996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Shifted into third and CRUNCH!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 09:25 AM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Sean
Sorry to hear the bad news but Happy Gooble Gooble day
Robert

Old 11-24-2011, 09:44 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Thanks Rob, Happy T day to you, too.

There are people, lots of them, who are going hungry this day, so my 3rd gear issue falls into the category of luxury problem.

You have PM.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MBailey
Sean
Sorry to hear of the breakage!

Do you think there was anything different about the shift that may have contributed or just a cumulative effect of a lot of power put on the tranny?
Both, I am sure. To be honest, I was having some fun and speed shifted.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:18 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
sean i would spend the extra money and have them beefed up, like powell did.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:58 PM
tvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Then someone reminded me that she could have taken out a policy w/ out my knowing about it.
Not related to the thread but just so you know, you can't take insurance on someone w/out their consent/signature.

Sorry to hear about the tranny, make sure the shop inspects all of the parts in the box as I'd suspect collateral damage from pieces rattling around in there.

Good luck, props to you for putting things in perspective and reinforcing how fortunate most of us on this board are to even have "problems" like these vs. not being able to provide for basic needs.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:21 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear about the gearbox problem.

I can warmly and strongly recommend Bill Rader Motorsport, he'll take care of you really well, really swiftly, he's meticulous, will get you a full photo report of your entire so you know what happened, and he has good relationships with gear vendors. He goes the extra mile and has very impressive merits in building Porsche motorsports gearboxes. PM me for contact info. When I contacted GBox for a small issue with a completely new rebuilt gearbox they just told me to get a new box they had sitting. I didn't feel they had anything else in mind than make $$ from me and at the same time neg rep the people involved in supplying parts for my built tranny. There was no feeling that they wanted to help me take care of my problem.

I ended up fixing mine (2nd gear popout) by the help of Bill Rader for less than $200 in parts (from California Motorsport). Saved me roughly $7000 vs going with GBox's recommendation.

Last edited by MrWhite; 11-24-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by tvr-4
Not related to the thread but just so you know, you can't take insurance on someone w/out their consent/signature....
I guess I am safe

Mr White,

Will give them a call. thanks. Also going to look into a recommendation given me by Chad. Its good to have options.

Now....must....stop.....eating....pie

Old 11-24-2011, 09:31 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Just a quick thought. Did you use the third pedal for the the shift? I may be new to the whole "clutch" thing, but I'm thinking that needs to be used during the shifting of gears.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
Just a quick thought. Did you use the third pedal for the the shift? I may be new to the whole "clutch" thing, but I'm thinking that needs to be used during the shifting of gears.
Yes, it was stomped to the floor the whole time

Old 11-25-2011, 07:43 AM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Yes, it was stomped to the floor the whole time
Stomped to the floor the whole time You do know, you are suppose to release it in between shifts, right ?

Old 11-30-2011, 06:16 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Any news yet Sean?

Old 12-01-2011, 12:08 PM
scheduling it to be picked up on Sat.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:41 PM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
I hope everything is fine now Sean

Old 12-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Yazz911TT is infamous around these parts
Guys I'm thinking of having my G-box cryogenically treated in order to avoid this happening. Do you think that is a good idea???

Old 12-01-2011, 01:38 PM
RennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of light
While it's a worthwhile process, cryo is not the end all. I wouldn't open up and break down an otherwise "OK" gearbox just to have the parts cryo treated. If it's already apart or coming apart for other bits(LSD, syncros, etc) then yes, that and/or REM treatment on the tooth profiles.

I use 300 Below for the parts I have cryo treated during rebuilds.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Shifted into third and CRUNCH!