996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

02 Turbo electric driver seat problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 05:45 AM
expoman55 is infamous around these parts
02 Turbo electric driver seat problem

Hey guys my first post here to take it easy on the old guy. My son has just purchased an 02 911 TT with 26k miles. He is the wrench, I am the electric guy but confess to not knowing much about this car yet. The previous driver told us the seat switch was broke(yep sure is capt. obvious) physically and electrically. We purchased a new switch, plugged into the controller under seat and whalla.. NOT WORKING! Fuses good, passenger seat, mirrors etc all function. Do I need to do something special to 'reset' this thing? The previous owner told us to NOT touch the memory controlls or the seat would move all the way back and not move forward. SO I dont want to make it worse. HELP! Please! I would appreciate any light you can shed!

Old 11-29-2011, 11:19 AM
02 TT driver seat.. plug diagram?

Bump!~ Ok how about a plug diagram with what is plugged where under the seats or any links to this problem if you have heard of it before?

Old 11-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
I wish that I could help you, but I know nothing about the seat memory/controls. Maybe you could try posting on Renntech.org?

Old 11-29-2011, 05:35 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Sounds like the motor might be the culprit. But I'd def test the switch and motor w/a multi-meter to determine the exact problem.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:38 PM
I doubt all 3 motors are shot as none of them move or even click.. I actually purchased a new switch as the previous owner said his mechanic diagnosed it to the switch.. I pulled the old one out of controller and plugged in new one. Nothing Nada.. fuses are good.. Do you guys know anything about "resetting' the seat via the Piwis system? I have never hear of such a thing for a seat but again I don't know this car system much..Right seat, mirrors etc. all function through the controller as normal..

Old 11-30-2011, 04:06 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
The seat system is really simple. Three motors (main operation) that can be operated independently with a simple jumper. (See wiring diagram) There is two fuse for this system E4 and E3. Sometimes the plugs (X16) (22 pins) under the seat, get wet. Do a good inspection in this area. Also take a good look at your ground! Ground point 6 and 7! They also can be bypassed for troubleshooting....

Attached Images  

Last edited by jpflip; 11-30-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:58 PM
02 911 tt electric driver seat problem

JP, Thanks for the reply and the schematic ! that is terrifically helpful. Do you happen to have a layout pic of the plugs on the control box under the seat? I saw one on a forum but cannot find it now that I need it.

I checked the fuse so now I can check the +12 in. I like your thoughts on the ground. The previous owner said his mech determined the switch was bad and to not touch the memory switches or it would put the seat all the way back. I think I need to just dig in to this thing now once I find the plug layout.. and check the grounds first.
thanks again.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:19 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Sorry I don't have any picture. Look all my collection of mechanical pictures collected from the net and could not found any. I forgot to mention about a Porsche Technical service bulletin (TSB) mentioning a possibility of a pinch wire under the seat....Here it is....

Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2011, 05:34 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I'm not seeing the memory circuit in the diagram. I have trouble with my lumbar limit but only if I store seat position using the key. If I use the memory switches, I don't have a problem. There is a pile of info on clearing and setting the memory here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...emory-key.html

Last edited by Slider; 11-30-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:35 PM
02 911 tt driver seat

JP Thank you that is awesome.. You have been most helpfu. I appreciate it.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Quick update gents, I pulled the seat module today FINALLY.. checked voltage and ground from in power plug '6'. Both present from my multi meter! Next pulled each motor circuit and provided 12v and ground from plug 6 via jiumper and switch and all motors engage and operate. Installed new switch and NADA.. brand new switch. Mirrors operate as they should. I did take apart old switch to find some fried cirucuit tracks on the switch board. SOO no blown fuses now but previous owner could have fried replaced them. Whats next? New Memory module OR do I have to reset the car computer or something? Anyone have a module they pulled that is good and not need they would like to part with ? Thanks

Old 12-07-2011, 06:58 PM
ANYONE ? have a seat memory module available? Or have any other ideas?

Old 12-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by expoman55
ANYONE ? have a seat memory module available? Or have any other ideas?
Might be worth the cost of an hour's diagnostic time at a local dealer to have the tech diagnose the cause of the seat's behavior.

I'm not aware that there is any controller that needs resetting. But I've never had any problems with my Turbo's seats and I've never had an occasion to speak to a tech about this subject/area.

You probably do not want to replace any hardware, seat control modules, whatever, unless you have a high degree of confidence you are doing the right thing. I suspect none of the stuff you're thinking of replacing is cheap. Plus there's risk that there's something else wrong and installing a new whatchmacallit seat thingie could have the new one as dead as the one that is in the car now.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Driver seat not moving

Macster, You make a good point. Trouble is my closest dealer is 1.5 hours away. Still worth it however for sure. I agree with you. I really don't want to replace this memory mod that is why I was looking for a used one.
Will the Durametric system diagnos it? I am thinking about buying the software and cabling.