996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Time to fix the wheels...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Time to fix the wheels...

So, the winter wheels have been put on to take me to March and now I can attend to the disgraceful state of my summer wheels. Last winter, I thought it would be a good idea to clear coat the aluminium lip to allow me to clean the wheels without scratching them.

My 996 is my DD - I take it everywhere and I wash it whenever it's not going to rain for a couple of days. I found that the lip scratches if you touch it at all. So I clear coated the wheels and it looked OK until I used wheel cleaner one day. After that, they developed white spots and even though I didn't do it again, the spots kept growing.

Here are the "before" pictures...

Over the last week, I pulled out the metal polishing gear and removed the clear coat and polished to lip back to the original high gloss. Here is what they look like now...

Now I'm ready for the summer - can't wait!

Old 12-03-2011, 09:45 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
They look like new again! How did you clean them up?

Old 12-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I used a #2 metal polishing wheel to get the clear coat off and start the polishing, then switched to the white wheel to buff. I used the metal polish in the deep part of the lip. They really do look new again!

Old 12-03-2011, 10:08 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Nice! So you in the tech industry it appears? I have noticed a trend with these cars - engineers, tech and other gear head types! lol

Old 12-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by raineycd
Nice! So you in the tech industry it appears? I have noticed a trend with these cars - engineers, tech and other gear head types! lol
Yep - I'm not afraid to jump in and try to fix stuff myself. If I really screw the pooch, there's always the dealer...

Old 12-04-2011, 12:20 AM
x X CLoud X x is a glorious beacon of lightx X CLoud X x is a glorious beacon of lightx X CLoud X x is a glorious beacon of lightx X CLoud X x is a glorious beacon of lightx X CLoud X x is a glorious beacon of light
great job, looks like a new set of wheels again

Old 12-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
I just have 1 set of wheels. My wheels are in horrible shape and I am going to re polish and shine them up in a few weeks when I've got the car on stands for mods and maintenance.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:32 AM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
I powder coated mine over two years ago. Gloss black lips with a charcoal grey face.
All I can say is this stuff is crazy tough. Gloss black shows every scratch(at least my car paint does) and my rims look just as good as the day I got the back from the coater. Perfect.
Nice plus if i don't wash them for a while everybody thinks there satin black lips until I run my finger across it to show that "no their just dirty".

Old 12-05-2011, 06:33 AM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
What kind of wheel cleaner caused the spotting?

Old 12-05-2011, 11:32 AM
DYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to all
Looks amazing now. Cleared lips require maintenance as well. If you apply Wheel Wax from the get go it makes everything easier. The clear does need to be waxed as much or usually more than your car paint does. Uncleared lips require plenty of maintenance too but the best part is they never pit and can be made to look like a mirror finish. Gorgeous wheels btw!

Old 12-05-2011, 02:55 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
I'd have used Nitromors to remove the clear, then polish as you did

Old 12-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by Onetime
What kind of wheel cleaner caused the spotting?
It was advertised as "clear coat safe" and was in a red & black spray bottle. Unfortunately I tossed it as soon as it happened so I don't have the bottle any more for reference...

Old 12-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by DYL 911
Looks amazing now. Cleared lips require maintenance as well. If you apply Wheel Wax from the get go it makes everything easier. The clear does need to be waxed as much or usually more than your car paint does. Uncleared lips require plenty of maintenance too but the best part is they never pit and can be made to look like a mirror finish. Gorgeous wheels btw!
Wheel Wax??? Where do you get that?

Old 12-05-2011, 06:10 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
I now put Collinite 845 wax on my wheels - very durable wax