this should cause damage ?

Old 11-18-2011, 12:35 PM
if the ecu freaks put you will know about it
Sorry Markski , but my English is very bad and really i don't understand what do you mean...
Can you explain to me as i were 5 years old ? (PHILADELPHIA Movie Quote )

Old 11-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
You car will shut down if you overboost... you will know when you have it too tight...

the best way to make sure your WGs are set correctly is to get a MYtivac hand pump and pressure test the actuator ....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 11-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
FYI, In the US Kevin's company is UMW, EPL's principle guy is Tony. Both good guys but different companies.

Originally Posted by cosworth
Thank you Bailey for your post , what you've wrote it was what i'm thinking...
I don't know for how much boost level my flash was programmed in terms of timing ,ignition , fueling but Rs-Tuning declare 525 BHp with this stage ... I don't think i can get 525 Bhp with oem k24's at 1.0 Bar (that was my boost level befor actuator adjustment) , so my idea is that my tunershop had purposely manteined stock Wg setup to get a lower boost pressure in comparison at boost pressure for which the flash was actually programmed..
For 525 Bhp as declare from Rs- Tuning (with exhaust sure) IMO need at least 1.1 of boost that is what now i read on the gauge with spike 1.2.
following this logic ,the ECU as well as flashed should be able to handle 1.1 / 1-2 that i boosting now after adjustment wastegate.
Sure i always run 98 or 100 /europe) gas since my car was stock , at most reason i ran only 98 / 100 now.
About the 4 full turns of the nuts on the OEM actuators, i've heard Kevin from EPL to advise to make at most 2 or 3 turns to achive a total lenght (from the first nut to the end of the rod) of 31 / 32 mm... but 31 /32 was about my stock regulation so Now after adjustment i am about at 35 mm (passener) and 36 mm (driver)...it seems all go fine..i hope continues so.
About a possible or better a likely (i' ve marked the nuts to count the turns but this method sure can NOT be so accurate as a regulation under pressure) NOT perfect syncorized of the Wg opening i also think this can NOT be a Big trouble admitted that the misalignment was small.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:57 PM
You car will shut down if you overboost... you will know when you have it too tight...
OK I understand , then in your opinion i can tighten the actuators a little more to get 1.2 not only spike but sustained ?
For OEM K24's what is MAX Boost range efficiency before they just pump HOT air in the engine causing low in performance ? 1.2 ?

Old 11-18-2011, 01:05 PM
FYI, In the US Kevin's company is UMW, EPL's principle guy is Tony. Both good guys but different companies
I've done confusion , i mean KEVIN of this thread:

Two frequent emails that I receive from 996TT owners are...

How can I raise my boost level on my existing Tuned program. And

How can I adjust my wastegates..

Typically one can crank up the actuators to increase the spring tension or increase the actuator "spring rate". This method is very limited and in most cases can only provide a tenth of a bar increase. On the top end of scale we see boost increase, but more importantly we will see a stronger pull through the midrange RPM. This occurs because the increased spring rate forces the wastegate flapper closed longer. Please remember that the exhaust entering the turbocharger is trying to exit thru the wastegate "GATE" due to the path of least resistance. The end result allows the turbine wheel to spool quicker and longer.

With stock K16's one can adjust the tension on the actuators 2-3mm, and yield yourself some nice gains that you can actually feel.

With Stock K24's one can also achieve the same goals.. While both turbochargers benifit from a minor adjustment the K24's will see more enlightment with the installation of a "wastegate spring kit"

Here's a picture of my wastegate kit. I designed it for the stock actuator. It allows one to keep the stock linkages vs having someone bend and cut a aftermarket Garrett actuator to fit the KKK turbochargers. The springs have been engineered for the KKK turbochargers.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
Beyond a certain point on the standard springs there's no more gain, you risk binding the springs. I'm not an expert on this but from what I have heard and seen, efficiency on the K24 drops off around 1.2 - 1.3 depending on air temperature. The boost the ECU will allow is the overriding control to all this and is often limited in the lower gears. Even if you see 1.2 on your boost gauge, it doesn't mean the ECU isn't pulling back the timing and power.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 tt X50 oem wastegate adjustment