996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Shifted into third and CRUNCH!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 02:49 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Matt from GT Gears recommends going back with a straight cut gear - stronger than the stock
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ictures-3.html

Old 12-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear that man. I think someone else did the same exact thing in the last 6 months? basically engaged clutch with gear half engaged and stripped the whole gear This is an unfortunate fact of life when hurrying a cable operated gear box.

Don't drive the car or drive as little as necessary. The piece floating around in your tranny could and will kill the other gears!

I suggest doing the 997t input shaft? It gives you better gearing (taller) in gears 1-3 a big plus in a modified TT. I know it's a lot, but I would definitely try and do an LSD while I was in there... slippery slope of course.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Of course you can just source a used 9996T, 997T or GT2 tranny and bolt it in?

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 12-01-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:35 AM
S4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really nice
Sorry for hear that! Good luck on your tranny rebuild!

Old 12-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Oh, I have not driven the car since. Going to explore options once we get her out and dissasembled.

My local mechanic is picking her up tomorrow.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Former Vendor
GTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
Matt from GT Gears recommends going back with a straight cut gear - stronger than the stock
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ictures-3.html
Or even just replacing the stock ratio 3rd gear with one of ours. The factory ratio is a 27:38 toothcount, which comes out to a 1.407 decimal ratio. We make the replacement as a 22:31 toothcount, which is a 1.409. What this does is make the tooth larger with a stronger root and shear strength without changing the effective ratio. Obviously, we make a large number of alternative ratios as well, but a lot of people like the stock 3rd gearing and as such we sell a lot of those 1.409 3rd gears.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:45 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GTgears
Or even just replacing the stock ratio 3rd gear with one of ours. The factory ratio is a 27:38 toothcount, which comes out to a 1.407 decimal ratio. We make the replacement as a 22:31 toothcount, which is a 1.409. What this does is make the tooth larger with a stronger root and shear strength without changing the effective ratio. Obviously, we make a large number of alternative ratios as well, but a lot of people like the stock 3rd gearing and as such we sell a lot of those 1.409 3rd gears.
Rodger from Orbit recently contacted you re; 996tt 3rd gear (my car) so I hope we went with the stronger gear for the extra hp.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Matt,

I have gotten a price from GBox for replacing 1st-3rd gears and replacing the shaft and syncros. If you would like to PM me a price I would be interested.

Sean

Old 12-05-2011, 02:46 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Hoping it's not too bad for you buddy

Old 12-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Huh sorry to hear about this mate. This trully sucks. What bhp are you running?

Old 12-05-2011, 03:13 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
599hp wasn't it?

Old 12-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Sean, when my box was rebuilt, my indy used Matt for all his parts...

My box upgrade ran me a total of $11300. We converted the hydraulics to GT2, added a guards 40/60 LSD and also had a fresh Clutchmasters disc (fibertuff) installed, along with 997.1 mainshaft, 1/2 with brass syncros, 5th was a PMNA unit, and 3-5 syncros replaced with steel. All bearings replaced, rollpins replaced and safety wired, and all seals replaced. When I sold the car the trans was the last thing I expected to go, but apparently the clutch wasn't setup properly and the clutch fork shifted under a heavy launch by the new owner and he bent the clutch fork and broke the release bearing and pressure plate...

Your's will hopefull not be this expensive, since you aren't doing all that to it... but be prepared. The mainshafts alone can get really pricey and if they need replaced, you have to replace first gear/syncro as first gear is machined as part of the mainshaft.

Mike

Old 12-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by ant_8u
599hp wasn't it?

Lol...

Mike,

I am doing 1-3, shaft and syncros. Gbox is doing it for $6K, which I understand is a pretty good price. Going to leave 4th-6th alone, as they usually don't get broken.

Its 3rd that usually breaks, and you can't upgrade to the stronger 3rd if you don't do 1st-2nd.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:31 PM
vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !
Are you getting upgraded 1-3s for 6k or OEM? Steel Synchros?

Old 12-06-2011, 12:18 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Lol...

Mike,

I am doing 1-3, shaft and syncros. Gbox is doing it for $6K, which I understand is a pretty good price. Going to leave 4th-6th alone, as they usually don't get broken.

Its 3rd that usually breaks, and you can't upgrade to the stronger 3rd if you don't do 1st-2nd.
Lol? He he he so more!

Old 12-06-2011, 04:47 AM
Originally Posted by Terminator
Lol? He he he so more!
There's a back story
I'll PM you so as not to clutter the thread

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Shifted into third and CRUNCH!