996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Blown Turbo oh dear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 01:47 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RichardCH
tvm and that would result in, overboost I guess ?
If you do not have a pressure signal to the wastegate, you will likely overboost the snot out of the car. Look at the picture again. The spring only works as advertised with a manifold pressure signal (the one you had disconnected). The manifold pressure signal, working in conjunction with exhaust backpressure, will move the wastgate flapper door against the spring force and open the gate. The whole premise of the N75 valve is that it can *delay* or *bleed* the pressure signal to give you higher boost than base spring pressure. The safety feature is that with the pressure signal hooked up, the N75 can allow the entire signal to go to the gate and open it earlier instead of pulsing the valve to control boost to some higher value than base spring pressure. This is done in the event that the ECU sees something it doesn't like (knock, high IATs, etc)

In short, losing the pressure signal to your wastegates and going WOT is about the worst thing you can do to the motor.

You need to quickly get in writing that the shop left this hose disconnected and test drove the car.

Last edited by earl3; 11-19-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:57 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by earl3
If you do not have a pressure signal to the wastegate, you will likely overboost the snot out of the car. The spring only works as advertised with a manifold pressure signal (the one you had disconnected). The manifold pressure signal, working in conjunction with exhaust backpressure, will move the wastgate flapper door against the spring force and open the gate. The whole premise of the N75 valve is that it can delay the pressure signal to give you higher boost than base spring pressure. The safety feature is that with the pressure signal hooked up, the N75 can allow the entire signal to go to the gate and open it earlier instead of pulsing the valve to control boost to some higher value than base spring pressure. This is done in the event that the ECU sees something it doesn't like (knock, high IATs, etc)

In short, losing the pressure signal to your wastegates and going WOT is very bad.

You need to quickly get in writing that the shop left this hose disconnected and test drove the car.

+1, no WG hooked to N75 = full on boost and then engine can go boom. The N75 holds the pressure back to keep the WG from opening, but if no pressure getting to the WGs, then they will never open.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:33 PM
And996tt has a spectacular aura aboutAnd996tt has a spectacular aura about
My Impreza has an overboost cutout which kills the ignition if the boost goes too high,it happens sometimes when the wastegate solenoid gets dirty. Normal boost is 0.9 bar and the cut is at 1.2

Does the 996t have similar protection? I hope so

Old 11-19-2011, 05:50 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by And996tt
Does the 996t have similar protection? I hope so

I beleive it can snap the TB shut in a worst case scenario, however some tuners remove this. The issue is that the pressure tranducer has to sense the overboost, report it to the DME, DME decided its a bad thing, DME sends a signal to the TB and the TB has to physically move shut -all of this takes time (yes were talking milliseconds but at high rpm there are a lot of combustion events happening in those ms) and the engine may or may not survive.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:55 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
What about the ECU boost cut off at 1.3 bar as a factory safeguard? If 1.3 bar boost was reached, it would throw the car into limp mode. Unless it was upgraded via tuning that would allow more than 1.3 bar. Or was the ECU not able to get the boost reading due the hose being dicconnected?

Richard, did the car go into limp mode?

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 11-19-2011, 06:12 PM
Bo0stFreak is a jewel in the roughBo0stFreak is a jewel in the roughBo0stFreak is a jewel in the rough
I'd pull the pan to check if any metal from the turbo made it to your oil.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:08 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
The car if I recall correctly has a AMS tune and turbos.. thus the 1.3 boost cut if probably out of the way... Like it should...
IM guessing those who ran it had no idea but should have been known better...
Markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 11-20-2011, 12:08 AM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
Marski is correct I have an EPL tune with K16 AMS billet Turbos (or had), its amazing that such a little pipe like the N75 contoller has such a key roll, its just unfortunate for all concerned and I guess its going to cost 10K at the very minimum.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:27 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
It is very unfortunate. Most US shops carry insurance for "shop accidents" that cover this sort of thing. Maybe yours does too?

Best of luck with the repairs.

Jon

Old 11-20-2011, 04:04 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by raineycd
+1, no WG hooked to N75 = full on boost and then engine can go boom.
My bad, I looked the pic after few GT's..

Old 11-20-2011, 05:23 AM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
I guess the simple way to resolve this is to get the ECU read by somebody independent, if it went to 1.8 BAR boost for example without the N75 connected would in all cases an ECU readout show exactly this when and where or does it read as overboost without the exact BAR measurement and when it happened ?

Old 11-20-2011, 05:27 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I'd be picking the car up yesterday and taking somewhere else.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:17 AM
RCH
Banned
Yes it is going somewhere else for the work for sure but before I take back possession of a car with a damaged engine which I delivered in perfect working order I need to set some ground rules, comments about what the ECU readout will tell me please ?

Old 11-20-2011, 08:27 AM
And996tt has a spectacular aura aboutAnd996tt has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by RichardCH
its amazing that such a little pipe like the N75 contoller has such a key roll, its just unfortunate for all concerned and I guess its going to cost 10K at the very minimum.
My point is that it shouldn't have such a key role, there should be something there to back it up and save the day if it fails.

From reading posts above someone mentioned a cut at 1.3, does a standard car have this I can't tell from reading the posts? it also seems that tuners remove it which if true is unbelievably irresponsible.

So is it true to say that tuners modify cars to run higher boost and then turn off the protection.

I personally would not modify my car unless I knew there was protection.

I work in the chemical industry and if you wanted a system to work at a higher pressure you normally have to put extra protection systems in place after doing extensive risk assesments to maintain the same level of safety, you would never turn them off.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:37 AM
RCH
Banned
yes I agree but it looks likes this is not the case here and the N75 plays an extra critical role, can we focus on what the likely ECU readout will say

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Blown Turbo oh dear