996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Autobahn is a splendid one to beholdAutobahn is a splendid one to beholdAutobahn is a splendid one to beholdAutobahn is a splendid one to beholdAutobahn is a splendid one to beholdAutobahn is a splendid one to beholdAutobahn is a splendid one to behold
Michelin Pilot Super Sport

I need some tire advice going from 18" to 19" wheels.

I am currently running 18" Michelin PS2 235/40 & 315/30 on 996.2 GT2 wheels.

I also have a set of 19" Ruf wheels, which are 11" wide in the rear vs. 12" for the GT2 wheels. I am considering getting a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/40 & 305/30.

Are there any issues with running the MPSS in those sizes?

Old 12-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Autobahn is a splendid one to beholdAutobahn is a splendid one to beholdAutobahn is a splendid one to beholdAutobahn is a splendid one to beholdAutobahn is a splendid one to beholdAutobahn is a splendid one to beholdAutobahn is a splendid one to behold
Bump.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:30 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Autobahn
I need some tire advice going from 18" to 19" wheels.

I am currently running 18" Michelin PS2 235/40 & 315/30 on 996.2 GT2 wheels.

I also have a set of 19" Ruf wheels, which are 11" wide in the rear vs. 12" for the GT2 wheels. I am considering getting a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/40 & 305/30.

Are there any issues with running the MPSS in those sizes?
I run 19x8.5 and 19x11 RUF wheels on the street with 235/35 and 315/25 PS2s. This the size recommended by RUF

Old 12-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
You need to look at tire height 26.3" for the 305-30-19 and 26.7" for the 245-40-19 in the Pilot Super Sport: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ot+Super+Sport

The 996 Turbo comes with 25" tall tires from the factory front and rear.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
I run 19x8.5 and 19x11 RUF wheels on the street with 235/35 and 315/25 PS2s. This the size recommended by RUF
I would prefer to run 245 front and 305 rear since I have too much understeer with my current setup.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by ari
You need to look at tire height 26.3" for the 305-30-19 and 26.7" for the 245-40-19 in the Pilot Super Sport: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ot+Super+Sport

The 996 Turbo comes with 25" tall tires from the factory front and rear.
Stupid question, but why does it matter that they are taller compared to stock? I always thought that the main criteria was to ensure that the front and rear have the same diameter (or very close)?

Another reason why I would actually prefer the larger diameter is that I could slightly lower the car to close the gap between fender and tire. I have a steep driveway and can't lower it any further on my current setup.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:08 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Stupid question, but why does it matter that they are taller compared to stock? I always thought that the main criteria was to ensure that the front and rear have the same diameter (or very close)?

Another reason why I would actually prefer the larger diameter is that I could slightly lower the car to close the gap between fender and tire. I have a steep driveway and can't lower it any further on my current setup.
You will have clearance issues with the taller tires rubbing on the fender liners especially in the front when turning. In order to decrease understeer, you need to dial in some addition camber in the front. I run -2.1 in the front and -2.0 camber in the rear along with a stiffer anti roll bar in the rear. Understeer is gone.....

Old 12-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Thumbs up

You will have clearance issues with the taller tires rubbing on the fender liners especially in the front when turning. In order to decrease understeer, you need to dial in some addition camber in the front. I run -2.1 in the front and -2.0 camber in the rear along with a stiffer anti roll bar in the rear. Understeer is gone.....
Excellent information. I will look into getting 19" PS2 instead.

What anti roll bar are you using?

Old 12-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Excellent information. I will look into getting 19" PS2 instead.

What anti roll bar are you using?
H&R. It's 24mm I believe and adjustable. I run it at the middle setting. It is quite a bit thicker than the RUF bar that was on the car. As you stiffen the rear bar you will be increasing oversteer, or in your case, decreasing understeer. Reducing rear toe in will also decrease understeer as it will make the rear more willing to "come around".. I run 1/16" total toe both front and rear..

Old 12-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Thumbs up

H&R. It's 24mm I believe and adjustable. I run it at the middle setting. It is quite a bit thicker than the RUF bar that was on the car. As you stiffen the rear bar you will be increasing oversteer, or in your case, decreasing understeer. Reducing rear toe in will also decrease understeer as it will make the rear more willing to "come around".. I run 1/16" total toe both front and rear..
Perfect. Thanks for yor help!

Old 12-04-2011, 07:01 PM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
as an fyi you will notice a lot of road noise reduction with these tires.. its amazing what just a good quality tire can do.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by porka
as an fyi you will notice a lot of road noise reduction with these tires.. its amazing what just a good quality tire can do.
which tires are you referring to? PS2 or PSS?