996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Blown Turbo oh dear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 11:11 AM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
Blown Turbo oh dear

Ok not a good day, I took my car to have the RS Motor Mounts replaced with OEM ones and my engineer as I have a 3 Inch Intake Pipe took this off and the air box to do the job, I am told by phone. Now they freely admit that they unfortunately forgot to reconnect one of the hoses to the intake pipe and when they took the car out for a test drive it resulted in what they believe is a blown turbo. I have K16 Billiets. Apparently it mechanically imploded there was smoke from one exhaust pipe, they immediately stopped the car and put in on a trailer. I will see it tomorrow. Now I should be very angry about this but they are such enthusiasts and I have done so many successful projects wth them. So obviously I need another K16 billet but do you think there is anymore likely damage ??

Old 11-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RichardCH
Ok not a good day, I took my car to have the RS Motor Mounts replaced with OEM ones and my engineer as I have a 3 Inch Intake Pipe took this off and the air box to do the job, I am told by phone. Now they freely admit that they unfortunately forgot to reconnect one of the hoses to the intake pipe and when they took the car out for a test drive it resulted in what they believe is a blown turbo. I have K16 Billiets. Apparently it mechanically imploded there was smoke from one exhaust pipe, they immediately stopped the car and put in on a trailer. I will see it tomorrow. Now I should be very angry about this but they are such enthusiasts and I have done so many successful projects wth them. So obviously I need another K16 billet but do you think there is anymore likely damage ??
Probably not. The turbos are located downstream of the engine proper and it is unlikely any shrapnel from the blown turbo made its way upstream and into one or more cylinders.

Had this happened almost certainly when the turbo let go the engine would have as well.

The repair I think not only involves the shop replacing the blown turbo but making sure there are no pieces of turbo in the exhaust system and this includes down stream too. Any pieces of turbo downstream can interfere with, partially block exhaust gas flow from the turbo.

Lastly, you might want to have the DME overrev counters read to see if during the test drive the driver, well, abused the car, the engine.

Whether you want to have this down at the shop that caused the turbo failure in the first place, or simply arrange to have the car flat bedded to another shop to have the DME overrev counters read is up to you. If you drive the car to the other shop and something in the engine goes boom it makes your position a little less strong. Not much but some.

Regardless of where you have the DME overrev counters read, if there are serious overrevs reported and the time at which they occured coincides with the test drive...then I think the issue becomes much more serious.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:50 PM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
I'm certain there was no over reving involved, these guys look after mods to both my Ferraris too apart from anything that needs to be officially done by Ferrari such as annual servicing.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:42 PM
And996tt has a spectacular aura aboutAnd996tt has a spectacular aura about
If the compressor side of the turbo failed too some of the bits could have made it into the intercooler,also with a pipe off the y pipe both turbos would overspeed as they are both connected to an open end

Last edited by And996tt; 11-18-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
I blew a turbo in my 997.1 at the track last July. When it grenaded it took out an intercooler and dumped a lot of oil into the exhaust ruining it as well. Pieces of the turbo along with the oil were aspirated into the motor (a first-line check for this is to pull your oil filter and cut it apart with an exacto knife examining it for (really) tiny specs of metallic substances. If you've got them, the odds that you have a big problem just went up significantly) which caused rod bearings to fail and bent one of the rods. I'm at $35K and counting (which does include some significant upgrades) and still don't have it put back together yet - which is another story altogether. When I initially took it to a Porsche dealer they thought that replacing the hardware would be sufficient since the motor still ran okay and the compression was fine. I was convinced by my regular mechanic, an ex Porsche team guy and the guys at Evoms to at least measure deck height tolerances - top of piston to cylinder wall. Had they been uniform and within spec we could have reasonably concluded the motor internals were intact and undamaged. Unfortunately, they were not which necessitated a complete motor tear-down and rebuild. Had we ignored the motor per the P-dealer's initial diagnosis it probably would have run okay for awhile but eventually the trashed rod bearings and bent rod would likely produced a catastrophic event. Also, the (white) smoke out of one exhaust pipe that you report was the same symptom I encountered. My motor still was idling fine with adequate oil pressure after the turbo let go.

I really hope your situation is not as dire as mine turned out to be but I would encourage you to do adequate due diligence especially since you're not the one who caused the problem. Good luck and please let me know if I can help you with any of this. I know I was a real mess for a couple of weeks while I tried to get my head wrapped around the range of rotten possibilities.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
unless something fell in while driving your turbo should be fine... inspection of the wheel will tell the story...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 11-18-2011, 03:35 PM
tphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of light
Can someone please explain to me why did this turbo blew up?
If they forgot to connect a hose from the turbo to the intake shouldn't the boost from the turbo just be released and not go to the intake?

Old 11-18-2011, 04:05 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Its not going to blow up just because the intake is not connected... I think there is a high level of speculation... Im pretty sure they didnt hurt the turbo...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 11-18-2011, 05:37 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Can someone please explain to me why did this turbo blew up?
If they forgot to connect a hose from the turbo to the intake shouldn't the boost from the turbo just be released and not go to the intake?
I am betting they also had the boost hose that goes to the intercooler loose or off. When that happens the ecu sees that the boost is not meeting requested and ups the n75(wastegate control valve) duty cycle to 100% which overspins the turbo. This makes journal bearing turbos angry.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:19 PM
greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !
sorry to hear. if you need some cheap k16's let me know.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:53 AM
RCH
Banned
This looks like it is much more serious as the engine does not turn over, no external signs of any damage, there was some smoke, no oil. The rubber hose on the intake Y pipe they forgot to connect is a very small tube on the lower right after the Y, before the plenum, what function does this rubber pipe have please ?

Old 11-19-2011, 02:57 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
This looks like it is much more serious as the engine does not turn over, no external signs of any damage, there was some smoke, no oil. The rubber hose on the intake Y pipe they forgot to connect is a very small tube on the lower right after the Y, before the plenum, what function does this rubber pipe have please ?
Well, that's the boost controller valve's ( N75 ) inlet...without that there's no boost control except WG valve springs.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:05 AM
RCH
Banned
tvm and that would result in, overboost I guess ?

Old 11-19-2011, 04:14 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
tvm and that would result in, overboost I guess ?
Actually no. Without pressure the WG is kept closed only by the spring pressure. This a safety feature.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:18 AM
RCH
Banned
Great pic tvm, strange then, I took the car in in perfect condition, the Y pipe was removed and refitted for the engine mounts and the mechanic said he took it out for 2 test drives (without the N75) and it didn't sound right, he checked it over and found the N75 pipe disconnected and took it out again, he hit the boost from 60 mph and something blew on the RHS but maybe the damage was done by then ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Blown Turbo oh dear