996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Blown Turbo oh dear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 09:07 AM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
thanks why I am not going back there

Old 11-21-2011, 09:09 AM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
Anyway a brighter note today, engineer/garage has insurance and is talking about potentially using it, the car was been taken from there by Sportec on a closed truck for an initial inspection, they have a probe with a camera to look into the turbos etc - To be continued in a couple of days

Old 11-21-2011, 09:59 AM
Enrico is infamous around these parts
good luck

Old 11-21-2011, 12:34 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
For 7k I hope it involved a night on the town with the shop owners wife

Old 11-21-2011, 06:15 PM
paulycw is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by VAGscum
For 7k I hope it involved a night on the town with the shop owners wife
Things must be much more expensive in Europe.

In the US the 7K would lead to the shop owner, the service advisor and a few young ladies out on the town. Their wives stayed at home watching Desperate Housewives reruns.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:47 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RichardCH
Anyway a brighter note today, engineer/garage has insurance and is talking about potentially using it, the car was been taken from there by Sportec on a closed truck for an initial inspection, they have a probe with a camera to look into the turbos etc - To be continued in a couple of days
What kind of turbos did you have? Was it the AMS K16 billets you bought a few years ago and ran without a reflash? Sorry if I'm getting things mixed up but I thought I read that in an old thread from 09 where a bunch of people including AMS advised against it. If that was you, how did you like them?

Old 11-22-2011, 06:39 AM
RCH
Banned
I took the package of the EPL tune with the AMS K16 Billets, although I did waiver at first

Old 11-22-2011, 11:22 AM
RCH
Banned
and how do (or did) I like the K16 Billets; well they are an enhancement but not mind blowing

Old 11-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
and how do (or did) I like the K16 Billets; well they are an enhancement but not mind blowing
There is no bind blowing K16 turbo... not even k24...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 11-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Zmydust is a name known to allZmydust is a name known to allZmydust is a name known to allZmydust is a name known to allZmydust is a name known to allZmydust is a name known to all
Sounds like a nightmare, hope all works out

Old 11-22-2011, 12:08 PM
atisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
There is no bind blowing K16 turbo... not even k24...
If I wanna have my mind blown by turbos, what flavor should I chose?

Old 11-22-2011, 12:31 PM
RCH
Banned
Cool

Exactly Marski what do we need, are both k16s and k24s a waste of money ? all turbo upgrades ? but sure you have answer to the latter

Old 11-22-2011, 02:31 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Exactly Marski what do we need, are both k16s and k24s a waste of money ? all turbo upgrades ? but sure you have answer to the latter
no they are not... but expectations are subjective.. I cant stress the importance of boost leak free car set up right where the Wgs are set up right... the boost is where it should be so the car doesnt pull timing and or pump fuel... good intercoolers , etc... K16 and K24 hybrids will feel pretty good... the latter stronger of course... but when one is sold dreams and you buy into that then disappointment soon follows.. not saying yours is the case because you have good K16 hybrids... a well set up car is a sum of all the parts mechanically working together... turbos alone will not do the job...
Bigger turbos require even more money to make them work right...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 11-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
are both k16s and k24s a waste of money ?
I don't think the K24/18G's are a waste of money. I have had mine now for several years, after a few other upgrade levels prior to the the 24/18's. I think they are a great turbo. My car is fast enough now at 1.3 bar that I am completely satisfied and just enjoying it. However, I do have full supporting mods, so it's not an inexpensive option, if you do it that way.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 11-22-2011, 05:40 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
I find these last couple of posts humorous. It wasn't that long ago that a 550-650hp car was considered mind blowing. Granted, the advancements in power kits for the 996TT has come a long way and now an 800hp car isn't that un-common. But the thing I think about when it comes to power additions is what am I trying to accomplish? While I think a K16/16g or K24/18G setup would be fun, I can't think of a single need for it. I am chipped and right now my car can get me into trouble as it is. To me a 16G or 18G setup would be mind blowing. Of all of the limitations my car has, HP isn't one of them. Suspension, lack of LSD and understeer however are the limitations. But then again, it all comes down to intended use.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Blown Turbo oh dear