996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Race Gas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 07:47 PM
CAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond repute
Race Gas

If I run 100 octane gas in my stock turbo will I see any differance in performance? I found a station in town and wanted to know if I was wasting my money or hurting the car by running 100 octane gas.

I would probaly mix it with the 93 as it is 4.00 a gallon here. Input please!!!!!

Eric

Old 10-16-2003, 07:50 PM
turbo03 is infamous around these parts
YES

You will see more boost. You will feel more POWER. I do it and I like it.
Give it a try and report back.

Old 10-16-2003, 08:07 PM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Re: Race Gas

Originally posted by CAPTLST
If I run 100 octane gas in my stock turbo will I see any differance in performance? I found a station in town and wanted to know if I was wasting my money or hurting the car by running 100 octane gas.

I would probaly mix it with the 93 as it is 4.00 a gallon here. Input please!!!!!

Eric
Be careful, my buddy with a Turbo IS300 (Lexus) bought 103 octane Race gas the other day, but it had water in it, and he almost blew his engine!!!! Also watch out for leaded...100 is unleaded, but if you go higher, just watch out...
Regards,
Evan

Old 10-16-2003, 08:54 PM
Duane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud of
Yes you will notice a difference. You will get spoiled and end up always running 100 octane which is what happened to me.

Old 10-16-2003, 09:49 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Can you use race gas if you have a modified ECU? In other words, is the modified ECU only meant to operate at 93 octane or less?

-Lou

Old 10-16-2003, 09:51 PM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Originally posted by LSM
Can you use race gas if you have a modified ECU? In other words, is the modified ECU only meant to operate at 93 octane or less?

-Lou
Yes you can, I asked the same thing awhile back, Stephen and others said its fine...
Regards,
Evan
PS-Duane where do you get the 100?? VP Fuels?? That is where my buddy got the bad gas, be careful if that is where you go!!!

Old 10-16-2003, 09:53 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by AMG ETR
Yes you can, I asked the same thing awhile back, Stephen and others said its fine...
Regards,
Evan
PS-Duane where do you get the 100?? VP Fuels?? That is where my buddy got the bad gas, be careful if that is where you go!!!
Evan,

did you ever try it? I mean is there any advantage?

-Lou

Old 10-16-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by LSM
Evan,

did you ever try it? I mean is there any advantage?

-Lou
I have not tried it yet...nearest place to get it for me is 30 mins away, however I will be in that area tomorrow, maybe I will pick some up.
However!!! I have heard it doesn't burn as well, so you have to drive very sprited for it to be effective...
If you are not going to be driving hard then it was not reccomended.
(This is what I have been told)
Regards,
Evan

Old 10-16-2003, 10:35 PM
LSM
Originally posted by AMG ETR
I have not tried it yet...nearest place to get it for me is 30 mins away, however I will be in that area tomorrow, maybe I will pick some up.
However!!! I have heard it doesn't burn as well, so you have to drive very sprited for it to be effective...
If you are not going to be driving hard then it was not reccomended.
(This is what I have been told)
Regards,
Evan
Thanks Evan. I think I will just hold off, no need to take any chances.

-Lou

Old 10-18-2003, 11:05 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
100 octane rocks!

Old 10-18-2003, 02:24 PM
Chris Y. is infamous around these parts
Lou...

I agree with Hamann!!! I run it if I can get it, if not I always try to have some in the tank to achieve a higher octane rating to be safe. usually 1/2 92 and 100 octane. Works very well.

Tyson...I also changed to Motul Ow-40 yesterday per Wilbur's recommendation and my car runs a lot happier now. excellent stuff

Old 10-18-2003, 03:48 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
That's funny Chris, cause I changed back to Mobil 1 since I was tired of trying to locate Motul oil all the time.

Maybe I should switch back... hmmmm...

Old 10-18-2003, 04:12 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
I was thinking it may be a good opportunity to gas up with some 100 octane at the Tail of the Dragon meet in North Carolina. Does anyone know if there is a station in Asheville, NC that has 100 octane? They simply don't sell the stuff in NJ.

Old 10-19-2003, 04:59 AM
Chris Y. is infamous around these parts
Hamann...

Yeah...Motul is pretty difficult to locate, but hey...Wilbur has the hook ups!!! I actually brought some back from Hong Kong and it was cheaper than here in the states.

100 octane and Motul 0w-40...wow, our cars sure live the good life

Old 10-19-2003, 07:03 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
As far as tuned cars go such as Stage X what I understand that going to race octane of say 108 or higher will not make that much difference unless you have a program you can switch to for that octane. With the chipswitch you could have a 93 octane rating and then another program of 108 or whatever. So I don't think in a modified car above 100 will make much difference unless you have the ECU programmed for it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Race Gas