996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 tt upgrade from 18 to 19

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 05:17 PM
hpsyork996 is infamous around these parts
996 tt upgrade from 18 to 19

Im upgrading to 19 inch rims can some one recomend what tire sizes i should run for staggered set up thanks in advance anthony will 305/30/19 rear work for this 01 996 tt

Last edited by hpsyork996; 11-30-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:50 AM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Some say yes but the optimal size is 235 35/r19 front 315 25/r19 rear. Been running these sizes for years and it's what most if not all guys do. Plus I think 305's in the rear would look too narrow on the rim.
Also this should be posted in the general forum, but glad I could help regardless.
Be aware if you run continentals or michelins, Great tires but they are inside/outside bias. Meaning they are not rotational left and right and will have a shorter life span as you will tend to get inner tire wear with larger tires than stock. This issue is also exaggerated if your car is lowered at all.
I personally run falken's as they are rotational biased only and can be rotated doubling there life span(I just did this last week as my inner tire wear was getting pretty bad). Plus they are decently priced and hook up pretty well.
Biggest thing is stay with the same manufacturer front and back. Don't mix and match. Some guys say it's ok, but most say it will destroy your front differential. Personally not worth the risk.
Good luck, love my wide tires

Last edited by gearhead; 12-03-2011 at 01:53 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Dharma is infamous around these parts
For my new fikse 19" the tires are supposed to be 315/25 and 225/35 because the diameter is only .1 off.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:44 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Dharma, as soon as your rears get worn down and you replace them again with the same size, but still run your original fronts as the don't wear as fast you will get abs/psm failure lights periodically.
Run the sizes I say and it will never happen. Do a search you will see what I'm talking about.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Thanks, could you be a little more specific? These are supposed to be the right ones! Does it mean that I can't really replace the rears without replacing the fronts at the same time?

Richard

Old 01-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Gearhead,
The guy at Porsche ordered 315/25 and 225/35 of Michelin. They're supposed to be great for the Fikse profil 10. You're saying 235/35 and 315/25? Is the diameter exact on those? Thanks.
Richard

Old 01-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Oh, you know what... I think since I have so much written down that I just saw the same as you said the 225/35 and 315/25 written too. I think I might have put the wrong ones on the 6speed accidentally. These are correct right?

Richard

Old 01-12-2012, 10:38 PM
From my personal experience of owning two different turbos totalling some five years daily driving I have had no issues what so ever with running 235/35 r19 up front and 315/25 r19 out back. These are the sizes I'd recommend and if you search it's probably what most guys are using. I just went and walked out to the garage to verify so the numbers in this post is what works, at least for me. I researched it on 6speed years ago before I ever ordered tires and it has worked flawless for me for years.
Not to say yours won't but I read about guys going through the problems I mentioned earlier in the post. It's not a huge issue if it comes up, just annoying. That's why I went with the sizes I did. I lived through this issue on a 350z years ago. It forced me to drive around with the traction control off to stop the hurke,jerky traction control kicking on.
Ps2's are great tires but be aware going with larger tires increase inner tire wear and it's even worse if your car is lowered. So periodically look under the car to make sure your not down to the threads before its too late. And welcome to the fat tire club.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:01 AM
Thanks Gearhead,
I bothered the parts guy at Porsche again this morning, so I'm hoping I'll get it right. I'm still waiting for the Fikse so I've probably got some time left. I'll tell him the 235/35 and 315/25 and hope those will work. If the match does it and figures it out, are these going to be exact as far as diameter?
Richard

Old 01-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Yes, those are the sizes I, and most if not all 6speed guys run for trouble free enjoyment. Not sure if you have to get ps2's but I'd buy falken's or something not "NO" rated if you can, here's why.
996 turbos have alot of rear camber from the factory (better handling I guess) and when you switch to larger tires it increases the inner tire wear and if your car is lowered in any way this exaggerates the inner tire wear. Now why is not running "NO" rated tires better? Here's why, "NO" rated tires are great don't get me wrong but they are quite expensive (especially ps2's) and they are inside/outside bias. In other words they can't be rotated, right side must stay on the right side, you can't rotate the rears left and right as the rubber material is different (half of the tread is one compound, the other half is another compound) makes for a great track tire but a short life street tire as inner tire wear kills tires on our cars.
Now a tire that is NOT "NO" rated like falken's are rotationally bias. In other words they are rolling directional only. So you can rotate them left to right doubling your inner tire wear life. Plus there a little cheaper.
Again ps'2 are great but you will get a longer life out of non "NO" rated tires as you can rotate them.
Hope this helps
Scott

Old 01-23-2012, 10:23 AM
AngelOfGrief is infamous around these parts
Hi, on my 996tt I run 305/30/R19 on the back, that's what stock 997 tires are, hmm. Previous owner ran same size with PS2, but I bought Pirelli P-Zero Rosso instead. Fronts are 235/35/R19. Rims are Cargraphic. What's bad about 305s?

Last edited by AngelOfGrief; 01-23-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Hey there,
don't know yet. I've just been getting all these warnings that my PSM will go off and the front transmission will grind if I don't use the exact correct wheel size (diameter). I'm simply worried myself so I'm looking for all the suggestions... ha ha.. but there are many people giving many suggestions if you get my meaning! Suposedly if Im going from 18" to 19" then the tires have to be exact for diameter or I'm in for trouble. Depending on the wheels etc. If you check out Fikse and Tire rack you'll get two different tire sizes so that's what I mean...

Richard

Old 01-23-2012, 01:11 PM
AngelOfGrief is infamous around these parts
Well, 997 turbo stock sizes are 305/30/19 and 235/35/19 for summer. Winter is 295 instead of 305. I think it would make sense to use same wheel sizes as 997t, since 997t uses R19 as stock variant. Of course, if you use different wheel diameter (rear vs front), it will make your differential and PSM go crazy: that makes sense, but it's true for any 4WD car.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Maybe...I tried my 997 wheels on my 996 and the wouldn't fit since they were too close to the frame. I ordered the fikse profil 10 and I'm still waiting on them. I've already got the michelin tires but only when I try them will I know...when I check the shop again ill post the size and let you know success or failure!
Richard

Old 01-23-2012, 01:19 PM
Oh, I got 11.5 and 8.5 in front with 12" tires so well see...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 tt upgrade from 18 to 19