996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Engine drop and bolt on mods

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:23 PM
0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=RennFab;3377514]

" I put the pins in because I have had cars slide on the bare jack stands before when jacking the car up at angle. Little scary."

Excellent advice! In my younger days while taking the -6 motor out of my 914-6. One of the three prong jack stands had moved and was sitting on TWO legs.. If I did not spot that, I too would not be here today. I guess some one up there said....no it's not his time yet. Be careful and good luck!

Old 11-22-2011, 07:00 PM
RennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of light
^ Yessir. I'm not a fan of the three leg stands because of that very reason(tipping over) The big 6 ton boat anchors from HF are very solid and have a wide footprint, and and they make larger 12 ton versions as well. Not that you'd ever use the weight capacity, but the large footprint makes them super stable.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:56 PM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
I would almost pay you to do a step by step engine removal with pics or video.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:25 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
The new and improved jack stands. I just drilled and taped for a .750 bolt. This way I can remove them if needed to work on other cars.

Got the car back up in the air. I took Rennfabs excellent advise and lifted to 32.5 inches from the bottom of the bumper support to the ground. Also have it .250 higher in back than the front.

I did learn one thing. Before you remove or disconnect the battery. Turn your windows down about .250 or you can not open or close the doors with out power.

So far I have the bumper removed as well as the air filter housing. I am taking this slow as I am going to keep this a fun thing.

Pumptech - I will post pictures as things progress.

Someone also asked what turbos I am installing and forgot to answer. They are Alpha 28s.

Attached Images   
Old 11-23-2011, 05:21 PM
RennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by pumptech
I would almost pay you to do a step by step engine removal with pics or video.

I can do pics of the engine install steps after Monday. Just do that in reverse

Old 11-23-2011, 11:48 PM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
Yeh I'm gonna have to put it back in. I expect taking it out is the easy part. I just finished a long block and limited intake parts and brackets full tear down to bare bones!! Parts for sale soon!

Old 11-25-2011, 11:16 PM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by TurboTodd
I would love to have a lift, I just don't.
If you don't have a dog you must hunt with a cat!
With it up on these stands I have 22 inches clearance from the lowest point of the engine to the floor. I can safely go higher as the stands are at the lowest setting. But at this height I can work on the top side as well as under comfortably. It also looks like enough clearance for the engine to drop down and slide out. I will be using a motorcycle as well as a transmission jack to lower the engine out.
Dumb question, I'm missing something; How do you get the car so far up there without a lift, really large jacks?

Old 11-25-2011, 11:49 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
I use two floor jacks to get the car up in the air. I start with a small low profile jack and some smaller jack stands. then move up to a high lift floor jack and larger twelve ton jack stands.

Starting to make some progress. Have the exhaust and inter coolers removed.

Attached Images     
Old 11-26-2011, 05:42 AM
kato1453 has a spectacular aura aboutkato1453 has a spectacular aura about
This is a beginners question, but where do you place the jack to lift the car before placing the jack stands? Changing exhaust soon.
Thanks

Old 11-26-2011, 06:00 AM
alittleboost is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kato1453
This is a beginners question, but where do you place the jack to lift the car before placing the jack stands? Changing exhaust soon.
Thanks
People say engine but I'm guessing he used the cross member? I'm also confused about this, pictures?

Old 11-26-2011, 12:37 PM
There are many ways to get the car up on stands. Your car has four jack pads. One right in front of the rear wheel and one right behind the front wheel. If you look at the side skirt the is a little arrow pointing to them. I start out with a low profile floor jack under the rear jack pad. lift the car on the rear pad until the front is high enough to get a jack stand under the front pad. Do the same thing on the other side but leave the low profile floor jack there. Put the other floor jack under the back of the car on the rear cross member. Lift the car up from the back until you can put the rear stand under the rear pads. Many knowledgeable people say it is safe to lift on the engine. I never do.

Attached Images   
Old 11-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
Is there anywhere safe/strong enough to lift at the front besides the jacking points?

Old 11-26-2011, 01:13 PM
another good spot in front. you normally have to get the car in the air and wheels off before you can get to it

Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Thanks Todd; looks to me like a separate plate welded over a box section that area? it's all covered with the under sealant I think that's what you're referring to.

Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2011, 02:56 PM
thats the spot.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Engine drop and bolt on mods