996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Dilemma. Keep my Turbo or sell it and get a Boss 302

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
I read this, banged my head on the wall, came back and re-read it. It still didn't make any sence to me.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:31 PM
tphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of light
Just to consider, a new Shelby is coming out that should be improved and much more powerful (650HP).
My brother has a BMW 335ix up in Quebec and it's also a blast to drive (with the m-sport package, 6-speed).

Oh and since you say you're not really about image, to be honest if I lived where it's snowing I would seriously consider a Mitsubishi Evo or a Subaru STI. They are really fun to drive and have amazing handling, power and grip for the price. Very cheap to maintain and very reliable (+AWD of course).
I had a 2004 STI for a year, it was an amazing car and as reliable as a brick.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Boostin is infamous around these parts
I haven't had a chance to read through the thread but just wanted to let you know that you aren't the only one considering this. I have been having some thoughts about selling my TT and getting the boss 302 laguna seca.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:46 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
+1 on C63 if you need a more practical car within that price range.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:36 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Hmm...Like they say,There is NO substitute for a Porsche...Maybe if you were talking about the new Shelby instead,I would have to think hard about that then...lol....

Last edited by johnspeed; 12-03-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:47 PM
YZWILLY is a jewel in the roughYZWILLY is a jewel in the roughYZWILLY is a jewel in the rough
Don't

You will be very sorry, and realize you made a huge mistake when the new owner drives away and realize how great the turbo's wide rear looks as it leaves. Then your kids won't talk to you, then you will have sellers remorse as u try to replace it. The TT is already depreciated, $140,000.00 cars now selling for $50,000.00. It is a super car, drive it as such and come to your senses. Good luck.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:47 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Turbo versus Pony

Hang on to the Turbo and buy a Subaru WRX to tear up the place . Four seats, 15K investment, all-yr around driver. Depreciation negligible. Fun factor : HUGE!

Old 12-03-2011, 07:30 PM
S4Drifter is infamous around these parts
Thanks to all who have posted.

Can't say I am running away from the abyss, but I have stepped back from it. I think I will keep the car in hibernation for the winter while I think about it some more. Maybe i just sell it in for a younger version. Oh maybe I just sit back and thank my lucky stars that if this is truly a dilemma in my life then I am indeed a very lucky man.

Cheers.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:22 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Mustangs are always attractive on paper. I too really like the idea of a Boss 302 (though I'm not sure the laguna seca makes it better or worse ) or better yet a 650 HP New GT500 coming up. Every 5-10 years since 1984 (when I got my license), I decide I want a mustang. Take a test drive, and walk away thinking they feel like trucks, curiosity satiated for another 5-10 years.

The issue when going to any American Muscle / Sports car is the refinement, or lack thereof. It's hard for me to think that someone who really appreciates German engineering (arguably at it's best in the turbo / GTx Porshes) can be wooed by pile driver power that feels ham fisted.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:30 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
When I first saw the thread I figured you might have been looking a a 1970 Boss 302.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
If you are worried about depreciation - don't buy a new car - specially a Ford. It will be worth 30% in 5 years (if you use it as DD). The TT has already realized the bulk of its depreciation.

I see many have suggested you get an AWD car for the winter... I used my TT all last winter and I have to say - it drives like a tank in the snow! Nothing could be better. Instead of taking the hit on depreciation on a new car, just put some bucks aside for any minor repairs that may be ahead and drive the TT more.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:43 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
I've never owned any Ford products, but assuming the experience would be like owning a Chevrolet (2004 C5 Z06 in my case), it was the little details that drove me away. I loved the powertrain as much as you could love one, although the gearbox felt a bit fragile overall. However, it was the interior, vague steering feel and bulky wheel, and basically all of the driver interface items (wheel, shifter, e-brake, door handles, switchgear, seats) that really let that car down. I have a feeling the Ford will be more of the same, whereas the details were really sorted out on the 996 Turbo. Now that some significant maintenance is out of the way, I bet you'll have many thousands of trouble-free miles with your 996TT...and don't let the mileage worry you as there are plenty of 100k+ mile 996TTs out there, with more joining the club all the time. Best wishes!

Old 12-04-2011, 07:45 AM
tscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to behold
I wouldn't buy it, but I'm not a Mustang guy. I think your logic is pretty good and it is an awesome car.

Now for me, if I needed family room, luxury and speed, I'd buy an E55. Oh wait, I already did.

Moddable to amazing HP.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:33 AM
XPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to behold
Interesting I just got a Boss 302 to run the One Lap of America in 2012. So far 1200 miles I have been impressed and will see how I like it at Sebring Dec 11. The Boss does need brake cooling added along with front Camber Plates for track use along with the usual brake pads and fluid upgrades. Now my 6GT3 is not going away. . I look at the Boss like a GT3 high revving nimble throw it around type of car and the Shelby GT500 like my ex GT2 a Sledgehammer that kicks you in the ***

Peter

Old 12-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Boostin is infamous around these parts
Peter, please keep us updated if you wouldn't mind. I'd love to hear your thoughts after you've had it out Sebring.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dilemma. Keep my Turbo or sell it and get a Boss 302