996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Engine drop and bolt on mods

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:23 PM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
Can you grab the dimensions on that before you install it?

Thanks,

Tom

Old 12-09-2011, 01:12 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tvurt
Can you grab the dimensions on that before you install it?

Thanks,

Tom
It is 4.740 inch long x .313 inch dia

Old 12-09-2011, 01:14 PM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
Thanks! I will make myself a longer one and install it this winter.

Tom

Old 12-10-2011, 11:30 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
Flywheel, clutch and GT2 slave installed. Everything just slid together using the excellent Talisman03 DIY. I'm really happy I decided to remove the engine for this. I don't think it would be fun doing this under the car.

Attached Images      
Old 12-12-2011, 08:37 AM
Are you doing the 997 Transmission mount? I put mine in when I did the GT2 hydro conversion.

Tom

Old 12-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by tvurt
Are you doing the 997 Transmission mount? I put mine in when I did the GT2 hydro conversion.

Tom
Yes I am going to the new mount as well as the 997 short shifter.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:13 AM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Any chance you could snap some pics of the coolant lines that run over the drivers side of the motor? I've been having this annoying minimal leak since spring. I used a bore scope to see if I could see it and it's hard to tell which is the coolant lines as its all jammed in there. Pressure tested it as well and not a drop in pressure. If you can't I'd understand as well. Just thought I'd ask as its hard to get close pics of this area by looking online.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:25 AM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
are you sure it's not your overflow tank?

Old 12-13-2011, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by gearhead
Any chance you could snap some pics of the coolant lines that run over the drivers side of the motor? I've been having this annoying minimal leak since spring. I used a bore scope to see if I could see it and it's hard to tell which is the coolant lines as its all jammed in there. Pressure tested it as well and not a drop in pressure. If you can't I'd understand as well. Just thought I'd ask as its hard to get close pics of this area by looking online.

I hope this helps. If you need any more pics just let me know. I have hundreds of em

Attached Images    
Old 12-13-2011, 12:48 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Pumalex, I dont think its from the tank as I pulled the alternator y pipe etc. and the tank looked fine. It is the older version but I think its ok. I bought another tank just in case. I have this terrible feeling its on the oil cooler as I can see risidual old coolant that seems to come from at the back running down the drivers side.
But thank you for the help.
Todd, thank you for the pics, makes more sense when your not staring into a small hole to tell whats going on. Definetly don't want to drop the motor to fix what would take me two seconds on any other car.
Always wondered why they didnt make a removable panel in the package shelf to access the top of the motor.
By the way thanks to both Rennfab and yourself for the posting, very informative.

Last edited by gearhead; 12-14-2011 at 01:01 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:21 PM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
Where is the drip ending up? I had the coolant tank on my old 02 C2 (RIP). I thought it was a line too but ended up hair line crack in tank. Was dripping back to driver side exhaust tip. But only if tank was full enough to expand to a level above the crack. Hope
It's not oil cooler but if it is I've got one for sale.

Originally Posted by gearhead
Pumalex, I dont think its from the tank as I pulled the alternator y pipe etc. and the tank looked fine. It is the older version but I think its ok. I bought another tank just in case. I have this terrible feeling its on the oil cooler as I can see risidual old coolant that seems to come from at the back running down the drivers side.
But thank you for the help.
Todd, thank you for the pics, makes more sense when your not staring into a small hole to tell whats going on. Differently don't want to drop the motor to fix what would take me two seconds on any other car.
Always wondered why they didnt make a removable panel in the package shelf to access the top of the motor.
By the way thanks to both Rennfab and yourself for the posting, very informative.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:10 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
Todd i noticed your low on reps so i think we should all fix that GREAT WORK

Old 12-13-2011, 04:33 PM
Pumptech, it's not enough to drip on the ground, it's making a nice candy coating on the block though. I've never had to top up the tank yet but noticed it has gotten lower since spring. I'm going to attack it again soon, just been lazy and its a pain to access. But what isn't.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:37 PM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
Right!! Well sometimes you don't want to know what it is, particularly when your suspicions lead to having to drop the motor! Even if it's just a loose hose clamp it's a pita! Make your own access panel, if it's done right it could be an asset and nobody know it's there but you.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:20 PM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
gearhead, watch those darn fittings also that could start to come out of their hole.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Engine drop and bolt on mods